• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

James Lawson

Ron Manager

I thought he did really well today. Many were surprised to see him in the starting line-up yesterday but he proved his worth in the team with a well taken finish. He then did a sterling job in tandem with The Goat as part of our dominance of the first half and also filled in admirably on the left wing after Mitchell Cole's injury.

He showed again he has a nice touch on the ball, gets into good positions, can finish well and works very hard. Sure he needs to bulk out a bit and work on his upper body strength but that will come - and when it does I feel we could have some player on our hands.

Finally, full marks to Steve Tilson. There we all were urging him to sign a fourth striker but he resisted commiting us to that expense because I believe he had faith in Lawson's ability. Surely no-one can deny that we now have the full compliment of four forwards that give us enough options and back-up to compete in this division?

What impressed me most about Lawson is his movement off the ball. He is always on the move and dragging defenders out wide.

Really impressive for one so young!

Sure he needs to bulk out a bit and work on his upper body strength but that will come - and when it does I feel we could have some player on our hands.

Thats the key point, many times he was muscled off the ball, by the strong defenders, when the ball was at his feet. Also needs to learn to run with the ball as it goes past him, too many times he traps the ball and turns, rather than go with the ball, giving a defender time to get to him.

But I agree young and a good prospect for the future
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Sep. 18 2005,06:02)]Finally, full marks to Steve Tilson. There we all were urging him to sign a fourth striker but he resisted commiting us to that expense because I believe he had faith in Lawson's ability. Surely no-one can deny that we now have the full compliment of four forwards that give us enough options and back-up to compete in this division?
Whilst I would love to agree with you I feel that a large slice of luck has come our way.
Lawson has surprised everyone. I can't believe Tilly could of believed he would settle in this quickly or play to this standard.
The Goat we all knew could be a threat if he wanted it enough, but I am sure he was going to be a 30 min man, a sort of super sub as players legs are tiring. Even the God like Tilson surely could not of dreamed the season would begin this well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Sep. 18 2005,08:02)]Surely no-one can deny that we now have the full compliment of four forwards that give us enough options and back-up to compete in this division?
We have 4 forwards, but two of them (Lawson and Gray) can also do a job out wide... and in JCR, we also have a winger that can play on both wings who can also play up front.

That's excellent cover.

He has done very well. Very suprised he started yesterday, although i did have a sneaky suspicion he would. What an amazing bench yesterday tho!!
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Sep. 18 2005,11:23)]Very suprised he started yesterday, although i did have a sneaky suspicion he would.
How on earth can you have a sneaky suspicion something will happen, and then be very surprised when it does?

biggrin.gif

Whoops
smile.gif

Well i thought last week after the game at Swindon that Lawson would defo start yesterday, then i thought it would be Gray. Pah, forget it
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Sep. 18 2005,11:28)]Whoops
smile.gif

Well i thought last week after the game at Swindon that Lawson would defo start yesterday, then i thought it would be Gray. Pah, forget it
wink.gif
Forget what?

wink.gif

Not too surprised when I heard he was started as Tilly has a good habit of making recovering / returning players earn their place rather than putting them straight back in.

His form is encouraging, and it's nice to see him scoring as well. Keep it up James!

Lawson was always going to straight for me. Why change a winning team? He now has 2 goals in 3 games in his first professional season. He came into a team that was playing well, and was replacing a suspended Freddy Eastwood who is a firm favourite amongst the fans, and an injured Wayne Gray who had hit this level running and was in, arguably, his best form at SUFC. No easy task, but he has taken to it extremely well and will start up at Rotherham.

Could be a big player in Southend United's future.

Tilly stated on BBC Essex after the game that there was no reason to change a winning team so left Lawson in the starting line-up.
Must be a massive boost to the boys confidence that Tilly is prepared to give him a run in the side.

Lawson is improving with every game he plays, and is on his way to becoming well established. If he continues to improve at this rate I reckon he could go on to be one of our most successful players!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Sep. 18 2005,10:07)]Whilst I would love to agree with you I feel that a large slice of luck has come our way.
Lawson has surprised everyone. I can't believe Tilly could of believed he would settle in this quickly or play to this standard.
I disagree actually. Tilly sees Lawson at training every day so I'm sure he knows what he's capable of and wouldn't have risked him if he had doubts about him adapting to league football. That said, I'd be lying if I wasn't shocked by his debut performance against Oldham - for a kid making his first professional start, and technically out of position, he was phenomenal.

The key now is nurturing Lawson in the right way and not putting too much pressure on him (both management and fans). He could well be an asset to our squad for years to come.

Hope so. He seems to be having a good time of it at the moment. Same squad for Rotherham perhaps, with maybe one of the strikers making way for Bart on the bench...?!?!
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Sep. 18 2005,23:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Sep. 18 2005,10:07)]Whilst I would love to agree with you I feel that a large slice of luck has come our way.
I disagree actually. Tilly sees Lawson at training every day so I'm sure he knows what he's capable of and wouldn't have risked him if he had doubts about him adapting to league football. That said, I'd be lying if I wasn't shocked by his debut performance against Oldham - for a kid making his first professional start, and technically out of position, he was phenomenal.

The key now is nurturing Lawson in the right way and not putting too much pressure on him (both management and fans). He could well be an asset to our squad for years to come.
Yes your right Tilly must of had faith in him but what I was saying was I don't believe Tilson avoided bringing another striker to the club because he thought Lawson was cover enough.
With Freddy out for 4 games, Gray injured and the Goat not fully match fit surely you must of been a little worried. Now it's our prefered line up.

I have been very encouraged by the progress that Lawson is making, and he must be the first home grown forward of potential that we have produced in years.

It is possibly more luck than good management though. As i am sure if Gary or Eastwood had not been injured/banned then his chance may not have come so soon. Good luck to him.

Back