• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

James Blunt and the Jealous Shadow Minister

Benfleet A1

Hector Of The House
Anyone else see this? Chris Bryant,the shadow Culture Minister took a direct swipe at James Blunt by name dropping him while bitching about too many people from boarding school backgrounds being in music, films and TV, etc. Blunt rightly took offence and below is his reply

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/19/james-blunts-letter-chris-bryant-in-full

Unsurprisingly for a Labour minister, he glossed over the fact that he attended a fee paying school [the poorer end of posh whatever that means] but I started to think about this, does attending boarding school really give you that leg up that Bryant was trying to point score off?

I hate to see privately educated types juiced into the top jobs but haven't got a problem with James Blunt who essentially got lucky with one massive record.

A child can't help where they went to school but so many public school alumni occupy the prime positions in entertainment and the media it is quite sickening.

The following are some of the people I particularly dislike:

Mel and Sue
Bennedict Cumberbatch
David Mitchell
Victoria and Giles Coren
Most Guardian columnists
Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall

I hate to see privately educated types juiced into the top jobs but haven't got a problem with James Blunt who essentially got lucky with one massive record.

A child can't help where they went to school but so many public school alumni occupy the prime positions in entertainment and the media it is quite sickening.

The following are some of the people I particularly dislike:

Mel and Sue
Bennedict Cumberbatch
David Mitchell
Victoria and Giles Coren
Most Guardian columnists
Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall

I make you right on 3 of those 5 and would like to add Geri Halliwell to said list.

I once saw Mel and Sue host a comedy event in about 1996 and they managed to do about 30 minutes comedy on and off between acts without making anyone laugh at all. By the end they were getting slow hand clapped back onto the stage but were still running on in that kind of "HIIIII we're MAD! Like Totally BONKERS" way. Never been able to watch them since.

Chris Bryant is an absolute plum. Quite embarrassing really.
I met a toff on holiday in Egypt. We were on the bus from Taba to the Pyramids going across the Sinai peninsula (God I'd not do that now). He was so so confident it was frightening. He started calling me by my first name straight away (I'd never met him before or since) and started talking bollocks from beginning to end with a lot of "facts" completely wrong. I kept stum as a good grammar school boy would as it was only polite. During his constant stream of "facts" he mentioned he went to a top public school the name of which I've forgotten.
That for me is the difference. They have supreme self confidence banged in to them from day one. That's one reason why they get so far IMHO.

David Mitchell and Victoria Coren-Mitchell need burning in oil

Victoria Coren-Mitchell is a guilty crush and I don't really understand why. She's strange looking and annoying as hell, but I reckon she's utter filth in bed.

victoria-coren-only-connect1.jpg

I blame the Americans expecting every Brit film actor to be Hugh Grant in Four Weddings.

Even Jason Statham went to a grammar school - you just don't get the opportunities at your local Comprehensive these days.

I blame the Americans expecting every Brit film actor to be Hugh Grant in Four Weddings.

Even Jason Statham went to a grammar school - you just don't get the opportunities at your local Comprehensive these days.

Michael Caine
Bob Hoskins
Daniel Craig
Ray Winstone
Mark Strong
Christopher Eccleston

None of the above went to boarding school and all came from pretty humble beginnings.

Victoria Coren-Mitchell is a guilty crush and I don't really understand why. She's strange looking and annoying as hell, but I reckon she's utter filth in bed.

victoria-coren-only-connect1.jpg

The big tits probably help.

In terms of the thread more generally, I'm with Blunt on this one.

Bryant has a point.There are to many posh Brits in the music business and as actors these days.

Anyway Blunt makes lousy "music."

Not sure why it matters. I couldn't care less where someone went to school if they are entertaining.

Agreed on the latter point though.

Michael Caine
Bob Hoskins
Daniel Craig
Ray Winstone
Mark Strong
Christopher Eccleston

None of the above went to boarding school and all came from pretty humble beginnings.

It's the new crop of British talent, not necessarily the "old" guard of working class heroes that made it in the 60s/70s/80s.

Daniel Craig did attend a grammar school at 16 however.

Back