• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
As Clinton Baptiste predicted correctly, yesterday, Jacob Blyth is the new striker target being tracked by Phil Brown. If we appear to have failed with Jakub, at least we may get Jacob in.
Yet another player named............I'm starting to wonder whether there is some ulterior motive for all this naming of targets. I don't remember this tactic being employed last year but there again my memory is not that good

Given that Brown is actively chasing players that either appear on the PFA's transfer and out of contract list, or players that have spent the majority of their career being available for and on loan; I really don't see why people are concerning themselves about him naming his targets. I doubt many managers read the Echo, to be alerted to the availability of a player that's already on the Professional Footballers Associations list of available players, or that has spent the majority of his professional career on loan.

We're desperate for any tidbit of information so let's enjoy the openess Brown currently enjoys, when letting us know of his efforts to bolster the squad. And don't worry, he's not giving away any secret player's; those that are available will be widely documented and know to opposing managers.

http://www.thepfa.com/transferlist/listedplayers/sortbydate/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/1/

Last edited:
Given that Brown is actively chasing players that either appear on the PFA's transfer and out of contract list, or players that have spent the majority of their careering bein available for and on loan; I really don't see why people are concerning themselves about him naming his targets. I doubt many managers read the Echo, to be alerted to the availability of a player that's already on the Professional Footballers Associations list of available players, or that has spent the majority of his professional career on loan.

We're desperate for any tidbit of information so let's enjoy the openess Brown currently enjoys, when letting us know of his efforts to bolster the squad. And don't worry, he's not giving away any secret player's; those that are available will be widely documented and know to opposing managers.

http://www.thepfa.com/transferlist/listedplayers/sortbydate/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/1/

I agree with you, the naming of players has no bearing on the chances of that player consequently sign for us. No, it wasn't at all in that sense that I used the words 'ulterior motive' in naming targets. Perhaps I should make it simpler and pose the question, What purpose does it actually served, by naming targets? and for whose benefit is this information being broadcast??

Sort damned if you do, damned if you dont !

He could say he is chasing a forward and a defender and refuse to name these players, then on here would be accused of lying about the fact that he is not chasing anyone at all, because we are under an embargo or some blah blah blah rubbish.

However, when he names players, he is then accused of alerting other Clubs. I for one, reckon that all smaller clubs, in their local press actually name people they are chasing. All these players have agents at the end of the day, and it is the jobs of the agents to alert other Clubs, not the local press (or manager speaking to their local rags).

I agree with you, the naming of players has no bearing on the chances of that player consequently sign for us. No, it wasn't at all in that sense that I used the words 'ulterior motive' in naming targets. Perhaps I should make it simpler and pose the question, What purpose does it actually served, by naming targets? and for whose benefit is this information being broadcast??

I think the simplest answer is probably the right one. He's just trying to show the fans that he's actively trying to strengthen the side, a case of; look at me and my ambition for the club trying really hard to give you fans the signings you want. A little vain maybe but we know our Phil is not one to shy away from vanity.

It appeases fans and show we are out there trying to sign players.

As TTS says, if they dont publicise anything people moan, if we get some information but not names people moan, and it appears if we name a player and he doesnt sign people moan.

So basically we moan.

Sort damned if you do, damned if you dont !

He could say he is chasing a forward and a defender and refuse to name these players, then on here would be accused of lying about the fact that he is not chasing anyone at all, because we are under an embargo or some blah blah blah rubbish.

However, when he names players, he is then accused of alerting other Clubs. I for one, reckon that all smaller clubs, in their local press actually name people they are chasing. All these players have agents at the end of the day, and it is the jobs of the agents to alert other Clubs, not the local press (or manager speaking to their local rags).

Nothing to do with alerting other clubs.

I certainly didn't start this discussion as a moan, just intruiged as to why PB has adopted (is it new?) this policy of naming targets. I, like the next supporter, am desperate to hear that we are actually searching for players but I'm not convinced that naming them is a good idea.......and this has absolutely nothing to do with alerting other clubs and managers. I have to say that I love the summer time 'player' chase, when CP drops a few (obscure) clues for us to search after! The force of continually naming players that never eventually join doesn't do wonders for my morale and could it actually end up with us looking a little silly?
On another tack could the naming of targets be anything to do with money games between PB and RM and as some have suggested, PB getting on the right side of the fans. If we don't get the necessary targets and success doesn't follow, there's the trail of information that I (PB), did my best but wasn't supported???

I think Yogi has a good point. Phil Brown probably wants to avoid a situation that he faced last summer when, apart from signing White and Atkinson, his hands were tied by the Chairman for much of the summer until just before the beginning of the season when he was finally able to recruit Reid and Clifford. The manager probably wants to make the bulk of his signings before pre-season training starts this year and is naming targets to convey that point to all concerned.

A little gentle pressure being applied on Mr Chairman I feel.

Let's hope some of these named targets start coming through the door...

Nothing to do with alerting other clubs.

Not saying you have said that Yogi, just that others have insinuated this issue on other threads.

Agents also talk to newspapers as well as Clubs and pressure is applied for players names to be in the open. I personally think that all Brown is doing is being 100% open with the fans, something that our esteemed owner doesnt appear to do. Brown nows how to use the media to apply his own pressure, as someone else stated, he probably uses this to exert pressure on RM as well.

A little gentle pressure being applied on Mr Chairman I feel.

Let's hope some of these named targets start coming through the door...

Perhaps we are under an Embargo and as you say he is putting some pressure on!

Back