• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January Sales Thread

I take your point, but it still would have been better than signing no one

Signing rubbish is better than signing no one? ??

Everyone’s despair at losing Theo would be changed to delight by signing someone with a 1 in 6 goal ratio?

He didn't sign a replacement! He got a goon from Gillingham on a short term deal to the end of the season. We've seen how good those signings from Gillingham are haven't we? He actually said several times in the article that they couldn't get a replacement for the lad who left and that there weer no number 9's available anywhere so they went for a number 10 type.

As Museshrimper said, this does demonstrate the difficulty of getting deals done on transfer deadline day and also demnostrates why SCP says he prefers to get all his business done early in the window if that is at all possible. It's a lottery on deadline day as to whether you sign anyone at all because there are so many things that could go wrong and many of them are not in yours or the players control.

We aren't (and quite right too IMO) in the market for bodies to fill up the bench irrespective of quality or character. We also arent in the market to have other teams' youths on our bench or taking up spots in the U23 team - we have our own for that who are very good. If we'd signed any of those there would also have been merry hell to pay on here! So that leaves it down to signing real targets who are the right age, temperament and quality who are available or possibly available and who could be secured in budget. We tried and it didn't quite happen.

So, IMO, all this frustration by Zoners is entirely justified in terms of our not having made the deadline day deals we wanted happen. But the anger is misdirected.

Signing rubbish is better than signing no one? ??

Everyone’s despair at losing Theo would be changed to delight by signing someone with a 1 in 6 goal ratio?
Could you direct me to where I said that please?

He didn't sign a replacement! He got a goon from Gillingham on a short term deal to the end of the season. We've seen how good those signings from Gillingham are haven't we? He actually said several times in the article that they couldn't get a replacement for the lad who left and that there weer no number 9's available anywhere so they went for a number 10 type.

As Museshrimper said, this does demonstrate the difficulty of getting deals done on transfer deadline day and also demnostrates why SCP says he prefers to get all his business done early in the window if that is at all possible. It's a lottery on deadline day as to whether you sign anyone at all because there are so many things that could go wrong and many of them are not in yours or the players control.

We aren't (and quite right too IMO) in the market for bodies to fill up the bench irrespective of quality or character. We also arent in the market to have other teams' youths on our bench or taking up spots in the U23 team - we have our own for that who are very good. If we'd signed any of those there would also have been merry hell to pay on here! So that leaves it down to signing real targets who are the right age, temperament and quality who are available or possibly available and who could be secured in budget. We tried and it didn't quite happen.

So, IMO, all this frustration by Zoners is entirely justified in terms of our not having made the deadline day deals we wanted happen. But the anger is misdirected.
I hate having bipolar it's quality

Fact is we let Theo go, for whatever reason our potential signing pulled out last minute and now we're asking an 18 year old to do a job. We're in a relegation battle and leaving ourselves short on bodies, when we know we've had an absolutely ridiculous list of injuries this season, is just stupidity

I thought you suggested signing a “Josh Parker” with 27 goals in 165 games on loan from a poor Gillingham side was better than signing no one?
I wouldn't have been particularly over the moon with Josh Parker, he's never really stood out for me when he's played against us. Have absolutely no idea on this Ferrier fella, although by all accounts he seems a bit of a bad egg so potentially a bullet dodged. Would have been a gamble, good or bad.

Whilst I'd rather play our own youth over someone else's, and I'm not for one second suggesting we should have gone for a kid from Spurs with no senior games, we're still in a similar situation with Kelman in the sense that this is a completely new experience for him and he'll most likely take time to adapt to men's football. We obviously benefit from him playing first team games in the long run, but we're not in a position to be giving kids chances for chances sake. I've seen people suggest that we're safe and we can afford this luxury and I couldn't disagree more. I have absolutely no idea where our next win will be coming from over the next 5 or so fixtures.

Back to my point, sometimes players who have experience of the league are needed when you're in a bit of a fight. We've theoretically replaced Theo with Kelman. In our current predicament, I just can't get my head around this, and more so can't get my head around people backing it. Letting Theo go before getting a replacement in in my eyes is just ignorance to the situation we're in

I agree with most of not all of that.....

On another note, can anyone, literally anyone blame Theo for wanting to go?

Some of the abuse the guy took was incredible. Animal like.

Bearing in mind, almost to man we’d all agree to say that if a player gives you effort you’ll go home happy.....the poor guy gave all the effort he had and more....and if one or two of our more talented players gave just as much we’d be in a far healthier position.....but they’ve received nowhere near the criticism Theo did....and now he’s gone we’d almost to a man be happy to have him back!!

I agree with most of not all of that.....

On another note, can anyone, literally anyone blame Theo for wanting to go?

Some of the abuse the guy took was incredible. Animal like.

Bearing in mind, almost to man we’d all agree to say that if a player gives you effort you’ll go home happy.....the poor guy gave all the effort he had and more....and if one or two of our more talented players gave just as much we’d be in a far healthier position.....but they’ve received nowhere near the criticism Theo did....and now he’s gone we’d almost to a man be happy to have him back!!
If he did want to go (is there an Echo quote of this?) then not really no. As you say he received dogs abuse. I could name about 10 strikers in the last 10 years who have been worse than Theo but for whatever reason people have never really taken to him. If a player gives his all then I personally have nothing but respect for them irrespective of quality.

We know he can frustrate, he's very limited in his ability and there's probably an argument that if he didn't have pace then he'd never be a football league player, but I personally wish him well. In my eyes always gave his all

We know he can frustrate, he's very limited in his ability and there's probably an argument that if he didn't have pace then he'd never be a football league player, but I personally wish him well. In my eyes always gave his all

Agreed, with all. Especially the last bit. Couldn't say that about a few who are still at the club who never seem to get abuse or as much as Theo.

So complicated that half the league managed an average of 6 signings and 4 clubs brought in 35?
Barry, why don't you make a list of all the players signed, by all of the other clubs, and then let us know some facts at the end of the season as to how they went, e.g appearances, goals, clean sheets, change in league position, otherwise your posts are just waffle IMO.

Barry, why don't you make a list of all the players signed, by all of the other clubs, and then let us know some facts at the end of the season as to how they went, e.g appearances, goals, clean sheets, change in league position, otherwise your posts are just waffle IMO.

And how much each club spent on them !

More money around now. Was it maybe 25 years ago now Southend paid someone 400,000 right back G Poole. Could you imagine Blues laying out anything like that today.

And that worked out a poor buy as well. Once Judas left, he basically went through the motions, until we got shot of him ( for a lot less? ).
But to be fair, the only reason we had probably the most money to spend than ever been known, was because Forest dished out £2 million + for Stan a couple of months earlier.
Also our attendances at the time, were not much higher than now. And that included more away fans in 93.

And that worked out a poor buy as well. Once Judas left, he basically went through the motions, until we got shot of him ( for a lot less? ).
But to be fair, the only reason we had probably the most money to spend than ever been known, was because Forest dished out £2 million + for Stan a couple of months earlier.
Also our attendances at the time, were not much higher than now. And that included more away fans in 93.
And Vic got in such debt staying up he had to sell the ground, which had only recently been given to the club, to stay afloat , and we then went from div 2 to bottom half of bottom division in two seasons

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell is still keen to bring in another striker, despite the transfer window having now closed.

More...

Surprised there hasn't been more chat about us still trying to sign a striker. The options must be fairly limited now the window has closed, other than Nile Ranger, Darren Bent (who has previous links to Powell) is still out of contract as is Gabby Agbonlahor. There is also Emmanuel Emminike (former Spammer, released by Olypiakos in the summer and still without a club).

Surprised there hasn't been more chat about us still trying to sign a striker. The options must be fairly limited now the window has closed, other than Nile Ranger, Darren Bent (who has previous links to Powell) is still out of contract as is Gabby Agbonlahor. There is also Emmanuel Emminike (former Spammer, released by Olypiakos in the summer and still without a club).
You’d would think a number of clubs would offer these players a trial and see if they can get at least half a good season out of them, especially clubs in relegation trouble, what do they have to lose.

As I understand it we can sign any free agent at any time providing they have been released by their previous club ( and before the end of the window )
Not sure about this bit though.... can also loan in players 7 days after window closes, up until 5pm up to 4th Thursday in March, providing not registered with club ?
Japan , China Brazil, Argentina??
Any experts able to clarify further

Back