• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January Sales Thread

Interesting comments in the Express and Star.
Express and Star said:
Ferrier was the subject of a last-gasp bid from the Shrimpers on deadline day.
The bid was an initial £75,000 with adds on taking the deal above six figures.
And with the clock ticking towards the 11pm deadline, the striker was allowed to talk to the Essex-based club.

Express and Star said:
In an unprecedented move on Thursday, Southend issued a statement on their website revealing they saw a late move for an unnamed striker (Ferrier) collapse.
The Express & Star understands Saddlers bosses expressed their extreme disappointment at the Shrimpers' decision to put details of a private negotiation in the public domain.

Full Story
https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...s-morgan-ferrier-turns-down-move-to-southend/

Wrong thread I know but just seen that the game against Barnsley will be live on Sky sports in March. (Via sky sports news)

That journalist has a bee in his bonnet about Southend since the game last season went ahead. Only man on earth who thought we were out of order for getting a game on. Happy to ignore him.

The journalist offers no opinion on Southend. I quite agree with Walsall regarding the statement from our club. No wonder players don't want to join us. I wouldn't want to work for that ****

Glad Theo has gone to Swindon, didn't think if we paid a club they would take him from us. I did not realise Theo had so many supporters until I've been watching this thread. At least it may give some of our youngsters a better chance of 1st team footie. COYB !

Wow, so much tosh being spouted!

Losing Robinson is a bit of a surprise, I thought Kightly or McLaughlin were more likely to be out on loan. Still, considering we have swapped Theo for Humphrey, McCoulskey for Kelman and Sam Hart has come in I don't think this is all bad. In an ideal world we probably could have done with keeping Theo, but as we have some very promising youngsters, best get on with developing them!

As many have pointed out, we are competing in a very small pond against big fish like Sunderland. Were are only ever going to catch scraps, metaphorically. And when you consider, there was a winding up order in place for the first half of the transfer window, getting anyone to join us at all is a feat!

Well done CP.

All I see from Powell’s transfer policy is bringing in younnger players who will develop, yet are still ready for the league, while shipping out the old timers left by Phil. That’s not going to be a quick process. I’ll judge next season, for me this campaign was always one of transition. Unfortunately, I feel the league is very weak this year and it’s come at a bad time but we could have been in league 2. Lots of players will go in the summer for me. I think ditching Timmo was a big mistake for Powell as in a bits and pieces team, which we are now, he would have taken up the fight and kept the fans on side more than the current crop of CMs.

Stay up and look forward for me...

Glad Theo has gone to Swindon, didn't think if we paid a club they would take him from us. I did not realise Theo had so many supporters until I've been watching this thread. At least it may give some of our youngsters a better chance of 1st team footie. COYB !
Yes! Totally agree with your assessment of Robinson.Give Powell his due,he did his utmost to get rid last season,but,trouble is,I don’t think we can expect any prolonged impact from any of our younger strikers just yet.

"Unfortunately, I feel the league is very weak this year"

people are so weird .... its not like clubs with x 4 our attendance might have a bit more cash

League one much stronger when you look at the calibre of some of the clubs init,Sunderland ,Luton,portsmouth,Coventry to begin with all EX premier league clubs,then you have Barnsley,Wimbledon(ex premier too ) and im sure many others ive missed ,all bigger clubs than Southend ,and someone says the league is weak mmmmmmmmm

The journalist offers no opinion on Southend. I quite agree with Walsall regarding the statement from our club. No wonder players don't want to join us. I wouldn't want to work for that ****

I would hazard a guess that Ron was having a dig at the agent. We obviously meant business and had the cash available. They gave their permission and the player was happy to talk and must have been interested, so who knows why?

If you remember Ladapo was half way through a medical at Wimbledon on the 31st last year. I wonder how much extra we had to pay to get to cancel that and head for Southend.....I dare say Wimbledon were just as frustrated with that behaviour as Ron is right now.

Either way if we were offering Sunderland size wages the player would be at RH today....He is not because we can't and we have to shop accordingly and not be forced into paying over the top for average players.

As I said I reckon the guy who had "agreed" to sign probably see that we had been chasing 3 other strikers all from higher clubs but no luck with any of them and thought sod it I'm not going to be high up on Southend's starting list? :Unsure:

On that note what do you good people think of the transfer window in January?

I personally don't think it works for a club like ours. Its right that the PL and big boys in the championship need more control otherwise if their left back sneezed in late September they would rush out a buy cover just in case......We would be at their mercy all year.

Bringing the summer one forward to the beginning of August is a good idea but should the winter one be extended say from the 1st of November until 31st of Jan for lower leagues or players in on loan from the PL/Championship.

Like wise sending people back. It was obvious that McCoulsky should have gone earlier.

There could also be perhaps a limit on how many you sign over the window. So for example new manger arrives in ate October and wants big changes he signs his 5/6 in November but that's it for the season.?

One thing has been noticeable over the last few months at RH, is that fans, the players and would appear even management have all gone through the motions with the thought that January would be the answer to all our problems.

When the going gets tough, shirk out and wait for others doesn't sit to well with me.

Anyway how do you guys see it?

On that note what do you good people think of the transfer window in January?

I personally don't think it works for a club like ours. Its right that the PL and big boys in the championship need more control otherwise if their left back sneezed in late September they would rush out a buy cover just in case......We would be at their mercy all year.

Bringing the summer one forward to the beginning of August is a good idea but should the winter one be extended say from the 1st of November until 31st of Jan for lower leagues or players in on loan from the PL/Championship.

Like wise sending people back. It was obvious that McCoulsky should have gone earlier.

There could also be perhaps a limit on how many you sign over the window. So for example new manger arrives in ate October and wants big changes he signs his 5/6 in November but that's it for the season.?

One thing has been noticeable over the last few months at RH, is that fans, the players and would appear even management have all gone through the motions with the thought that January would be the answer to all our problems.

When the going gets tough, shirk out and wait for others doesn't sit to well with me.

Anyway how do you guys see it?

Window should be open all year so that small clubs can save money by carrying smaller squads and topping up whenever necessary and can sell players whenever necessary to ease financial difficulties.

Worked well for more than100 years.

Windows are just another example of benefitting the rich clubs.

Had a quick look on the Walsall forum and seems like we might have dodged a bit of a bullet with Ferrier. Apparently has a terrible attitude, constantly rubs people up the wrong way (including his own teammates) and shows flashes of brilliance once every so often but not nearly enough.

We’ve had a fair few players like that over the years and it never ends well. Adam Thompson said the squad morale was unbelievable, like a bunch of best mates playing together. Taylor Moore also spoke the other day about how happy he was here. Ferrier doesn’t really sound like someone we’d want in that respect.

As long as we can get over the line and steer clear of relegation for the rest of the season then the big job starts in the summer. Hopefully the likes of Kelman and Hutchinson will be fairly well established first teamers by then.

League one much stronger when you look at the calibre of some of the clubs init,Sunderland ,Luton,portsmouth,Coventry to begin with all EX premier league clubs,then you have Barnsley,Wimbledon(ex premier too ) and im sure many others ive missed ,all bigger clubs than Southend ,and someone says the league is weak mmmmmmmmm

You don’t play on a pitch with your reputation or history, do you? Just don’t think it’s that strong in reality is all. Don’t consider Luton a massive club to be honest, just a club on a roll at the moment.

Back