• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WickfordBlue

Schoolboy
In this transfer window who/what position do you think we need to get a player. I think that if Grant goes we will definately need to get a new Centre Midfield. But we should get one just to be safe. Also we need to get a 20 GPS Striker in for the money we get from the Grant sale (if we get any money). Even if RM wants to save a bit of money for the stadium, he shoul cough up a bit of cash because theres no point in having a big stadium if you are in league 2.

Thoughts?

The 20+ goal striker is called Barry Corr. We won't be getting another one, so you can take that off your shopping list.

I think Corr's 10 goals this season put him on target for at least 15, which negates the necessity for one of these mystical "20 GPS" strikers which are enough outside of League Two with clubs without chronic financial constraints. Our scoring problem isn't a lack of goals from the frontmen, it's a lack of goals from other positions, such as on the wing. That's not to say we don't need another forward, as if either Pato or Spencer depart then we do. The fact that both German and Jarvis were brought in on loan suggests that Sturrock may be looking for someone with a degree of pace, and that's ideally what I'd be after too. Wayne Gray circa 2005 would be ideal, as he valiantly worked the channels so Eastwood didn't have to, an attribute which would take some of the heat off Corr and his back.

I actually thinks the wings are our biggest problem. Soares is yet to prove himself and Hall's rampant inconsistency is becoming an issue. I'd say a right winger is an absolute necessity (maybe less so if Sturrock sees Comminges as a possible option out there) while somebody who's equally adept on either flank would give us some natural width. I see it's been rumoured that Lionel Ainsworth has had a falling out with Turner at Shrewsbury, and he'd be a good option for us. Another body in central midfield is also required, and I'd prefer somebody with a bit of spark going forward, a la Tommy Doherty. I know he's much maligned, but Guttridge would be the perfect partner for Easton in this team.

I hadn't realised Steve MacLean is on loan at Oxford from Argyle... He'll be pretty much available for for whatever we can pay in this window due to Plymouth having to sell and has done well for Sturrock before, scoring 33 in 84 appearances for Wednesday before moving to Cardiff. Good forward at this level I'd imagine.

I agree that Soares needs to go. And that Barry Corr COULD get 20 goals and also becaus Mclaren is out on loan it gives you an idea that he might not be wanted at Argyle. Plus 33 in 84 is a good record.

I think Corr's 10 goals this season put him on target for at least 15, which negates the necessity for one of these mystical "20 GPS" strikers which are enough outside of League Two with clubs without chronic financial constraints. Our scoring problem isn't a lack of goals from the frontmen, it's a lack of goals from other positions, such as on the wing. That's not to say we don't need another forward, as if either Pato or Spencer depart then we do. The fact that both German and Jarvis were brought in on loan suggests that Sturrock may be looking for someone with a degree of pace, and that's ideally what I'd be after too. Wayne Gray circa 2005 would be ideal, as he valiantly worked the channels so Eastwood didn't have to, an attribute which would take some of the heat off Corr and his back.

I actually thinks the wings are our biggest problem. Soares is yet to prove himself and Hall's rampant inconsistency is becoming an issue. I'd say a right winger is an absolute necessity (maybe less so if Sturrock sees Comminges as a possible option out there) while somebody who's equally adept on either flank would give us some natural width. I see it's been rumoured that Lionel Ainsworth has had a falling out with Turner at Shrewsbury, and he'd be a good option for us. Another body in central midfield is also required, and I'd prefer somebody with a bit of spark going forward, a la Tommy Doherty. I know he's much maligned, but Guttridge would be the perfect partner for Easton in this team.

The lack of goals from our reserve strikers is a huge problem. Corr and Sturrock are fine when fit (something like 11 goals in 27 starts between them), but they struggle to play lots of games in a short space of time and our reserves just aren't up to scratch.

If you consider the amount of league minutes combined that Paterson, Spencer, Fairhurst, Jarvis, German and Midson (have I missed anyone?) have had, we've had just two goals from Midson to show for it. It's not even as if they are doing great work and linking up play and creating chances for others like Corr and Sturrock do.

Agree that someone of Guttridge's style would be a good fit and out wide we're lacking.

The lack of goals from our reserve strikers is a huge problem. Corr and Sturrock are fine when fit (something like 11 goals in 27 starts between them), but they struggle to play lots of games in a short space of time and our reserves just aren't up to scratch.

If you consider the amount of league minutes combined that Paterson, Spencer, Fairhurst, Jarvis, German and Midson (have I missed anyone?) have had, we've had just two goals from Midson to show for it. It's not even as if they are doing great work and linking up play and creating chances for others like Corr and Sturrock do.

Agree that someone of Guttridge's style would be a good fit and out wide we're lacking.

Agreed, I should've been clearer as I was talking about our improving on our first XI. The loans we've taken just haven't been up to scratch and I'll be surprised if both Pato and Spencer are here in February. If they both depart (and I take it that both are on sizeable wages for this level), then we should be able to replace those two man-for-man and start again. I'd actually like to see MacLean here as his record under Sturrock is fairly decent, whereas someone like Marvin Morgan (another Crawley-bound footballer who has turned his back on the Football League for riches) would be the perfect compliment to that strike force.

You both make me laugh. If Spencer and Paterson and even Crawford had had the identical amount of pitch time as Blair has had do you really think none of them would have scored more than 3 or 4 goals? Sorry, but Corr has done the business, Blair hasn't, you cannot possibly blame the players who aren't getting on the pitch for lack of goals. - but for some reason you do?

Our lack of goals is because Blair doesn't score any, our wingers Hall and Soares contribute nothing and our midfield, Grant aside have given us zero, that with the fact that PS's poor striker acquisitions in the loan market - Jarvis, Fairhurst, German and Midson also contributed next to nothing.

So we need another striker, yes I do think another striker because Blair isn't one, at least two good midfielders and a proper winger. That coupled with another CB should keep us going to the end of the season.

Having said that, one of the midfielders could be Blair - I believe he could do a job there.

11 goals in 27 starts from our 2 main strikers is hardly impressive or anything to rave about, just because none of the others have scored many and do not forget 4 of those PS brought in himself hardly makes Corr and BS some striking threat. Corr is ok as a striker ..BS is pants.

11 goals in 27 starts from our 2 main strikers is hardly impressive or anything to rave about.

That's the equivalent over a full season of one striker scoring 20 league goals and the other striker scoring 17 league goals.

Off the top of my head, Angell and Benjamin scored 26 league goals (?) between them in 1990-91, in our greatest ever season and you're saying that 37 league goals between two forwards isn't impressive?

In fact, I'm not even sure two Southend players have combined for 37 league goals in a season in my lifetime.

That's the equivalent over a full season of one striker scoring 20 league goals and the other striker scoring 17 league goals.

Off the top of my head, Angell and Benjamin scored 26 league goals (?) between them in 1990-91, in our greatest ever season and you're saying that 37 league goals between two forwards isn't impressive?

In fact, I'm not even sure two Southend players have combined for 37 league goals in a season in my lifetime.

Think Benjamin scored 12 in 1990-1 and Angell scored 26. So 38 league goals in total. Will check SUFC Database in a minute.

Ok just checked it out & Benjamin scored 13 League goals so 39 between them in 1990/1.

Last edited:
Think Benjamin scored 12 in 1990-1 and Angell scored 26. So 38 league goals in total. Will check SUFC Database in a minute.

That's goal in all competitions. Brettie Angell got 2 in the FA Cup v Orient, 4 v Aldershot in the LDV etc.

I think he only got something like 15 league goals that season.

That's goal in all competitions. Brettie Angell got 2 in the FA Cup v Orient, 4 v Aldershot in the LDV etc.

I think he only got something like 15 league goals that season.

Bugger, think you are correct Angells total included the cup goals. Scrap all what I posted!!

I hadn't realised Steve MacLean is on loan at Oxford from Argyle... He'll be pretty much available for for whatever we can pay in this window due to Plymouth having to sell and has done well for Sturrock before, scoring 33 in 84 appearances for Wednesday before moving to Cardiff. Good forward at this level I'd imagine.

Thought the same about MacLean. Good striker, impressive scoring record and wouldn't have minded him at Southend, but changed my mind on him totally after his constant niggly fouls, moaning and just general petulant play against us on Saturday because he couldn't get the better of our defenders. Used to be a player, but injuries have probably taken their toll.

Corr has done the business but Blair is a disaster - he is not a striker. As has been mentioned before maybe put him in midfield or wide because he has got something, but it's not in front of goal!

Would really like to see Corr and Paterson together up front, have done all season, just don't think it's going to happen now, even though Paterson showed more in his 30 minutes on Monday than Blair has done in god knows how many games. Just don't know how Blair keeps getting starts?

For me if Pato/Spencer go then we need another striker. We need at least another two midfielders and another CB

Originally Posted by Cricko
11 goals in 27 starts from our 2 main strikers is hardly impressive or anything to rave about.

I don't understand your maths here....

The way I look at it is that after 21 games:
Corr has made 12 starts and 6 substitute appearances and scored 7 goals in the league.
Sturrock has made 15 starts and 3 substitute appearances and scored 4 goals in the league.

If we extrapolate this over a whole season Corr would end up with 15 goals and Sturrock would end with 9 - a total of 24 between them. I don't think this is too bad of a return, and with fewer injuries in the second half of the season I would expect their goal totals to be higher than that.

Everyone wants to see 2 strikers banging in the goals but you need one hard working player putting himself about upfront too...if they are also a goalscorer they wouldnt be in league 2

Blair's hardly a disaster... When he's been fit and firing he's been one of our most effective players. Even Paul Clark, who's been given God status on this board for his Blues insight lately, will testify as much.

If you're looking for disastrous forwards, then look no further than the likes of Drewe Broughton.

Not sure why Blair is taking the stick he is. He has done an ok job as a second forward.

I would rather we looked at the lack of creativity from the right wing spot as Soares is woeful, the lack of back up for Hall who is good but inconsistant, the fact that Prosser is kept out the side but a bloke that can hardly run or the fact that we only have two central midfielders bar the unseen Bouasis bloke and one of them and in fact the only scoring midfielder in the league is about to depart.

Back