• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January Sales Thread

It's amazing how difficult it nearly always seems to be for us., and yet throughout the month half the league clubs have easily managed to bring in 6 each. Where was plan B or C

It's amazing how difficult it nearly always seems to be for us., and yet throughout the month half the league clubs have easily managed to bring in 6 each. Where was plan B or C
There never is a plan B of C do you not watch his tactics?!

Could Theo's loan deal include a recall clause so we could get him back if we need to?

There's some ridiculous stuff on here... clearly some of you have no idea how the January window works.

We can't just forever keep bringing players in. Some have got to go the other way to make room in both the squad and the budget.

We had no inquiries for any of our players until the final day. We'd already got Humphrys in and it was clear that, barring injuries, Cox and Humph will be the preferred strikers. So what striker - presumably only one not getting game time at his club already - is going to want to come to another club where is also probably isn't going to get game time? The summer window is much easier to recruit players in.

So on the last day we have a knock from Swindon about Theo. He is our 3rd choice striker (although Kelman came in ahead of him last week I seem to recall).

We have Kelman and Hutchinson in the first team squad and apparently, according to some, raw, diamond encrusted gems waiting to be unearthed in Wabo and Ba.

So the decision is "Do we bring someone in who is better than Robinson with about 5 hours left of the window?"

It's not about us leaving it until the last minute... Swindon left it to the last minute! If we refuse, nothing happens - the club gets crucified for doing nothing. If we accept, we have to find and replace - something which we appeared to manage to do but which the player refused for some reason - so the club gets crucified for "leaving it until the last minute."

Get used to this. The players that most of us believe are past their sell by dates are Kightly and McLaughlin who have had extremely disappointing seasons, Kiernan who just hasn't contributed at all and Turner. Turner will be gone at the end of the season, but the other three are under contract for another season and take up a huge portion of the wage budget.

Nothing is going to change any time soon.

Six clubs brought in 62 players. Can I say that again. 6 clubs brought in 62 players. 62, 62, 62, we had £75k to play with apparently. 6 clubs".........aaaaaaaaarrrrgvghhhh

Good job Cp is a little follickly challenged so not tons of hair to pull out, but at least tax man can rub his hands

Glad I went to bed early, no more than I expected.

We got the all important number 9 in and signed Kelman (so to speak) so we are still level on forwards. We added another defender, although looking at his defending v Luton I will have my eye on him tomorrow.

Theo going with no replacement.....Well most of you couldn't stand him, remember comments like "we would be better off with 10 men". Lets not forget he refused late on to sign for Col U a year ago, yet this time and knowing our deal had fell through, he still signed for Swindon. Obviously the booing had got to him...….The question is how much are we still paying whilst he is at Swindon?

As for the last minute no from a player.....That could be for various reasons but including geographical or other family reasons. Maybe his agent had a chat with other agents and he pulled the plug, which has been the main reason why managers have had difficulty signing players for our club.....Who knows? but it wont just be down to poor management from CP, some you need to look at the bigger picture.

Either way I did say back in December be prepared to be underwhelmed. You cant shift on injured players and you cant afford replacements for them if your are SUFC. As for the normal, "they have signed 10 players in a week nonsense"...….Its never yet been successful.

Crazy to let Theo go without a replacement. What if Cox or Humphrys get injured/suspended? Or one's knackered after 70 mins and needs to be subbed? It leaves a hell of a lot of responsibility on young Kelman's shoulders as he'll be our only other option. (Before anyone says Wabo/Ba, it's clear they're not rated by CP, rightly or wrongly).

some people.... spent all season moaning about Robinson not being good enough, shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, etc and as soon as he goes out on loan its 'clueless...bad decision...he can still do a job for us' etc.
Ridiculous

Okay so Theo's gone but for me it gives a positive in that we have a real chance to develop Kelman, Wabo and Ba. as others have said we're not going up this season and we would need nine of the twelve clubs below us to overtake us for southend to go down which whilst it isn't impossible it's very unlikely.

Yes we didn't bring anyone in to replace Theo but given that we chose to play no-one up front alongside Cox rather than him it's not a big loss is it?

Whatever way you look at it we have 1 striker IN: Humphrys and 1 'runner' OUT: Theo, not ideal to have so few options, but we have an upgrade all the same.

As before we are still one injury away from having very little options up top., but it's still better than we were a couple of weeks ago.

I'd like to have seem someone like Sully KaiKai on loan, but then again i'm dreaming...

Happens all the time, Ron knows that. It's terrible planning by the club. They've had all the window to sort the lack of striker options out.

Better pray Humphrys or Cox don't get injured now.

I'm not having anyone use injuries and bad luck as an excuse now. We've now created our own lack of options issue.

Just to note. I've hardly seen any comments on here blaming Powell. I'm sure he would of identified a long list of targets.
Depends what you mean when you say 'on here". Across various threads posters have complained regularly about Powell's recruitment, or lack of it.

Whatever way you look at it we have 1 striker IN: Humphrys and 1 'runner' OUT: Theo, not ideal to have so few options, but we have an upgrade all the same.

As before we are still one injury away from having very little options up top., but it's still better than we were a couple of weeks ago.

I'd like to have seem someone like Sully KaiKai on loan, but then again i'm dreaming...

Two out actually, McCoulsky went back as well.

Maybe it wasn't the club waiting until the last minute, maybe our targets were, you don't make your highest possible ebay bid until last, do you? Two further points - maybe, as said, we can recall Robinson and b) we can still sign an unattached player. Don't get your y-fronts in a tangle just yet.

Just as a reality check. What if CP had loaned out Humphrys for Theo coming in. Then sold Kelman to Forrest Green to bring in McCoulsky……..

.We may not have got what many wished for but I bet those 2 do a lot better than most of the 1062 or whatever it is, signed by other clubs in our position.

N.B,,,, That does not include the likes of Sunderland who had £36million advantage over us before they even sold a season ticket or one pie.

I don't get how many comments are made during the year on social media about Theo, then he goes and nobody likes that either.
We can still potentially still get a free agent, pull from our younger teams and get players back from injury.

Theo would and often has made a great sub against tired legs.... I would have kept him. You wouldnt build a team round him or rely on him goals but he could do a job. I'm not losing any sleep that he has gone as think this is great news for Kelman and the kids coming through. We just need a few more wins to be safe and then we can use the season to blood the kids and build plans for next season

Kind of pointless to pick up a premier league kid Loanee when we have two good ones ourselves.

Who never got to play when we were down to one striker and CP stuck a 5'10" striker up front on his own against 6'3" defenders.

If Cox or Humphrys get injured or suspended we are in deep ****.

Back