• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

January Transfer Window Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best signing we could make at the moment would be an astute and respected CEO. Without one the club has been slipping and sliding down a proper greasy pole.

The best signing we could make at the moment would be an astute and respected CEO. Without one the club has been slipping and sliding down a proper greasy pole.
This. Been said many a time on here by numerous posters, why can’t uncle Ron see it needs sorting... if he knows the problem why have we gone so long without a CEO?

This. Been said many a time on here by numerous posters, why can’t uncle Ron see it needs sorting... if he knows the problem why have we gone so long without a CEO?

That ship has probably sailed with all the others.
Under the current circumstances, attracting and paying a competent CEO will prove as easy as attracting and paying some decent players.

That ship has probably sailed with all the others.
Under the current circumstances, attracting and paying a competent CEO will prove as easy as attracting and paying some decent players.

A CEO would be great but they do have their hands tied and have to do what RM tells them. Kind of pointless for them..

Okay, I understand the anger and frustration.
I have not been a witness to anything other than the on field disaster and disappointment of Mr Bond's tenure however I doubt any of those mentioned are happy with it: AND have stories to tell, some of which can be guessed at. They didn't become poor players just by joining US.
In a cake making analogy we have some eggs, some flour, some butter, some sugar BUT in the wrong quantities and some has passed its shelf life with a chef who only prepares starters not a Baker, (under Bond) .
And now Sol has to try and make something from that lot!

You’re forgot the best bit of the analogy - where the guy who has to make something from that lot doesn’t have a clue what to do.

A CEO would be great but they do have their hands tied and have to do what RM tells them. Kind of pointless for them..
Absolutely.
In an organisation the size of Sufc, a Ceo or whatever title they are given should be doing the hands on function of running the business day to day.
They may well be carrying out the instructions of the Chairman but at least the Chairman isn't getting involved in every negotiation and minutiae which he doesn't have the time or skills to carry out.
Of course football clubs in general and Sufc in particular are not run like businesses out there in the real world!

Don’t.

His statement the other day which essentially said I have to do everything without me the club wouldn’t function... yes, because you’re so ****ing tight you won’t appoint a CEO.

100% a factor in our decline over recent years, poor wage budget control etc.

They'd probably take him. He'll keep quoting that Southend are not getting relegated, they'll think he's bonkers.
'I was going to build a new stadium and make a lot of money'
'Of course you were dear. Now drink up your medicine, it's time for beddybyes'.

It seems awfully similar to last year when we desperately needed reinforcements (although that was because of injuries). 12th January we played Plymouth and were so short of strikers that we brought on a youth teamer.

Stephen Humphrys wasn’t signed until 19th January https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2019/january/blues-complete-humphrys-swoop and Sam Hart 15th Jan https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2019/january/sam-hart-signs-on-loan/
Chris Powell’s comments about getting it over the line are most telling.

Folk keep posting about embargoes, anyone have any factual evidence or is it the normal guessing made up to sound actual?

I do not believe as yet (time of typing this) we have been hit with an embargo, if we do it will be at least the remainder of this window I guess or until the club have satisfied what the EFL demand.

For me (its obvious isnt it?), the recent issues will deter players wanting to come in, especially if any were lined up from Macclesfield (they wont want the same issues again i would assume). Clubs will also, in my opinion, be less likely to loan us players if we cant guarantee we will pay any agreed contribution to the salary.

My guess is both Ron and Sol have discussed the cash flow issues and back tracked in the 6 players coming in, hence Sol's recent ambiguity regarding in-comings.

We probably need to sell before we buy, which again i think is obvious, and then that always takes me back to who do we have that can be sold and is easily replaceable, and also if planning ahead who will stay and play in league 2 as those players who do not want too have a higher value now (if still under contract next season).

Then you have those who are out of contract next season, do we look to move those on now and save the salaries? and again can we replace them easily?

Complete mess, however I am still looking forward to the game on Saturday.

Thinking of left-backs, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson can't get a game at Tranmere at the moment. Was highly thought of a few years ago but seems to have lost his way a bit. Wonder if he could be an option if Man United are able to recall him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back