• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

January Transfer Window Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine, despite his slight quirkiness on social media, that there are many players out there that would want to play for a former player with the stature of Sol.

So if any of you were in charge of recruiting players would you offer them L1 wages now with a 25% cut when they are relegated in May. Or just L2 wages now?

Also be careful what you offer because as many on here have claimed they won't be renewing their season cards it means so until July you wont really know what next seasons budget will be.

So if any of you were in charge of recruiting players would you offer them L1 wages now with a 25% cut when they are relegated in May. Or just L2 wages now?

Also be careful what you offer because as many on here have claimed they won't be renewing their season cards it means so until July you wont really know what next seasons budget will be.

What would you do?

Of the two options it has to be L1 wages now (otherwise where is the incentive..?).

What about the management team employed on contracts which are far above league 2 levels.Do we pay above the norm for them leaving less for recruitment ? .Remember they are still unproven at any level
What a mess to be in ....the next few days will show just how bad things are.
It will also give everyone a clearer indication whether to commit to buying a season ticket.

Having caught the tail end of training earlier this week, Harry Kyp was part of training but not the 7 a side games, so he is getting there. Lovely to see him back out with no protective boot on, and hope he may be back and fit to play competitively in a month or so.

Shaugnessy had a leg brace on at the JB Christmas party so probably further behind Kyps.
Would love to see kyps fit and get a run of games again. Remember speaking to John White at a sponsors evening a few years back and he thought Harry was looking very promising, said something along the lines of him being really strong and very quick which helped him as his positioning wasn't quite there yet but said that would come with experience. Thought he had a bright future.

I know it would be a step backwards, but let’s face it that’s what we are doing , but a Luke Prosser type of defender would suit us fine for this season with a view to next

A central defender like Luke would be a big step forward
I can only think that over time you've forgotten how bad a defender Prosser was, I'm surprised he is still playing league football. I do agree with your sentiment of a no nonsense defender, doesn't have to be a takes the ball out from the back, sprays it about, technical player. For League 2 we need a strong in the air, puts his head in where it hurts and a vocal encouraging organiser ie. a Peter Clarke, Efe Sodje type would be very welcome as is sorely missed since Barrett departed.

I would expect that Ron and Sol will be keeping a tight rein on the whole wage structure - with some players (still here) reportedly on high salaries. Not only can the club not afford big wages but, as in any business, when some people are paid much more than others it will always create disharmony and that cannot have helped things over the last couple of seasons.

Contracts and money is a huge gamble for player and club.
Win bonus, clean sheet bonus, appearance money, cup money, injury and discipline clauses, promotion bonuses, sell on clauses, relocation allowances, length of contract, age, history, faith in manager and owner, links to area, mates etc.
How longs a piece of string.

Contracts and money is a huge gamble for player and club.
Win bonus, clean sheet bonus, appearance money, cup money, injury and discipline clauses, promotion bonuses, sell on clauses, relocation allowances, length of contract, age, history, faith in manager and owner, links to area, mates etc.
How longs a piece of string.

Not much of a gamble on the three highlighted mate... a big fat zero should be expected!

I can only think that over time you've forgotten how bad a defender Prosser was, I'm surprised he is still playing league football. I do agree with your sentiment of a no nonsense defender, doesn't have to be a takes the ball out from the back, sprays it about, technical player. For League 2 we need a strong in the air, puts his head in where it hurts and a vocal encouraging organiser ie. a Peter Clarke, Efe Sodje type would be very welcome as is sorely missed since Barrett departed.
We all have our own opinions Sunny but to say your surprised he’s still playing league football suprises me, always thought Luke was a target for the boo boys, which unfortunately we have a few. But must agree with your choice of PC or Efe To me Luke was a 100% effort solid professional, and very underrated who would definitely put his head in

We all have our own opinions Sunny but to say your surprised he’s still playing league football suprises me, always thought Luke was a target for the boo boys, which unfortunately we have a few. But must agree with your choice of PC or Efe To me Luke was a 100% effort solid professional, and very underrated who would definitely put his head in

Luke was a lovely guy, as you say 100% committed, would be brave and put his head in where it hurts, always giving his best.

Very often his best wasn't really good enough, however. He was okay, had a few good games but in my opinion more poor ones, including the worst SUFC debut I'd ever seen until Liam Ridgewell trumped it.

Luke has played very well this season for us and has developed a great partnership with Tom Eastman at the heart of our defence. He is also our captain and is always organising and encouraging the other defenders around him.

Luke was a lovely guy, as you say 100% committed, would be brave and put his head in where it hurts, always giving his best.

Very often his best wasn't really good enough, however. He was okay, had a few good games but in my opinion more poor ones, including the worst SUFC debut I'd ever seen until Liam Ridgewell trumped it.
Correct me if I’m wrong fbm I thought his debut was against a Bristol team in a cup/ pre season game? Which I was at were a friend said he never took a step back! Whatever it we be good to have committed players like him again, and I look forward to seeing them

I thought it was
Correct me if I’m wrong fbm I thought his debut was against a Bristol team in a cup/ pre season game? Which I was at were a friend said he never took a step back! Whatever it we be good to have committed players like him again, and I look forward to seeing them

Yeah, I'll correct you. The game you're talking about was in the League cup v Bristol City.

His debut was actually 3 days before against Stockport. Prosser was complete gash, especially in the first half.

Blair Sturrock scored a last minute equaliser in that game, a 1-1 draw where only Anthony Grant was known to the home fans. I remember a section of the West stand singing "Who are ya, who are ya" at our own players...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back