• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jamie Vardy

MK Shrimper

Striker
Retires from international football. At 32, no surprise with so many younger players ahead of him in the team.

Right decision by him I think, never really got much time at the World Cup and when he did he never really made a difference, think his best days are behind him now, maybe got another 2 years left in him at premiership level then time to move on.

Right decision by him I think, never really got much time at the World Cup and when he did he never really made a difference, think his best days are behind him now, maybe got another 2 years left in him at premiership level then time to sign for Phil Brown.

Corrected that small typo there.

Thought he might have stuck it out for one more tournament, strikers are the area I think we lack serious depth in. Kane is obviously first choice but we lack many options to replace him with should he get injured. Rashford, Abraham and Solanke hopefully will push on and become regulars but they'll all only be 22 when the Euros come around so might not be ready to step up and I'm not sure Sturridge and Welbeck are better options than Vardy even at 33.

Makes sense, he's only going to be a squad player so he may as well rest up during international breaks and be at his best for his club. 32 may not be really old but an explosive player like Vardy is more likely to pick up injuries as he gets older. He's left the door open if he is really needed in an injury crisis, done everything right IMO

And Gary Cahill follows suit and also announces his retirement from international football.

And Gary Cahill follows suit and also announces his retirement from international football.

It's almost as if Gareth Southgate has been calling up the players he's going to leave out of his next squad to give them a heads up.

It's almost as if Gareth Southgate has been calling up the players he's going to leave out of his next squad to give them a heads up.
Indeed. I also seem to be feeling a little less generous about all this. There seems to be something of a new concept these days where players 'retire' from international football just as it's becoming clear they're unlikely to be selected much in the future.

"The Leicester striker, who will be 32 in January, says a number of factors have influenced his decision [blah], including his age [blah] and a desire to spend more time with his family [blah]. He also accepts he is unlikely to feature much for England even if he remains part of the squad. [Aha, there it is!]"

“I’m not getting any younger and you can see, to be fair to the gaffer, he wants to make it more youthful, which obviously had its benefits during the World Cup."

In other words, you're about to be dropped.

On that basis, I also withdraw my own availability to play for the national team.

No doubt very close to the truth, I was listening to TalkSport earlier, and they had an interview with David Seaman, Long story short... In his words.. he admits that he let in a sloppy goal from a corner against Macedonia.... but anyway he got told in a phone call (not in person) and was told by Sven Goren Erikkson that he wouldn't feature for the national side again, but he could choose his own time to tell the press when he wanted to go public to announce his retirement from international football.

No surprise in hindsight that Vardy & Cahill did it now, before the next internationals begin in less than a fortnight.

Indeed. I also seem to be feeling a little less generous about all this. There seems to be something of a new concept these days where players 'retire' from international football just as it's becoming clear they're unlikely to be selected much in the future.

"The Leicester striker, who will be 32 in January, says a number of factors have influenced his decision [blah], including his age [blah] and a desire to spend more time with his family [blah]. He also accepts he is unlikely to feature much for England even if he remains part of the squad. [Aha, there it is!]"

“I’m not getting any younger and you can see, to be fair to the gaffer, he wants to make it more youthful, which obviously had its benefits during the World Cup."

In other words, you're about to be dropped.

On that basis, I also withdraw my own availability to play for the national team.
James Milner is the exception to this, Southgate spent a long time trying to convince him to come out of retirement for the world cup but Milner refused.

It’s probably quite grim being an England reserve during qualifiers, having to face up to not being the player you once were at the same time as loads of trips to places like Moldova to sit on the bench, all whilst stuck in this intense media bubble and away from the family.

Back