• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January transfer window

Josh wright.
He's a player with good close control of the ball, but seemed to Just trot about shirking tackles most games I saw. Could thread a pass sometimes but usually across the field in trotting mode. I seem to recall his attitude towards the end was bad - an issue around not wanting to play once he thought mistakenly he'd triggered his extension, but turned out hadnt.
Not a player you'd want in a relegation fight.

Exactly how I saw it. A decent ball player when the going was good. Not someone you'd want in the trenches with you.

We need a experienced striker which does not seem to compute with MM its pathetic to keep signing defensive positions and not a striker Totally Mad

We need a experienced striker which does not seem to compute with MM its pathetic to keep signing defensive positions and not a striker Totally Mad

Maybe, just maybe, he is working on a number of signings, including an experienced forward.

Would you prefer we didn't sign any other players, even though everything is agreed, until we sign a forward????

Joel Lynch is a centre back right? Can we really afford to have both Lynch and White on our books at the same time?

If negotiations with White are stalling the obvious move would be to bring in an experienced centre-half.

Some might consider this to cover the possibility of White leaving. Others may more cynically suggest that bringing one in to train might encourage White that the offer on the table is more enticing than it originally appeared, particularly if that player had been unemployed for 6 months.

Of course having White on the books last season didn't stop us signing two over 30 centre-halves in Shaughnessy and Ridgewell. Dieng has also been linked with a move.

If negotiations with White are stalling the obvious move would be to bring in an experienced centre-half.

Some might consider this to cover the possibility of White leaving. Others may more cynically suggest that bringing one in to train might encourage White that the offer on the table is more enticing than it originally appeared, particularly if that player had been unemployed for 6 months.

Of course having White on the books last season didn't stop us signing two over 30 centre-halves in Shaughnessy and Ridgewell. Dieng has also been linked with a move.

Joe Shaughnessy was 27 when we signed him.

You could be right. But either way, I think Lynch would be a great signing, whether JW re-signs or not.

Dieng has also been linked with a move.

That's a good point, I'd forgotten about that. Too often we can become a bit binary about whether to sign a player or not (is he good enough or not), but fail to consider the big picture about outgoings, character of the player, overall wage budget etc. etc. - if Dieng is on the verge of leaving in January or White is stalling on another short term contract then these are all factors that MM will have to take into account.

Presumably, after the Ranger comments yesterday, Lynch is actually training within the first team bubble which is a positive sign. During these COVID times it's much more difficult for him to up sticks and go to another club quickly like Steve Anthrobus did (one for the more mature readers!).

That's a good point, I'd forgotten about that. Too often we can become a bit binary about whether to sign a player or not (is he good enough or not), but fail to consider the big picture about outgoings, character of the player, overall wage budget etc. etc. - if Dieng is on the verge of leaving in January or White is stalling on another short term contract then these are all factors that MM will have to take into account.

Presumably, after the Ranger comments yesterday, Lynch is actually training within the first team bubble which is a positive sign. During these COVID times it's much more difficult for him to up sticks and go to another club quickly like Steve Anthrobus did (one for the more mature readers!).
Yes, so many players are on short contracts now. How many will be free agents after this season? Is MM prepared with Ron, to start negotiations with some in the squad now?

Yes, so many players are on short contracts now. How many will be free agents after this season? Is MM prepared with Ron, to start negotiations with some in the squad now?
I’d concentrate on getting deals done for our young promising players at the moment or we will end up losing them for next to nothing as so many are getting league experience behind them right now which means they will be better for it next season, I’d only tie certain experienced players down until the end of the season.

Heres one to ponder on
Maybe? Jason Statham is being brought in in place of JW BUT JW will revert to his old RB roll and ELVIS is on the move ???

Joe Shaughnessy was 27 when we signed him.

You could be right. But either way, I think Lynch would be a great signing, whether JW re-signs or not.

Was he? Blimey, he must have had a hard life.

I agree Lynch could be a great signing (assuming attitude and fitness are right). That's an awful lot of games played at Championship level. I can't help but be reminded of another defender with QPR and Sunderland on their CV - Anton Ferdinand. Hopefully he's got a bit more left in the legs than Anton who made a big impact first season but then looked off the pace. The tricky thing with getting someone in to train is that he'll no doubt look good with his experience but not look fully fit (he hasn't played in a year) when it's his fitness we need to gauge not his ability. The danger is you assume the fitness will improve when maybe it is no longer there.

The only players currently contracted for next season are Akinola, ANG. Phillips and Walsh. Everyone else is playing for a contract (and not necessarily here).

Last edited:
I doubt JW will play anywhere other than the middle nowadays. A CB4 of Hobson, White, Dieng, Lynch would be a good selection to pick from. Might suggest we won't offer Halford, that Lennon not in future plans, and maybe Taylor needs a loan move?

Was he? Blimey, he must have had a hard life.

I agree Lynch could be a great signing (assuming attitude and fitness are right). That's an awful lot of games played at Championship level. I can't help but be reminded of another defender with QPR and Sunderland on their CV - Anton Ferdinand. Hopefully he's got a bit more left in the legs than Anton who made a big impact first season but then looked off the pace. The tricky thing with getting someone in to train is that he'll no doubt look good with his experience but not look fully fit (he hasn't played in a year) when it's his fitness we need to gauge not his ability. The danger is you assume the fitness will improve when maybe it is no longer there.

The only players currently contracted for next season are Akinola, ANG and Walsh. Everyone else is playing for a contract (and not necessarily here).

Harry Phillips is also contracted until 2022 (with a further year option)

Has Timmy Dieng? Who with? I would assume he's on a fair wedge so interesting...

I think people are reading a bit too much into what Lynch training with us means for White. With Lennon injured, the centre backs we currently have are:

John White
Shaun Hobson
Tim Dieng
Greg Halford
Harry Kyprianou
Richard Taylor
Miles Mitchell-Nelson

I’m not sure MM particularly fancies Kyp, and if he intends to use Dieng in midfield long term, that leaves us with White, Hobson and Halford as our only senior centre backs. There’s question marks over how many minutes Halford can give us, so there’s absolutely no harm in getting Lynch in and still keeping White. At present, an injury to White or Hobson would leave us sweating.

I think there'll be a few moves out. For all our good form recently we have been pretty crap for most of the season and a lot of the players simply arent good enough. If Lynch is in any decent shape he would be a shoe-in for a centre back place.

I think people are reading a bit too much into what Lynch training with us means for White. With Lennon injured, the centre backs we currently have are:

John White
Shaun Hobson
Tim Dieng
Greg Halford
Harry Kyprianou
Richard Taylor
Miles Mitchell-Nelson

I’m not sure MM particularly fancies Kyp, and if he intends to use Dieng in midfield long term, that leaves us with White, Hobson and Halford as our only senior centre backs. There’s question marks over how many minutes Halford can give us, so there’s absolutely no harm in getting Lynch in and still keeping White. At present, an injury to White or Hobson would leave us sweating.

This isn't the Premiership. We have no business carrying 9 centre-halves.

In the present environment players have significantly less bargaining clout. Revenue streams are uncertain, and, the continued existence of some clubs is in real doubt. Add to that that many of the bigger and medium clubs may have already shed playing staff, or, if they have not yet done so, will be looking to do so.
When supply exceeds demand it should be a buyer's market.
This situation should be a real test of the skills of MM and his staff as well as his fellow League 2 managers.
Good talent identification is absolutely vital, as, signing the wrong players.....well there is no need to elaborate as we found out all about that during the last two seasons!
Early identification of realistic targets and then being able to sign them is the name of the game, Because of our awful start to the season if we are to remain a Football League Club we need to obtain results in our remaining fixtures. This will not happen unless we can bring in some new players that can make a real difference to the quality of the squad.
It seems we have the funds to make some signings so the next week or two should be fascinating.
The quality of the players we bring in, and, what they bring to the squad, will be the legitimate yardstick by which to judge MM and his team.

This isn't the Premiership. We have no business carrying 9 centre-halves.

One was signed as and still plays as a central midfielder, one was recently loaned to a non-league side, one has a contract until the end of the month and is 36 years old and two are under-23’s that MM seems reluctant to call on, who are presumably on modest wages. We’re not carrying 9 White’s or 9 Hobson’s.

I also wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Kyprianou and Halford leave, as well as Mitchell-Nelson going on loan.

Back