• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January transfer window

We still need 3 more players in, especially a Barry Corr type forward, plus keep our loan midfielder till end of season & keep White & Macca too.

If they get you 14 points from 7 games then why not, its title winning form.
Its not always true in life but in this case those teachers seem to know more than us pupils. So crack on MM and continue the good work.
Not knocking him and a less facetious way for me to put it would be we're looking for a blend of youth and experience to lift us up the table. The broader point I was making is that in the new normal we won't be signing fit mid twenties players with solid EFL experience. If you want to get out of trouble unproven youngsters and the fitness and motivation of older players would seem a riskier proposition but the only way open to us. Against Bristol Rovers at the end of last season 8 'home grown' youngsters made it onto the pitch. Against Barrow only one out of 14 players that made it onto the pitch was 'home grown'. Whilst promoting youth MM in general apparently didn't much rate the young talent he inherited.

Not knocking him and a less facetious way for me to put it would be we're looking for a blend of youth and experience to lift us up the table. The broader point I was making is that in the new normal we won't be signing fit mid twenties players with solid EFL experience. If you want to get out of trouble unproven youngsters and the fitness and motivation of older players would seem a riskier proposition but the only way open to us. Against Bristol Rovers at the end of last season 8 'home grown' youngsters made it onto the pitch. Against Barrow only one out of 14 players that made it onto the pitch was 'home grown'. Whilst promoting youth MM in general apparently didn't much rate the young talent he inherited.

I don't think MM is in anyway anti youth. Some left for bigger things and some like Egbri and clifford are injured.

On top of that, when i see Akinola doing the perfect challenge for an Oxley kick on the edge of their area. Then a superb finish by Reeko. With an early shot (how often does that not happen)....You can understand why Acquah never got picked.

At this moment in time MM has to pick the players that are going to get us out of relegation trouble the quickest route regardless of the players ages.
In the longer term the future of the club definitely lies in our strong youth development policy which has served us well in the past.

I don't think MM is in anyway anti youth. Some left for bigger things and some like Egbri and clifford are injured.

On top of that, when i see Akinola doing the perfect challenge for an Oxley kick on the edge of their area. Then a superb finish by Reeko. With an early shot (how often does that not happen)....You can understand why Acquah never got picked.

Spot on. Furthermore, the fact that Molesley chose to bring on Richard Taylor over Acquah to replace the tiring Akinola tells you where Emile stands in the overall pecking order.

MM knew from the off that the young players, however talented weren’t what you need to get out of League 2 relegation bother!

One or two is fine but they need to be looked after and helped by more experienced leaders. People can criticise a Kelman or a Hutchinson all they like but I can assure you they wouldn’t have wanted or enjoyed being expected to be leading characters in a struggling team short on confidence losing games and getting criticised when they’d have been far happier trying to just worry about their own performances and being protected by more senior players.

Surely it wasn’t a surprise to anyone that of the first three games only the Gillingham game showed any promise, when we had White and Dieng alongside Hobson and Hutchinson as opposed to Harrogate for example where it was Taylor and Gard alongside the same two? Young players need guidance next to them which is why now you see an Olyinka or Taylor thriving alongside a Macca / Dieng / Demetriou in midfield and Hobson improving alongside White....

The only player we had on Saturday that fits the profile of fit, in his twenties with solid EFL experience was Dieng who by common consent is our player of the year so far. In the long term I would argue you need the bulk of your team to have this profile with some younger players that will go on to a higher level and older ones who have been there. The fact that Dieng shines at the moment to me says we still have a relatively weak and unbalanced (in terms of experience) team. They are giving 100%, We are where we are and MM is managing the resources he has and recruiting what is realistic and has strung together a remarkable set of results in the circumstances.

Keep
Macca - no replacement for experience and this is valuable in our current plight
White - 100% shrimper, stayed loyal and never lets us down. Hobson/White best CB partnership this season and the improvement in Hobson since white came back from injury is huge
Halford - versatile and can offer something different. Not sure he should be starting but he is who we needed to come on for Akinola on Saturday. Not bothered about the red card as thought it was harsh, a warning would have been more applicable than the second yellow
Taylor - if possible, more likely after our winning run
Olyinka - if possible, more likely after our winning run

In addition -
- if Joe Lynch is still with us and fit then he would be an excellent addition
- Not sure Holmes would be the answer or needed now, maybe three or four years ago, but with Egbri, Walsh, ANG, Fairchild, Hart we have plenty of wide players. But we still miss a ball player. Taylor and Olyinka can do it, but not consistently, so maybe a CM with an eye for a pass
- a target man is a must. Akinola wins so much in the air, but we need him (and Goodship) feeding off the target man not be it. Acquah/Taylor are no where good enough, Halford could do it but not everygame, so a Barry Corr, Brett Angell type player is a must

If the above can be achieved i think we will be fine and although its not going to be easy that should be good enough to keep us in the league. in MM we trust

Spot on. Furthermore, the fact that Molesley chose to bring on Richard Taylor over Acquah to replace the tiring Akinola tells you where Emile stands in the overall pecking order.

I actually think Richard Taylor was excellent when he came on Saturday. Big and strong and was very clever at taking the ball to the corner, shielding it well to waste as much time as possible.

Much prefer him up that end of the post. Scares the hell out of me when he plays in defence

Keep
Macca - no replacement for experience and this is valuable in our current plight
White - 100% shrimper, stayed loyal and never lets us down. Hobson/White best CB partnership this season and the improvement in Hobson since white came back from injury is huge
Halford - versatile and can offer something different. Not sure he should be starting but he is who we needed to come on for Akinola on Saturday. Not bothered about the red card as thought it was harsh, a warning would have been more applicable than the second yellow
Taylor - if possible, more likely after our winning run
Olyinka - if possible, more likely after our winning run

In addition -
- if Joe Lynch is still with us and fit then he would be an excellent addition
- Not sure Holmes would be the answer or needed now, maybe three or four years ago, but with Egbri, Walsh, ANG, Fairchild, Hart we have plenty of wide players. But we still miss a ball player. Taylor and Olyinka can do it, but not consistently, so maybe a CM with an eye for a pass
- a target man is a must. Akinola wins so much in the air, but we need him (and Goodship) feeding off the target man not be it. Acquah/Taylor are no where good enough, Halford could do it but not everygame, so a Barry Corr, Brett Angell type player is a must

If the above can be achieved i think we will be fine and although its not going to be easy that should be good enough to keep us in the league. in MM we trust

Deing seems to fit that criteria. Played Bwomono in with a great ball on Saturday and has done the same on numerous occasions. Wasn't it Dieng who played that delightful reverse pass for Cox to score against Portsmouth I think a couple of seasons ago

Edit- it was Dieng who played that reverse pass to Cox for his hat trick goal against Portsmouth

Last edited:

Hobson was improving well before White cane back from injury; don't think you can lay that on White!!

White is useful, but he has a tendency to give away stupid fouls; one which could have cost us Saturday. Personally I would prefer White to be back up to a better CB

Hobson was improving well before White cane back from injury; don't think you can lay that on White!!

White is useful, but he has a tendency to give away stupid fouls; one which could have cost us Saturday. Personally I would prefer White to be back up to a better CB

Funny how we all see things differently but then that's the joy of football. For me White playing regularly at the back has been key to us only conceding 4 goals in the last 7 games and alongside Hobson they have been excellant recently and also Hobson alongside Dieng, Hobson beside either of those two on paper is our best partnership but agree signing another CB (maybe Lynch) could see white missing out especially if his fitness becomes an issue. But let's be pleased with the recent upturn in form and hope it continues this Saturday, another must win game

Funny how we all see things differently but then that's the joy of football. For me White playing regularly at the back has been key to us only conceding 4 goals in the last 7 games and alongside Hobson they have been excellant recently and also Hobson alongside Dieng, Hobson beside either of those two on paper is our best partnership but agree signing another CB (maybe Lynch) could see white missing out especially if his fitness becomes an issue. But let's be pleased with the recent upturn in form and hope it continues this Saturday, another must win game

He played in only 3 of those games!

In the 4 games he missed we only conceded twice.

We definitely see things differently, as I certainly didn't see White in all those 7 games ?

Back