• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January transfer window

Akinola is very decent- and with the right support alongside will be even more effective. He is a great 10 goals a season supporting striker.

The blinding need for a CF has been there months so there must be a target list that that has gone through the algorithms and spreadsheets and other due diligence.

I accept that attracting people here right now is not easy. However, as we have debated many times on here before about players who leave to no longer play a game of mens football stuck in some u21s or to warm the bench elsewhere getting no game time- money talks. First an agents interest is first and foremost the agent- so ££ there I am afraid. And then a player, time and time again, overcomes his reluctance when offered more money (especially the more experienced players who have a family and are nearer the end than the beginning of their careers). And then there are numerous clubs struggling currently, and a striker they are not utilising (maybe at L1 level) they will suddenly be happier to let go if someone is paying all their wages or even more attractive offering a fee that means they can pay next months players wages.

Now you will scream-- we have no money. Yes times are hard but actually we are in a better position than many clubs. And weighed against is the cost of non-league football - investing now makes sense.

With the current array of wingers and "false 9s" we can expect another 14/15 goals this season. We will be extraordinarily lucky for those to be somehow concentrated in games we get something out of. Basically we will need a load of 0-0, 1-1 and 1-0s to stay up.

I would worry less about who has the perfect attitude and the metrics in the analysis and focus on this- goals per minute on the pitch. Do they know where the onion bag is. A complete whining pain in the arse who gives us 10-12 goals to the end of season and results in that 14/15 becoming 25 and keeps us up is worth it- even if the spreadsheet says dont do it or even if he isn't on the spreadsheet at all.

Agreed, and I can imagine what Ron might be saying to Mark about that. Were the signings of Walsh, Halford and Cordner really necessary? To my mind all three are luxuries we couldn't afford. Striker and central midfield were obvious areas for attention and I fear that Ron may now be saying make do with the squad you have assembled.
Halford is terrible, even if Walsh is 'one for the future' we need to think about now. Taylor Cordner did well last night and was one of the only ones who could leave the pitch with any credit

I’d table a hefty bid for Hopper. Bet he’d love to come back. He’d just got settled here.

Thought I would add a pointless post here just because, unbelievably, the January Transfer thread was about to fall off the page. Says it all really..

Akinola is very decent- and with the right support alongside will be even more effective. He is a great 10 goals a season supporting striker.

The blinding need for a CF has been there months so there must be a target list that that has gone through the algorithms and spreadsheets and other due diligence.

I accept that attracting people here right now is not easy. However, as we have debated many times on here before about players who leave to no longer play a game of mens football stuck in some u21s or to warm the bench elsewhere getting no game time- money talks. First an agents interest is first and foremost the agent- so ££ there I am afraid. And then a player, time and time again, overcomes his reluctance when offered more money (especially the more experienced players who have a family and are nearer the end than the beginning of their careers). And then there are numerous clubs struggling currently, and a striker they are not utilising (maybe at L1 level) they will suddenly be happier to let go if someone is paying all their wages or even more attractive offering a fee that means they can pay next months players wages.

Now you will scream-- we have no money. Yes times are hard but actually we are in a better position than many clubs. And weighed against is the cost of non-league football - investing now makes sense.

With the current array of wingers and "false 9s" we can expect another 14/15 goals this season. We will be extraordinarily lucky for those to be somehow concentrated in games we get something out of. Basically we will need a load of 0-0, 1-1 and 1-0s to stay up.

I would worry less about who has the perfect attitude and the metrics in the analysis and focus on this- goals per minute on the pitch. Do they know where the onion bag is. A complete whining pain in the arse who gives us 10-12 goals to the end of season and results in that 14/15 becoming 25 and keeps us up is worth it- even if the spreadsheet says dont do it or even if he isn't on the spreadsheet at all.
You're saying Ranger aren't you? ;)

Announce ranger and holmes for that fact. Dont think MM got many options in the transfer market apart from youth loans or players on free transfers who haven't played for while.

Announce ranger and holmes for that fact. Dont think MM got many options in the transfer market apart from youth loans or players on free transfers who haven't played for while.
Desperate times call for desperate measures. If they can stay fit, score goals and behave (this part mainly applies to Nile) then I think we've got no choice but to give them a shot

You're saying Ranger aren't you? ;)
No.
I agree with MM assessment that even if he was considered it would be difficult for him to achieve match fitness for this season. And Ranger instead of a match fit CF who fits the bill no.
We need two decent CFs- if depressingly we only get one (none would be unthinkable) then Ranger on a short term deal may provide something from the bench, starting on occasion a few weeks down the line but he is not THE solution.
Besides is he even training? He was never training with the squad as he was never going to be in the first team bubble- has he been training on his own monitored by the coaching team- we don't know- indeed these days we no virtually nothing about anything.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. If they can stay fit, score goals and behave (this part mainly applies to Nile) then I think we've got no choice but to give them a shot
Might aswell take the gamble!

Genuinely think we should just give Theo Robinson a call
That would be a good call (doubt he would come- but he has goals in him- a bit too like Akinola perhaps). Holmes would be yet another winger- but one who knows where the back of the net is and will create chances- in our current situation and with MM clearly struggling to recruit why would you not take someone of his quality if he were available? On the famed "list' of targets or not. Now is the time to be pragmatic.

I just saw Nile Ranger helping an elderly lady withdraw cash in Southend high street. I shouted "Nile!! Are you coming back to Southend" He turned, pulled down his bottom lip and smiled to reveal his tattoo. He then swiftly ran away...Make of that what you will
If he ran swiftly away its a sign his training is going well

Back