• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January transfer window

We need a goalscorer, maybe two! We’ve tightened up at the back we just need someone to regularly stick the ball in the net.

Last edited:
Disagree. Wasn’t beaten down his side, anticipated a ball behind Hobson, supported Recco and linked well with Demi when needed.

Maybe. Hesitant with passing, only passed backwards, passed us into pressure at the back a couple of times and had no penetration going forward. I’m not saying he’s terrible, far from it. He did some things well. However he hasn’t positively contributed much in terms of affecting the outcome of a game for some time and I think he could do with competition. You don’t think competition for places is a good thing?

Maybe. Hesitant with passing, only passed backwards, passed us into pressure at the back a couple of times and had no penetration going forward. I’m not saying he’s terrible, far from it. He did some things well. However he hasn’t positively contributed much in terms of affecting the outcome of a game for some time and I think he could do with competition. You don’t think competition for places is a good thing?

Agree. Need a loan RB in to push Elvis. He has gone backwards this year. Not terrible but not contributing much, would be nice to either have a solid defender or a solider player that can get forward there. Elvis is neither of those atm.

I didn’t say competition for places was a bad thing? But I thought Elvis did Ok today.

We have lots of options at RB too.

We have people who can play there, but not as their primary position these days. JD hasn‘t got the legs for running up and down the touchline any more. Who is the first-team-ready right back you have in mind as current firm competition for the right back spot?

We have people who can play there, but not as their primary position these days. JD hasn‘t got the legs for running up and down the touchline any more. Who is the first-team-ready right back you have in mind as current firm competition for the right back spot?

I think in an ideal world signing someone to challenge Elvis wouldn’t be a bad shout. But we’re not exactly swimming in cash otherwise Ron would have cleared the embargo months before he finally did. If we’ve got limited resources then for me the primary target has to be a striker. Today we were crying out for a big striker to help make the ball stick up front. If we’d had a Barry Corr or Marc-Antoine Fortune up top for Akinola and Nathaniel-George to play off I think we win the game. At the moment Akinola is being forced to try and win headers against big centre halves and then do what he’s good at if he actually wins the ball. He needs some help.

I think in an ideal world signing someone to challenge Elvis wouldn’t be a bad shout. But we’re not exactly swimming in cash otherwise Ron would have cleared the embargo months before he finally did. If we’ve got limited resources then for me the primary target has to be a striker. Today we were crying out for a big striker to help make the ball stick up front. If we’d had a Barry Corr or Marc-Antoine Fortune up top for Akinola and Nathaniel-George to play off I think we win the game. At the moment Akinola is being forced to try and win headers against big centre halves and then do what he’s good at if he actually wins the ball. He needs some help.

Oh absolutely agree - we need more up top. We need a few things - I was just offering a personal observation/opinion on one of the things I think might benefit the team.

JD........ and MM seems to rather like Rob Howard.

Haven’t seen RH but he’s on the bench every week..... but this is a transfer thread Mr Mod.

One rule for one and one rule for another.

Oh absolutely agree - we need more up top. We need a few things - I was just offering a personal observation/opinion on one of the things I think might benefit the team.
Can’t see a RB benefitting the team much at all. We rarely concede goals down the right hand side, Elvis might be guilty of the odd sloppy pass but he is pretty sound defensively. The issue is more with the left hand side. And even that doesn’t need addressing with transfers in this window. We’ve only conceded 6 goals in the last 8 games, the defence isn’t much of a problem. If we need to bring in any defender it’s a CB to cover White in case previous injuries flare up again.

We need transfers that will help us stay up, a striker and a midfielder (if Olayinka leaves) will help us do that. A RB to sit on the bench to keep Elvis on his toes won’t. Having said that I don’t think it’s a bad idea for the summer transfer window, if we do manage to stay up.

Can’t see a RB benefitting the team much at all. We rarely concede goals down the right hand side, Elvis might be guilty of the odd sloppy pass but he is pretty sound defensively. The issue is more with the left hand side. And even that doesn’t need addressing with transfers in this window. We’ve only conceded 6 goals in the last 8 games, the defence isn’t much of a problem. If we need to bring in any defender it’s a CB to cover White in case previous injuries flare up again.

We need transfers that will help us stay up, a striker and a midfielder (if Olayinka leaves) will help us do that. A RB to sit on the bench to keep Elvis on his toes won’t. Having said that I don’t think it’s a bad idea for the summer transfer window, if we do manage to stay up.

Totally agree, we don't need another right back. We have Howard as cover there. We need another CB more, and probably a forward

We definitely need a forward, it could be what makes the difference between us staying up or not.

How much we want to commit to paying someone will depend on how likely Ron thinks relegation actually being a thing this season is, thats something only those with true inside knowledge will know

Goalscorers cost money, unfortunately we haven't got any. The fact we bottom of league 2 doesn't make it that appealing for players to join either. So we left with youngsters on loan from premier league clubs or free transfers who most probably have injury record and not up to match standard. Doesn't really leave MM many options regards to finding that natural goalscorer to fire us to safety!

Goalscorers cost money, unfortunately we haven't got any. The fact we bottom of league 2 doesn't make it that appealing for players to join either. So we left with youngsters on loan from premier league clubs or free transfers who most probably have injury record and not up to match standard. Doesn't really leave MM many options regards to finding that natural goalscorer to fire us to safety!
Fairchild had 3-4 options for league 2 clubs to join. Portsmouth and Fairchild chose Southend. Players know they will get games here and we are a big club for this league, so I don’t think we are that unattractive actually.

Fairchild had 3-4 options for league 2 clubs to join. Portsmouth and Fairchild chose Southend. Players know they will get games here and we are a big club for this league, so I don’t think we are that unattractive actually.
True. I suppose it's down to MM and his recruitment team to find the right 1. Just hope it's not another sterling.

Back