• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

MR G

First XI⭐
Still on a high and have watched pigotts goal about 50 times I'm afraid just wanted to say how well jack Payne did. The Wycombe guy was heading for the corner and he chased him about 60 yards never giving up and put in the tackle to get the ball to Weston. Plus he took a mean penalty, well done young man!

Yep, the boy done good. Just needs to spend a bit of time in the gym to toughen up a bit. May not start a huge number but he's a great person to have in your armoury on the bench.

Still on a high and have watched pigotts goal about 50 times I'm afraid just wanted to say how well jack Payne did. The Wycombe guy was heading for the corner and he chased him about 60 yards never giving up and put in the tackle to get the ball to Weston. Plus he took a mean penalty, well done young man!

The games payne played in and scored done really well, jack would be the first person on my teamsheet ..saw him last year knew he was a great player

Yep, the boy done good. Just needs to spend a bit of time in the gym to toughen up a bit. May not start a huge number but he's a great person to have in your armoury on the bench.

No he wont, his shirt is too small to fit one on. Single number probably be best. :smile:

Payne has plenty of potential, Im sure he will feature more next season if we can just work out where to play him

Think in many ways our promotion will help him. A lot more of his kind of games with the ball on the deck as opposed to long ball teams with big centre backs kicking lumps out of people.

Payne's always going to struggle for a first team place at this level because very few managers in League 1/2 will risk playing an attacking midfielder from the start since it creates gaps in our defense. If we go a goal down however and need to throw caution to the wind Payne is an excellent option to come off the bench.

I couldn't agree more with this its almost as if I wrote it myself! Some on here questioned Payne as a substitute, but he makes things happen. prior to the equaliser there was a chance for Payne to be in on goal, but Corr's lay off was to heavy and too wide and led to Leonard giving away a free kick instead.

I watched the match again this afternoon (much to the wife's chagrin) and to see Jack win the ball with 30 seconds to go and find Weston makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - what if the Wycombe player had got away......

could he do a job in and around Corr? not quite a second striker but closer to him than a central midfielder? i know he's been tried there but has often got too deep. i think it's a tough position to play especially so young but might do a job there.

i think his initial route into the side might be wide left, learn the game there and then look to move into the middle maybe

Thats pretty much the position he has played most times he has been used, just off of the main striker.

Its always going to be hard fitting him in, most want 442 with two strikers, which doesnt leave room for Payne. He will either play in a 451 and sit just behind Corr, or as used later on in a 4411/442 sitting just behind Corr.

Wonder if he'll end up doing a Moussa. The Moose was always a bit to lightweight and continental to play through the middle (albeit, further back from where Payne normally plays) but had enough skill and talent to play out wide. After learning his trade and getting stronger he was able to play alongside a central striker in a wide 3 for Coventry.

It might be worth Payne playing a bit on the wing so he continues to develop, because I worry he won't get enough minutes in the hole in L1. Otherwise he needs to go on loan, but to a club playing his system.

Tricky one really, he's clearly talented but his position counts against him at the moment. Big pre-season for him.

What to do with Jack Payne? Do we keep him predominately as an impact sub with the occasional start, or do we build sides around him? These debating points will, I think, be discussed a lot this season. If he puts muscle and body mass on will that help? There are no simple answers to any of the above points because it really does depend on how he develops this season as a professional footballer. I'm guessing Phil is gradually introducing him into a more regular starter and I am going to trust his judgement because I don't really have any answers to my questions. If I did I could easily be manager of Southend United if PB buggered off to a bigger job.

could he do a job in and around Corr? not quite a second striker but closer to him than a central midfielder? i know he's been tried there but has often got too deep. i think it's a tough position to play especially so young but might do a job there.

i think his initial route into the side might be wide left, learn the game there and then look to move into the middle maybe
I agree with this - play him in a 4-4-2 as a LM. Away at Northampton last season he absolutely terrorised them from that position. I know he's not going to be as good a crosser as say McLaughlin but he doesn't have to stay wide all game, he can switch around with Timlin and look to get the ball more infield on occasion. I think he is a real talent and wouldn't send him out on loan, he could easily have a break through season next season.

I don't think Corr and Payne as a front 2 has worked when I've seen it.

I think it is wrong to say that Payne can only play in the hole behind the striker. I reckon he could play on the wing as he has the dribbling ability, although his crossing could do with some work.

Second top scorer for us remember!!! cant be letting him go anywhere! Fantastic player with a good future WITH the Blues

I thought he showed great maturity and 'balls' in taking one of the pens in the shoutout

He is still relatively young, I guess PB has the answers as to where he fits within the team, he deserves more than being a bit part player / impact sub...

he's still developing so it's fine that he hasn't learnt his role yet. as he develops he'll hopefully find his place or develop into one. he might of course develop into a different player from the one he starts out as.
i hope he doesn't put on much bulk, his speed and agility are his great assets along with his close control so i'd rather he did lots of running than resistance gym work. get that core strong and strength in the legs without losing what makes him good at the moment then we'll just need to find a position for him. maybe this season will be a bit of a slow one for him with the step up, that's fine too, all part of the development

I think he needs to establish a position of his own in the team. Left mid could be it, with McLaughlin going back and Hursty / Worrall preferring the right. Weston has done well as an impact sub, but we all know he can be inconsistent when he starts. As you say, I doubt we'll be playing an attacking diamond shape in League 1 and i'm not sure Jack would be happy with just being an impact sub all the time. I'd hate to see him move on and make the grade elsewhere. Still, PB knows the kid and i'm sure he'll have plans to integrate him.

Its pretty clear that no one really knows how to use him in a 442 other than sticking him on the wing, where personally I think he is a square peg in a round hole.

However there is a big positive with him, in that he does mean if we want to deviate from 442 he is an ideal player to slot in.

I think we could probably play him on the right of a front 3. Similar to Messi when he started with Barca. When Payne dribbles the only way to stop him is to foul him!

Plus he's two-footed enough to provide a threat on the outside of a full back.

I'm not sure more muscle is the answer, just get him to keep doing what he's doing!

Back