• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

January Fixtures 2021

January looks to be a rather busy and important month for Southend United.

7 league fixtures are logged in the calendar and obviously no cup games to consider but weather and C***d could play their part.

2nd Jan - A - Newport

9th Jan - H - Barrow

16th Jan - A - Grimsby

19th Jan - H - Cambridge

23rd Jan - H - Mansfield

26th Jan - H - Bradford

30th Jan - A - Port Vale

For me, the games against Barrow, Grimsby, Mansfield & Bradford stand out as being very important and I can't help thinking that we need to add quite a few points from those games this month if we are to put our relegation fears behind us.

I think we will need about 13 points from that run of games....just win the home games and nick something on the road

7 league fixtures are logged in the calendar and obviously no cup games to consider but weather and C***d could play their part.

2nd Jan - A - Newport

9th Jan - H - Barrow

16th Jan - A - Grimsby

19th Jan - H - Cambridge

23rd Jan - H - Mansfield

26th Jan - H - Bradford

30th Jan - A - Port Vale

For me, the games against Barrow, Grimsby, Mansfield & Bradford stand out as being very important and I can't help thinking that we need to add quite a few points from those games this month if we are to put our relegation fears behind us.
January could decide are fate in some ways. Whether that's staying up or going down!

We have to target those four home games and get maximum points out of them. 3 of the 4 teams we play our bottom half of the table and Cambridge’s form has dropped off somewhat since the original fixture. Anything from the away games will be a bonus.

We’ll probably lose to Newport but the other 6 are very winnable games. Need to be aiming for at least 12-13 points from that lot to give us a chance of staying up.

Even if the Newport game goes ahead I would be inclined to accept defeat there in order to seek victory against Barrow, Grimsby, Mansfield and Bradford with fresher legs. Thus I would leave Hart, Akinola, Demetriou, Hobson and Olayinka out of the team completely on Saturday and focus on those four matches. I think Port vale could be beaten too.

Even if the Newport game goes ahead I would be inclined to accept defeat there in order to seek victory against Barrow, Grimsby, Mansfield and Bradford with fresher legs. Thus I would leave Hart, Akinola, Demetriou, Hobson and Olayinka out of the team completely on Saturday and focus on those four matches. I think Port vale could be beaten too.
I can’t agree that resting 5 of our best players would be a good idea.Its not even as if Newport are that special—they have 2 points from their last 4 games.

I think we will need about 13 points from that run of games....just win the home games and nick something on the road
Fully agree with this, although we picked up our first win on the road, we're clearly getting the rub of the green at Roots Hall. The fact that 3 games in a week come at home too, so less travel, is good fatigue wise.

We need 2 new striker and attacking midfielder who can play wide, one big central back to stand an chance.

2nd Jan - A - Newport
9th Jan - H - Barrow
16th Jan - A - Grimsby
19th Jan - H - Cambridge
23rd Jan - H - Mansfield
26th Jan - H - Bradford
30th Jan - A - Port Vale

General consensus was that we looked knackered last night, 3 days after our last game on Boxing Day. Bearing in mind this is traditionally a month for 'heavy' pitch's, we have 3 games per week during the last 2 weeks, albeit 3 are at home.
That will no doubt take it's toll on our current squad, & at this present time, we have no idea which current 'loanee's' will still be with us, & whether any fresh faces will be joining us?.
January is possibly the most important month, which will define our season?.

Reposting this, I put it in an earlier thread and might have messed up some sums because of Sunday morning brain.

AND cross-posting, which I wouldn't normally do, but I realised this was probably the better thread for this.

I have a love-hate relationship with Excel.

If we take everyone up to 23 games, at their PPG based on the performance over the season as a whole it looks like this:

1609694854235.png

In this case, we'd need to be get to 23 points to be safe from relegation on PPG.

That's 2.33 points per game. 2 wins and a draw out of three.

Alternatively, if we look at it based on performance over the last 5 games, it's like this:

1609694934788.png

I didn't bother recalculating projected goal difference based on just those 5 games as wasn't significant to us, the most important football team in the world.

Although our performance has been better over the last 5 games, at a tasty 2.00 PPG, the other teams down our end of the table have been in good form, too, so in this model, we need to get an extra point and get to 24.

That's 2.66 PPG. In reality, we'd need to win all 3 games.

Obviously, real life is much messier than any of this rubbish. But I think we'd need to win 2 of the next 3 games and hope one or two teams above us wobble.

• Barrow at home.
  • Grimsby away.
  • Cambridge at home.
I reckon we can win 2 of them.

EDIT: Just noticed the sorting for Scunthorpe and Stevenage's GD is off because Excel was sorting it as text. And I spelt Cambridge wrong too. 100% do not care enough about any of them to correct it. :D

interesting - but the table could look very very different by the end of January.
we (Barrow) have a very similar month to you. Our games are;-
Southend (A), Scunthorpe (H), Cheltenham (A) (we beat the 3-0 at home last month), Grimsby (H) and Bradford (A).

the way it's going Scunthorpe, Grimsby and Port Vale could be in or close to the bottom 2 by the end of January.

the way it's going Scunthorpe, Grimsby and Port Vale could be in or close to the bottom 2 by the end of January.
I'm hoping that 2 of them are in the bottom 2, if not all 3 of them if we can somehow manage that.

Memo to self - call a mathematician in the morning.

Back