• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

January PotM.....

Shrimp Shady

Members
Am I the only one who looked and heard in disbelief when Mark Gower was given the PotM award for January??? :confused:

I honestly can't think of him having any outstanding games in January (except Leeds where the whole team worked their socks off!). For me he has been well below par the last month or so and resting him for a few weeks might be a good thing.

I'm not saying that Gower is cr@p as on many occasions he has won vital games for us. Just think that now we have both Scanell and Kanu (out and out wide players) it's time to bring them in.....competition for places can only be a good thing!

Didn't understand it at all and couldn't believe what I was hearing. Yes, I know he's a popular enough guy around Roots Hall but his play on the field in recent games has been severely lacking. For me it should've been Tommy Black, worked his socks off in very difficult circumstances, or Peter Clarke even. Gower would have ranked probably about 10th on my list!

Mark Gower IMO is still our best player, he was indeed poo today but you know he is more than capable of winning the game for you, scannell not even fit to lace gowers boots up (yet)

Mark Gower IMO is still our best player, he was indeed poo today but you know he is more than capable of winning the game for you, scannell not even fit to lace gowers boots up (yet)

I think Black seems to showing some great form now and is far more capable and skillful than Gower..It is not a slight on Gower but Black's brain is ten times quicker.

Am I the only one who looked and heard in disbelief when Mark Gower was given the PotM award for January??? :confused:

I honestly can't think of him having any outstanding games in January (except Leeds where the whole team worked their socks off!). For me he has been well below par the last month or so and resting him for a few weeks might be a good thing.

I'm not saying that Gower is cr@p as on many occasions he has won vital games for us. Just think that now we have both Scanell and Kanu (out and out wide players) it's time to bring them in.....competition for places can only be a good thing!

Gower is a hero, read the other threads... Is it not clear? :eek:

I don't think you've read the whole of my post properly.........I'm not slagging off the guy just think he has been performing poorly of late!

.........and it appaers that a few others agree with my points!

black has certainly played well of late, gower is prone to a dip here and there keep the faith, G man will be back on form soon

I have no doubt about that it's just he's in a bit of a trough at the moment.

black has certainly played well of late, gower is prone to a dip here and there keep the faith, G man will be back on form soon

I hope so, but I genuinely believe that we've seen the last of Gower's great days for us.

As good as he's been, I think he'll soon find himself in the same position that (the now dethroned) King Kev is in.

Anyone sat near me will tell you what i thought of the decision and his performances of late but i aint going to talk to much about Mr Gower as i will only get even more annoyed with him.

I hope so, but I genuinely believe that we've seen the last of Gower's great days for us.

As good as he's been, I think he'll soon find himself in the same position that (the now dethroned) King Kev is in.

Interesting. I really feel that Tilly and Brush will be having a clear out in the summer - maybe the G-Man will be part of that...

Isnt it player of the month tho....and I think Black has been best overall for Jan. Was good today and has been on good form of late.

Seemed a strange decision. Although that doesnt knock how good a player gower can be and has been, just he hasnt recently so on that form perhaps was the wrong choice.

Mark Gower was a surprise to me also and today's performance further emphasised why it was a surprise. On today's performance he should hang his boots up and be polishing his car on future Saturday afternoons.

Maybe that is a bit OTT but he was poor today as was Simon Francis i'm afraid.

Maybe the people who vote for the award appreciate the fact that Gower is still our best source of goals and the best passer at the club.

Remember Saturday's performance was in February not January!

I don't think so at all. Gower still has the ability to destroy teams at this level. Lets not forget that in this apparently disappointing season from him he's well on course to get his most goals in a season for us and has chipped in with more than his fair share of assists too.

Mark Gower is our key player. More than anyone he sets the tone for our performance. His range of passing is unmatched at this level and he is always the first player everyone else on our team looks for when they have the ball. When he has a shocker (and he certainly had a shocker today) it's made all the worse because of just how important he is to our team.

He shouldn't have had player of the month for January, but we really were poor for most of that month. Lee Barnard probably had a decent shout for winning it which tells it's own tale considering he played less than 180 minutes.

Back