• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

January Transfer Window Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the above, a clearout is coming;
Do the club just release / terminate contracts wie?
I'm guessing that could be costly (albeit necessary).
This will free up wages....
Hopefully Sol's :Worthy: contacts have identified "a better for like" already

Sol likely has a few ideas of players who impressed against Macclesfield and might be looking for a bigger club like us under a progressive manager like Sol.

Sol likely has a few ideas of players who impressed against Macclesfield and might be looking for a bigger club like us under a progressive manager like Sol.

I assume not just impressed against Macclesfield but impressed whilst playing for Macclesfield.

Looking at the players who played the most minutes for them last season, Fiacre Kelleher played the most minutes last season, he's a 6'3" central defender, 23 years old. He was on loan from Oxford last season but signed permanently in the close season and is Macclesfield's captain. He might cost us, but he could be on Sol's list and might have a release fee in his contract that is within Ron's budget

I reckon the following -

Kiernan - out on loan somewhere as soon as the window opens
Lennon - ditto
Milligan - ditto
Mantom - ditto
Cox - could go either on loan or sold before the end of the window
Hyam - ditto
Oxley - could go if we get a replacement
Ndukwu- back to Leicester

It wouldn't surprise me if Theo came back.

We will need at least 1 first choice CB and another that could do a job if needed (a loanee)
1 winger
2 central midfielders, one of which MUST be a box to box type player
1 senior goalkeeper - who was that one we had on loan last year from Birmingham... Stockdale? He took 3 games to come good but his 3rd (and last) game was superb. He would be absolutely the ticket.

I am sure Sol has already put the feelers out (oo er) and I am expecting some very early activity... and a fair amount of it.

I reckon the following -

Lennon - ditto
Milligan - ditto
Mantom - ditto
Hyam - ditto

We will need at least 1 first choice CB and another that could do a job if needed (a loanee)
1 winger
1 senior goalkeeper - who was that one we had on loan last year from Birmingham... Stockdale? He took 3 games to come good but his 3rd (and last) game was superb. He would be absolutely the ticket.

I am sure Sol has already put the feelers out (oo er) and I am expecting some very early activity... and a fair amount of it.

fbm, I think you may be wrong about Sam Mantom. Sol Campbell recently spoke positively about the prospect of welcoming him back from injury and I think he will give him an opportunity to demonstrate what he can do. I also think Campbell likes Cox and has no problem with the fact he is articulate providing he continues to put in a good shift on the pitch. But of course I could be completely wrong. Certainly agree that Hyam, Milligan, Oxley and Kiernan are likely to be regarded as surplus to requirements unless one of them discover a bit of form between now and January.

I reckon the following -

Lennon - ditto
Milligan - ditto
Mantom - ditto
Hyam - ditto

1 winger

Wouldn’t disagree with any of that, would add Demetriou to the list of those leaving given Sol’s comments this week about his inability to train every day.

It’s clear that the ship is going to take some considerable time to turn around, and this season is doomed beyond question. As optimistic as I can be, there’s either not enough in this squad or there’s far too ingrained a history of failure that we need a wide scale clear out.

So what actually happens in January? We need a clear out and we need bodies in, but the types of players who will join such a sinking ship will necessarily be questionable at best. No one on an upward path will be joining Southend.

I don’t envy Sol and his team the task. What’s the best we can actually hope for if we’re planning for next season?

I think it will be players who have faith in Sol rather than the club itself. Remember Sturrock managed to sign all of those players when we hadn’t been paying players. Depends if Sol has that kind of pull and reputation that players will sign in this dire situation.

Transfer the following

Oxley
Demetriou
Lennon
Shaughnessy
Milligan
Hyam
Mantom
Hamilton recall
Ndukwo recall

Theo Robinson recalled

Needed

New keeper
Right back
Left back
Big centre half
2 central midfielders one absolute hard *******.
2 wingers.

SOL Campbell is certain Southend United will be able to add to their squad in January - despite their lowly League placing.

More...

I think he will get couples of best players from Macclesfield in, as he worked with them and know them well, given they not getting paid, so they can leave on a free.

He's probably correct. We may not have problems attracting players. We may, however, have problems attracting good players.

I think he will get couples of best players from Macclesfield in, as he worked with them and know them well, given they not getting paid, so they can leave on a free.

The last time a new manager's former club stopped paying wages we helped ourselves to Jonathan Hunt, Mick Bodley and Derek Payne.

I'm pretty sure there are no Jonathan Hunt's languishing at Macclesfield but we might be able to find a slow centre half who can hoof it or someone small who can slap David Speedie in the face.

He is certainly saying the right things. Let's hope that he has several players ready and willing to come to Roots Hall. There's no reason why some good League Two players wouldn't want to come and they may be just what we need to become more competitive again. However, if he is thinking of ageing Premiership/Championship players who can't get regular first team appearances then I wouldn't be so sanguine......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back