• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I would not be surprised if Sheffield United are seriously interested in Jack Payne.

Not impressed with him, or the fact we didnt sort his contract out sooner. Bentely leaving was bad enough but we need to tie our promising youngsters into better deals.

If the players refuse to sign what's put in front of them, I don't think there's anything more the club can do. We haven't got the funds to offer silly money or the delights of a new stadium, either.

Agents dont work on their own, he and Payne would have talked and he will be carrying out his wishes.

If Payne isnt signing a new contract its because he doesnt want to.

Whilst he came through our system he isnt a local lad, he is from London and still lives there as far as I know.

All very frustrating that as soon as he matures into a first team player he buggers off. Beginning of the season he wasnt quite there but has grown throughout the season.

Not impressed with him, or the fact we didnt sort his contract out sooner. Bentely leaving was bad enough but we need to tie our promising youngsters into better deals.

Lets hope tribunals give us a fair amount, cant see it with Payne though.

i was also wondering why we slip up on actually not being quicker off the ground with sorting out contracts ourselves, especially for younger players with potential . The likes of Hurst get. 3 year deals whilst promising youngsters like Bentley and Payne could have been offered better deals earlier. Maybe we are not to consistent ourselves on the contract front, I'm not wholly convinced it's always just the fault of the nasty greedy agent, thus view helps shift any chick up by the club away from themselves?

Ha ha for chick up, think male organ as my fierce naughty word detector on the eye pad this time wouldn't allow the word ****

I doubt whether Payne will play as many games next season as he has this.
Sadly , I dont think Bentley will flourish either.
I would not be surprised to see both of them back in this division in 4 years.

Sure, the pair of them are good, but given the pony lot we have had to put up with in the last 7 or so years, I think we have a slightly glossy view

Zzzzzzz blame Jack or his agent,I mean top scorer and head and shoulders above the rest,playing negative football isn't his forte.

Good luck Jack it's been a pleasure watching you play.

I doubt whether Payne will play as many games next season as he has this.
Sadly , I dont think Bentley will flourish either.
I would not be surprised to see both of them back in this division in 4 years.

Sure, the pair of them are good, but given the pony lot we have had to put up with in the last 7 or so years, I think we have a slightly glossy view

If that's the case then they are doing the right thing and leaving this summer. Get as much money while you can

i was also wondering why we slip up on actually not being quicker off the ground with sorting out contracts ourselves, especially for younger players with potential . The likes of Hurst get. 3 year deals whilst promising youngsters like Bentley and Payne could have been offered better deals earlier. Maybe we are not to consistent ourselves on the contract front, I'm not wholly convinced it's always just the fault of the nasty greedy agent, thus view helps shift any chick up by the club away from themselves?

Could depend if the club wants to gamble by tying-up the playing budget by investing in so-called 'promising' players who may (or may not) reach their expected potential or better, not so sure with our finances we can afford that luxury. To me, Jack is still developing as a player and noticeably physique / body strength. Of course, if his agent tells him he can do better elsewhere then tha says a lot about his agent's motives....

Pleased to know though we have taken that leap of faith with Ted Smith with a contract to 2018. I would like to see the same confidence or risk if you prefer , by extending young Mr Bridges contract now , beyond next year as is currently the situation.

Could depend if the club wants to gamble by tying-up the playing budget by investing in so-called 'promising' players who may (or may not) reach their expected potential or better, not so sure with our finances we can afford that luxury. To me, Jack is still developing as a player and noticeably physique / body strength. Of course, if his agent tells him he can do better elsewhere then tha says a lot about his agent's motives....

Don't get me started on agents! Too many of them are more interested in maximising their own earnings from the sometimes obscene percentages of the deals that they broker than in the best career interests of the players they are representing. Going back 20 years or so, a former England U-19 schoolboy international that I knew well used the PFA, rather than an agent, to negotiate on his behalf and advise him. As a result, he made sensible career moves, always played First Team football until injury ended his career and was always very comfortable financially. I wish we could get rid of these parasitic agents from the game in the interests of both the players and the clubs.

I truthfully don't know whether Jack Payne's agent is a dubious character or not. What is certain is that he only has Jack's interests at heart and not the club's. That way if he brokers a lucrative deal with another club then he benefits via his percentage. That is what the agent is in business for, to make money for his client and thus himself. This has been the case for years now in football and I'm not sure why so many get worked up over something that is now part of the fabric of football. I'm not saying that I like it the way it is now, but it's not going to change any time soon, if ever. Also, there will be good agents and bad agents, it the same in all walks of business life.

If that's the case then they are doing the right thing and leaving this summer. Get as much money while you can

I think you are missing the point - deliberately or otherwise
the point being made is that the course of action they are taking means that they are more likely to be in league one of four years time that if they had continued to play for us for another year - getting regular football and developing.

Last edited:
icon1.png

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by spoons
Good luck to Payne if he goes. He deserves better than how he has been treated here.
Bentley destined for great things if he keeps his feet on the ground so to speak.
Would love to see little Messi develop, sadly it seems not with us.

how have we treated him badly ?​

Where did I say he was treated badly, Brown never gave him a run that he merited, not to say it was bad, just misguided.
Hurst had similar treatment and Weston.
Best to read posts before misquoting them.

how on earth am I misquoting you?
I highlighted the quote
You said he deserves to be treated better, by definition that means that you think he has been treated badly. How did you think people would interpret your post. If you think he should have got a run say that. Other comments on this thread show that I am not the only one to have viewed your comment in this way

I think you are missing the point - deliberately or otherwise
the point being made is that the course of action they are taking means that they are more likely to be in league one of four years time that if they had continued to play for us for another year - getting regular football and developing

the course of action they are taking

So was it a mistake for Freddy Eastwood to sign for us and not stay with Grays for another year.

Bentley and Payne are never going to sign one year deal anyway. Its the right thing for them to move on for both financial and career reasons. If they do well, another club will take them off of who ever signs them this time. That's how professional sport works and we just have to except that or alternatively, we can support Barcelona.

I truthfully don't know whether Jack Payne's agent is a dubious character or not. What is certain is that he only has Jack's interests at heart .......

I don't know who the agent is but rest assured his own personal interests will be right up there alongside, or above, Jack's.

I truthfully don't know whether Jack Payne's agent is a dubious character or not. What is certain is that he only has Jack's interests at heart and not the club's. That way if he brokers a lucrative deal with another club then he benefits via his percentage. That is what the agent is in business for, to make money for his client and thus himself. This has been the case for years now in football and I'm not sure why so many get worked up over something that is now part of the fabric of football. I'm not saying that I like it the way it is now, but it's not going to change any time soon, if ever. Also, there will be good agents and bad agents, it the same in all walks of business life.

i totally agree. It's the way football is run and it has been the case for ages. If I was either player I would most definitely be employing an agent who would be working for my best interests. I would be looking to get the best financial deal as well as moving to a club which would also enhance my future career. It's a fine balancing act between the two. I can understand the arguments put by many that it may be best for them both to stay to further develop to them enable to do this but the chance for both is now, who knows what could happen in a couple of years. Football is a short career compared to most and we all know there is always the chance of sustaining a serious injury, which has ended many a players career.

The challenge for the club is to get into a position where they are capable to meet the demands of the better players both financially and career wise. All smaller clubs are the same. This probably is not unique to the club.

I know it is a very sad situation for the club and us supporters but that's the way football is and if I was them I know I would also be seriously looking at my future and would be looking at different opportunities to progress further and at the earliest chance. Whether or not that is with our club or another one it would depend what they were, which I cannot comment on as I am not privilege to.

If they both go which is looking we move on and continue to try and progress.

Just noted in latest local press that PFA player of the year Bradley Dack , ( Gillingham ) who lives close to Palace , may be subject to a £2.5m bid from that club. He and someone called Egan both in League one team of the year. Dacksa potential was spotted some time ago , like Jack. Dack was signed up quickly on a decent contract. Gills turned down £2m alleged offer from Bristol City. Payne, contract run down, value at tribunal ? £200,000
Gillingham are very good at investing in youngsters and tying up contracts early with them, like Peterborough, not that long ago they sold Gazzinga ( Goalie ), under contract by the way for alleged £2.2m, plus other sales brings them in over £5m over relatively short period and helped fund team strengthening. All their prospects were ensured they were under contract early unlike Payne and Bentley?

I don't know who the agent is but rest assured his own personal interests will be right up there alongside, or above, Jack's.

I am told that Jack has changed agents to one of the biggest if not the biggest in the country, so probably more like a team rather than some dodgy character in a grotty little office and a big cigar.

Lets not get carried away with the myth that its all the agents fault and those innocent little cherubs that kick a football are being lead astray. Jack has gone with a company who have a reputation of being cut throat and ruthless. Southend were not even worth a phone call to let them know, so young jack can't complain when he finds himself out of the team.

The clear message to any agent.....Be ruthless or you will lose your client. That message is player driven, no one else.

I suppose another factor for Gillinghams approach is that Edinburgh is pretty firm about his attitude towards them especially in regards to youngsters. Figures on a previous thread also supported how little Gillingham pay to agents

So was it a mistake for Freddy Eastwood to sign for us and not stay with Grays for another year.

Bentley and Payne are never going to sign one year deal anyway. Its the right thing for them to move on for both financial and career reasons. If they do well, another club will take them off of who ever signs them this time. That's how professional sport works and we just have to except that or alternatively, we can support Barcelona.
Give me strength . We can all quote examples, the list against your point would be somewhat bigger. Instead of being argumentative all the time consider reading what people write and their opinion. Other people think that long term their careers would develop better, and therefore the money would follow if they stayed. You disagree, I get that. But your point that therefore they should leave now ,BASED on the specific post you were replying too made no sense. You are now doing your standard moving the goalposts.

Back