• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jake Hyde Joins on Season Long Loan

When will Jake be fit again?

• Total voters
Maybe the club are assessing wherever or not to terminate the loan based on the outcome.

It's not worth the wages if he is going to be injured for 3 months.
I would guess we can’t. Just as they can’t recall. It’s clearly a financial deal rather than the prem u21 loan that we tend to see more often

Just reading all the jake hyde post on here and thinking about all the Wrexham comments about his fitness plus all the Phil brown post in the past , but Southend still go and bring in a 32 year old player with injury problems and he last 10 minutes, surly someone at the club must have learnt a lesson over the years is doesn’t work for us but we still keep making the same mistakes and still keep bringing these old injured players in I thought this was a thing of the past with Phil brown going but obviously not .

Just reading all the jake hyde post on here and thinking about all the Wrexham comments about his fitness plus all the Phil brown post in the past , but Southend still go and bring in a 32 year old player with injury problems and he last 10 minutes, surly someone at the club must have learnt a lesson over the years is doesn’t work for us but we still keep making the same mistakes and still keep bringing these old injured players in I thought this was a thing of the past with Phil brown going but obviously not .
Don't know where to start with this one, but here goes:

- Yes, he was sidelined last year through injury, but had returned for pre-season with Wrexham and, as far as I'm aware, was an active participant.
- According to ITK posters, he was on the management team's target list regardless of the eventual deal structured to send Dalby in the other direction. Whilst I would've preferred to keep Dalby, the fact the player wanted the move and is in his last contractual year, plus the money on offer made it enough of a sweetener.
- Hyde's past injuries, as far as I'm aware, have not been in the top tier of severity (cruciate ligaments, etc.), therefore should be manageable. I do take issue with the lack of professional medical and conditioning staff we have at the club however.
- Surely you agree that all of the other signings made in pre-season have either been young players, scouted/signed because they're deemed to have high upside potential or proven players with experience at this level?
- Guarantee if we'd got a point or scraped a victory, half of these types of comment wouldn't have been posted in the first place.

I agree it’s totally frustrating.

- Yes, he was sidelined last year through injury, but had returned for pre-season with Wrexham and, as far as I'm aware, was an active participant.
- According to ITK posters, he was on the management team's target list regardless of the eventual deal structured to send Dalby in the other direction. Whilst I would've preferred to keep Dalby, the fact the player wanted the move and is in his last contractual year, plus the money on offer made it enough of a sweetener.
- Hyde's past injuries, as far as I'm aware, have not been in the top tier of severity (cruciate ligaments, etc.), therefore should be manageable. I do take issue with the lack of professional medical and conditioning staff we have at the club however.
- Surely you agree that all of the other signings made in pre-season have either been young players, scouted/signed because they're deemed to have high upside potential or proven players with experience at this level?
- Guarantee if we'd got a point or scraped a victory, half of these types of comment wouldn't have been posted in the first place.
I think your last point is true. It's the fact we went a goal down and failed to get a goal back.

The player we brought in to score the goals went off injured. Therefore, people are looking around and are understandably pessimistic about where the goals are going to come from. It's pure frustration. That area will be addressed, I have no doubt about that.

I do think this thread needs to cool down a bit now though. What has happened has been done. No point dwelling and looking back. We need to look forward. The fact is, he is here for the season. Even if he is out for a month, he has a huge part to play in the rest of the season.

Let's face it, the majority thought we were on the way down last October, then we ended up flirting with a playoff push. That really wasn't on the cards! Nothing is decided in August or September. We will be a lot better over a consistent period this season, I have no doubt. This injury is one of the little bumps that any non-league club will suffer in a season, we are just unlucky it's all come at once. It will get better though and Hyde will play a part in that.

Is not the point that signing one player aged over thirty with a patchy injury record might be regarded as an acceptable risk but signing five or six in that category is inviting trouble.
I do see a clear difference.

Still no news of the injury I see
I wouldn’t expect anything until Monday.

It’s seen as a competitive advantage to keep your opponents guessing.

It’s noticeable how much the leaks have dried up in recent weeks. A month or two someone sneezed and it was all over the board (there may have been a better metaphor for that) but now it’s crickets.

I wouldn’t be surprised by a loan signing being sprung out of the blue Saturday.

I would also add to your comments the fact that he actually wanted to come here….Not something ultimately achievable if the opposite were to be the case.

I like to hope that he was sensible to come off early enough to avoid a longer term injury and will be back in training soon. Time will tell.

Heres hoping for the mild version !!

NHS Guidance..
Can you tear your hamstring again?

Recurring injury is common in athletes and sportsmen, as you're more likely to injure your hamstring if you've injured it before.

Do torn hamstrings ever fully heal?

Mild to moderate (grade 1 or 2) tears or strains can heal within three to eight weeks with diligent home therapy. For a grade 3 hamstring tear or strain, recovery may be as long as three months. Returning to sports before the injury is fully healed can cause more severe injuries.
  • grade 1 – a mild muscle pull or strain
  • grade 2 – a partial muscle tear
  • grade 3 – a complete muscle tear
A minor muscle pull or strain (grade 1) may take a few days to heal, whereas it could take weeks or months to recover from a muscle tear (grade 2 or 3).

Initial treatment​

During the first 2 or 3 days, you should care for your injury using RICE therapy:

• Rest – rest your leg as much as possible.
  • Ice – apply cold packs (a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel will also work) to your hamstring for up to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours during the day. Do not apply ice directly to your skin.
  • Compression – compress or bandage the thigh to limit any swelling and movement that could cause further damage. You can use a simple elastic bandage or elasticated tubular bandage available from a pharmacy.
  • Elevation – keep your leg raised and supported on a pillow as much as possible, to help reduce any swelling.
I've picked up mild/moderate strain in my calves this week and even the lower grade muscular injuries are not good and they can become recurring problems if put under too much load before a full recovery is made.

Even if he's got a lower level injury Hyde will be really touch and go for a month or two I think, I hope I'm wrong.

I'm facing 3 weeks minimum of no sports/gym work and extensive (and expensive) sports physio rehab. I didn't even bother getting NHS treatment considering the wait times, I've paid for private and I assume the players are doing the same since we have no proper in-house structure and they cannot really afford to sit around untreated and unassessed.

Last edited:
Some what surprised that it's taken so long to get the scan result.Wonder why?

Because, as with any injury, you wait for the swelling to go down around the injured area. Once that has settled, you then get the best/clearest view as to what the problem is, and therefore, how to move forward with it.

Back