• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who impressed more last season?

• Jakub Sokolik

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • John Egan

Votes: 50 54.9%

• Total voters

ryansm05

Coach
Quite simply, who did you prefer last season?

After managing to bring young Jakub back to the club, I'm curious as to whether fans preferred John Egan who has gone on to cement his place in Gillingham's back line?! I only saw them a handful of times and was impressed immensely with both; yet, I personally felt Egan was a little more disciplined.

Tough one, I was big fans of them both.

Egan was probably the more polished defender but Sokolik was the better all round footballer in my opinion.

I always thought that Egan was just the better of the two but delighted to have Sokolik back though.

Sokolic,but only just.....Kiernan was even better...all three so much better than Prosser,White,Ibenfeldt,Thomson and Bolger though I think the latter 2 have the potential to improve.

I recently compared Egan to Norman Hunter, a no nonsense style defender who just did what he had to do to clear his lines, Sokolik though is more like a Bobby Moore, a cultured defender who seems to have time a plenty. In tandem they were the ideal pairing, as for who I prefer, I went for Sokolic.....just.

Sokolik was the no nonsense one of the pairing. Egan the more cultured on the ball.

Sokolic,but only just.....Kiernan was even better...all three so much better than Prosser,White,Ibenfeldt,Thomson and Bolger though I think the latter 2 have the potential to improve.

I still don't think Kiernan is a centre-back. He got caught out of position far too easily there. He seems to have played mainly in midfield for Wigan this season (either that or they've been playing a back 5).

Reminds me how Mulgrew was played at left-back. He looked a good player without looking like a left-back. Now there was a class player. I remember just purring about his first few touches in a Southend shirt. We haven't had someone of that quality for a long time.

I still don't think Kiernan is a centre-back. He got caught out of position far too easily there. He seems to have played mainly in midfield for Wigan this season (either that or they've been playing a back 5).

Reminds me how Mulgrew was played at left-back. He looked a good player without looking like a left-back. Now there was a class player. I remember just purring about his first few touches in a Southend shirt. We haven't had someone of that quality for a long time.
Zaaboub maybe?!

Egan but that's no slight on Sokolik, a great defensive pairing and it's good to see Sokolik back

Sokolik the the brick wall bruiser and Egan the class touch, just complemented each other so well. Both could play on the deck and wanted to do something productive with the ball rather than hit row z every time! Brilliant partnership and both better when playing alongside each other, their careers this season show that.

Liken the partnership to Clarke and Dervite.

Like then, its hard to choose but then i would give it to Dervite, likewise now i would give it to Egan... Just!

Dervite was the classiest CB I've ever seen in my 27 years of supporting Blues.

Both Sokolik and Egan proved last season that they should be playing higher than L2, therefore I'm surprised and delighted to see Sokolik return to Roots Hall.

Wigan usually play 3 centre backs.

They were both too good for League 2 last year, but Egan I thought was wayyy too good for League 2. No slight on Sokolik at all, but Egan looked a top top defender.

We were truly spoilt last year,

Back