• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question James Dunne at CB?

I was just looked through the Shrimper Zone player ratings to see what sort of numbers have been thrown around, and besides Kacper Lopata our best CB's are Nathan Ralph [not a CB] and James Dunne [not a CB] albeit Dunne rating was based on 1 game scoring a 6.00 vs 16 games scoring a 4.81 from CM mind.

A lot of players moving down the pitch as they get older. Dion Dublin, Ashley Young, James Milner, Javier Mascherano...

I haven't seen him play in person and any opinion I have will only be made from the comments I've read and the ratings his been given. So I'll pass it over to you guys. Dunne signed a two-year contract at the start of the season and I doubt he'll be going anywhere. Could we make a decent CB of him?

I was just looked through the Shrimper Zone player ratings to see what sort of numbers have been thrown around, and besides Kacper Lopata our best CB's are Nathan Ralph [not a CB] and James Dunne [not a CB] albeit Dunne rating was based on 1 game scoring a 6.00 vs 16 games scoring a 4.81 from CM mind.

A lot of players moving down the pitch as they get older. Dion Dublin, Ashley Young, James Milner, Javier Mascherano...

I haven't seen him play in person and any opinion I have will only be made from the comments I've read and the ratings his been given. So I'll pass it over to you guys. Dunne signed a two-year contract at the start of the season and I doubt he'll be going anywhere. Could we make a decent CB of him?

His one game was against a team 3(?) divisions lower than us plus our main issue at the back is a lack of pace when we have White, Hobson, Coulson back there. He doesn’t help in that regard.

His one game was against a team 3(?) divisions lower than us plus our main issue at the back is a lack of pace when we have White, Hobson, Coulson back there. He doesn’t help in that regard.
Was that the game? I couldn't remember which to be fair, I was just looking at the numbers.

Was that the game? I couldn't remember which to be fair, I was just looking at the numbers.
Pretty sure it was that one. We didn’t have any defenders fit for it and he nearly played in one of their guys for 2-0 before we turned it around.

Dunne played CB vs Chertsey and IMHO was absolutely dreadful.
... He made Steve Hatter look like Bobby Moore.

Fulham fans used to say that playing alongside Bobby Moore got John Lacy his big money move to Spurs in the late 70's.It would have taken a miracle to make Steve Hatter look that good-even in his Fulham days. :Winking:

Without Lopata, you could possibly make a case for 3 centre backs, with JW sitting as a deep lying sweeper behind Dunne and Coulson. Saw Southgate do this for Villa behind a very slow Mountfield and McGrath (who was on his last legs) and it worked a treat.

Without Lopata, you could possibly make a case for 3 centre backs, with JW sitting as a deep lying sweeper behind Dunne and Coulson. Saw Southgate do this for Villa behind a very slow Mountfield and McGrath (who was on his last legs) and it worked a treat.
That's a very slow back line, if we take that approach I'd have Hobson as the sweeper.

He seems our best ball playing cb, (it's not a high bar), he seems clumsy but at times he's shown a decent amount of ability this season

Back