• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Now that we are in a relegation scrap & that we can hardly play free flowing liquid football on that ‘pitch’ should we actually be looking at some physically bigger players that we can lump it up to? A few of those Fleetwood lad dominated us today.

I honestly think that with Wordsworth out, he may move Kightly into central midfield for a bit. Which may mean he could be interested in Thomas. Do I think Kightly in the middle will work, probably not. But who knows what Brown is planning!
Gets some wins, or he can plan for div 2

So tomorrow is the half-way point of the window and we're no closer to bringing anyone in. Anyone worried yet?

So tomorrow is the half-way point of the window and we're no closer to bringing anyone in. Anyone worried yet?

Of course we are.

Once the other teams have conducted their business, you know the ones with money for an actual transfer, like Fleetwood for example. We can re look at our list and see who to bring in on loan for free.....That's how it works for SUFC for the last 8 years.

Do you know I'm begging to get the impression that many of our fans don't seem to understand that.

Of course we are.

Once the other teams have conducted their business, you know the ones with money for an actual transfer, like Fleetwood for example. We can re look at our list and see who to bring in on loan for free.....That's how it works for SUFC for the last 8 years.

Do you know I'm begging to get the impression that many of our fans don't seem to understand that.

I'm well aware we do business later than usual but why should it have to be that way?

Not all transfers will be for money, some will be loans that have been completed already. Other teams will identify players before the window. Did we?

We've just sold Leonard, we should have some money available, even if most of it will be paid in installments down the line.

I'm well aware we do business later than usual but why should it have to be that way?

Not all transfers will be for money, some will be loans that have been completed already. Other teams will identify players before the window. Did we?

We've just sold Leonard, we should have some money available, even if most of it will be paid in installments down the line.

The vast majority of League 1 transfers this window so far have been free transfers, nominal fees or loans. Only Fleetwood, Oxford and Wigan have spent proper money. Don’t listen to the excuses.

The vast majority of League 1 transfers this window so far have been free transfers, nominal fees or loans. Only Fleetwood, Oxford and Wigan have spent proper money. Don’t listen to the excuses.
Quite right, and in any case, has any other league one club actually sold a player for as much as we got for Leonard? Why are we always so slow out of the blocks?

If we don't pay for anyone and the fans and club don't want loanees like last summer then the choice is fairly limited. That means any league 1,2 or even non league decent players are off the list.

Even then you may find a decent youngish striker, out of contract, scored goals in L1, who has meetings with PB and even a trip to sunny Southend. You can make sure his family don't venture down the High Street or over to RH and then wouldn't you just know it his agent approaches another team in L1 and they offer him £100,000 per year more than us......So in the end you start looking for players who no one else wants because they come with a risk, like injuries or don't have an alarm clock, enjoy a night out etc.

So the question you may all want to ask yourself is who has been our most successful manger but has spent less in the Transfer market than PB.......Just your top 3 will do.

P.S it wasn't that long ago we could not sign people early because we couldn't pay them. So if you went and bought a season ticket as you handed over the cash one of the current squad would be waiting behind the window to grab it and say "Thanks lads, at least I've been paid this month"

Decided to check, in terms of loans.

Blackburn (1), Wigan (1 - Christian Walton, remember him?), Scunthorpe (3), Bradford (1), Rochdale (1), MK (1), Charlton (1), Northampton (1), Oldham (2), Shrewsbury (1), Bury (3), Portsmouth (2), Plymouth (4) and Blackpool (1).

If we don't pay for anyone and the fans and club don't want loanees like last summer then the choice is fairly limited. That means any league 1,2 or even non league decent players are off the list.

Even then you may find a decent youngish striker, out of contract, scored goals in L1, who has meetings with PB and even a trip to sunny Southend. You can make sure his family don't venture down the High Street or over to RH and then wouldn't you just know it his agent approaches another team in L1 and they offer him £100,000 per year more than us......So in the end you start looking for players who no one else wants because they come with a risk, like injuries or don't have an alarm clock, enjoy a night out etc.

So the question you may all want to ask yourself is who has been our most successful manger but has spent less in the Transfer market than PB.......Just your top 3 will do.

P.S it wasn't that long ago we could not sign people early because we couldn't pay them. So if you went and bought a season ticket as you handed over the cash one of the current squad would be waiting behind the window to grab it and say "Thanks lads, at least I've been paid this month"

If you pay a free transfer £4K for a 2 year contact, that costs approx £400k.

If you spent £100k fee, and pay £2k per week to the player for the 2 years that costs approx £300k.

We have chosen the former route and PB has had a decent budget.

If you pay a free transfer £4K for a 2 year contact, that costs approx £400k.

If you spent £100k fee, and pay £2k per week to the player for the 2 years that costs approx £300k.

We have chosen the former route and PB has had a decent budget.

Perhaps you could list any players who cost £100,000 but are happy to play for £2k per week.

Certainly won't be Ricky Holmes he normally gets a mention around this time, being a local lad. Of course I cant be certain he wouldn't leave Charlton, he doesn't like the manger (allegedly) but he does earn £9,000 per week so it can't all be bad.

Perhaps you could list any players who cost £100,000 but are happy to play for £2k per week.

The figures were an example. It could be £50k and £3k a week which works out cheaper than £4k a week over the 2 year period. The point I'm trying to make is that PB has had a decent budget to work with, but he's blown it. In fact, he's also tied us in to long term deals for some old players - if we drop this season, they'll take up the budget next season too and we risk dropping out of the league. Stick by him though, he won't make this mistake again in this transfer window.

Certainly won't be Ricky Holmes he normally gets a mention around this time, being a local lad. Of course I cant be certain he wouldn't leave Charlton, he doesn't like the manger (allegedly) but he does earn £9,000 per week so it can't all be bad.

9k a week. A number you pulled from thin air or more information you have, like Scunthorpe and Bradfords transfer budgets?

Back