• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jake Hyde Joins on Season Long Loan

When will Jake be fit again?

• Total voters
Would you have been saying that had he scored 2 in the time he was on the pitch, and was subbed off later on?

The whole “injury prone” thing is a bit of a myth. Yes, he has had injuries in his career, but his one last season was his first “bad” one. He hasn’t been constantly injured as some have suggested.

Time will tell whether it’s a good signing or not, but that’s the same with anyone we’ve brought in. Every player we bring in is a “risk” of some description.
Depends what you call constant..?

agreed it may not be all down to significant injuries

However what would be your take on an average of just 24 games per season over 12 years?

However what would be your take on an average of just 24 games per season over 12 years?

But surely last seasons extended spell on the sidelines distorts that figure somewhat doesn’t it?

Also, how many of those “missed matches” are due to injury as opposed to suspension, being out of favour, rested for future matches?

I’m not saying he has been available for every single fixture, and he has never been injured, but you can spin those numbers however you want.

But surely last seasons extended spell on the sidelines distorts that figure somewhat doesn’t it?

Also, how many of those “missed matches” are due to injury as opposed to suspension, being out of favour, rested for future matches?

I’m not saying he has been available for every single fixture, and he has never been injured, but you can spin those numbers however you want.
I took 12 seasons to deliberately try to not spin the figures

Whichever way you look at it its not the best record

Interesting though and of course there are outliers

Like Forest Green who boast about lifestyle and diet etc and managed to have 12 players last year manage to play between 29 and 46 games !!

7 seems to be the average for players playing between 29 and 46 games per season

I love your posts by the way and look out for them but just wondered whether you have had a rare rosy tint moment

I took 12 seasons to deliberately try to not spin the figures

Whichever way you look at it its not the best record

Interesting though and of course there are outliers

Like Forest Green who boast about lifestyle and diet etc and managed to have 12 players last year manage to play between 29 and 46 games !!

7 seems to be the average for players playing between 29 and 46 games per season

I love your posts by the way and look out for them but just wondered whether you have had a rare rosy tint moment

But is last season, Hyde’s worst in terms of appearances, been used in those 12, as that would distort figures massively.

If the games missed are all through injury, then we could have a discussion about it, however we don’t have those reasons he missed games to hand. As I say, did he miss a Tuesday night game to save himself for the Saturday? Was he dropped for 6/7 games as he hadn’t scored? Did he pick up a red card and miss the next three matches? Did he miss games as not to trigger an automatic extension to his deal? Or was he injured?,

I just find it bizarre that most of us last summer wanted him to sign, we desperately wanted him and Murphy as a front pairing. Two prolific, proven National League goal scorers. Yet, 12 months down the line everyone is writing him off, and a lot of nonsense has been spouted since the minute his hamstring got injured.

Does this thread need a poll?
There are, imo, more rational persons who are hoping Jake is fit again soon and is a welcome addition to the squad than the " send him back" posters, or the " only here freeloader " opinions.
I also think most believe him to be genuinely unlucky with the hamstring and sensible to get subbed straight away.

For various reasons to do with media work, Hyde often appeared on my horizon.
There were at least one manager from his recent past who suggested he was a player likely to pick up knocks.
For information, he has only lost five games through suspension dating back to 2014.
So, other games when missing was down to lack of form or injured.

Last edited:

Do those appearances include unused sub?

Just for the record by the way , I welcome Jake Hyde, I hope he has a great time here and does well for us,
I hope the hamstring pull is slight and he can quickly return to action and is not out for a couple of months

Could be a strong addition to our squad if seen as a squad player who averages half a season for whatever reason

As far as I can tell

Check out Wiki and Soccerbase and let me know what you think
I'm going to assume it doesn't - looked at Soccerbase. For Collin it shows as he has only made 1 appearance for Southend in his career.

Soccerbase also says Wreh was an unused sub on Sat - so not sure how accurate any of it is!!

But is last season, Hyde’s worst in terms of appearances, been used in those 12, as that would distort figures massively.

If the games missed are all through injury, then we could have a discussion about it, however we don’t have those reasons he missed games to hand. As I say, did he miss a Tuesday night game to save himself for the Saturday? Was he dropped for 6/7 games as he hadn’t scored? Did he pick up a red card and miss the next three matches? Did he miss games as not to trigger an automatic extension to his deal? Or was he injured?,

I just find it bizarre that most of us last summer wanted him to sign, we desperately wanted him and Murphy as a front pairing. Two prolific, proven National League goal scorers. Yet, 12 months down the line everyone is writing him off, and a lot of nonsense has been spouted since the minute his hamstring got injured.
If Wrexham were so desperate to have Dalby, we should have been in a strong bargaining position. We should have told them that the deal would happen once Murphy had regained his fitness. Then we would have had a few remaining games with Dalby up top with Powell or Wreh, and from sometime in September we would then have a fit again Murphy alongside a hopefully fitter Hyde.

it just seems to me that Wrexham said “jump” and we replied “how high?”

But then what do I know?

If Wrexham were so desperate to have Dalby, we should have been in a strong bargaining position. We should have told them that the deal would happen once Murphy had regained his fitness. Then we would have had a few remaining games with Dalby up top with Powell or Wreh, and from sometime in September we would then have a fit again Murphy alongside a hopefully fitter Hyde.

But then what do I know?
I do agree with what you’ve said. But we may well have said that. It’s possible we told Wrexham we didn’t want to let Dalby go without signing a replacement or getting injured players back and they offered us Hyde, who we already wanted.

If the chairman had already made up his mind that we needed to sell Dalby for the cash, then that puts Wrexham in the driving seat. As if we played hardball and didn’t march to the beat of their drum, they might have threatened to pull out. Not that I’m suggesting we let them walk over us, but I don’t think we were necessarily in a position of power.

For what it’s worth, I think we accepted Dalby’s head would’ve been turned and that he had a year left on his deal, wanted/needed the money and had an opportunity to sign someone we already wanted, with Wrexham needing to make it doable financially when otherwise they probably wouldn’t have done. It seemed like a win win.

Obviously the way it’s turned out wasn’t ideal. But if Hyde played 60mins on Saturday and was excellent, we’d all be saying what a cracking bit of business it was. Excited to see Wreh hopefully grab this opportunity with both hands and once the injured lads are back, I don’t think we’ll lack firepower.

But then what do I know?
But what if Dalby got injured playing for us before the transfer? Also would Dalby really put any effort in knowing he was leaving soon?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but getting money for Dalby as well as a season long loan for a proven goal scorer who would then join us as a free agent at the end of the season sounded like a good deal.

The cash could be used to sweeten the deal for our number 1 target if RM allowed it to be reinvested in the squad.

But then we get a pesky hamstring injury which messes up our plans 😢

But what if Dalby got injured playing for us before the transfer? Also would Dalby really put any effort in knowing he was leaving soon?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but getting money for Dalby as well as a season long loan for a proven goal scorer who would then join us as a free agent at the end of the season sounded like a good deal.

The cash could be used to sweeten the deal for our number 1 target if RM allowed it to be reinvested in the squad.

But then we get a pesky hamstring injury which messes up our plans 😢
Unless the cash for Dalby goes into the RM black hole never to be seen again, which is what i think will probably happen

I don’t really understand the hate towards Hyde. We were the ones that chose/accepted him on the swap deals. He didn’t get injured on purpose either… entirely the club’s “fault” if anyones, but the nasty comments directed at him aren’t really warranted IMO.
The only thing that annoyed me was the fact he just walked off

Back