• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The figures were an example. It could be £50k and £3k a week which works out cheaper than £4k a week over the 2 year period. The point I'm trying to make is that PB has had a decent budget to work with, but he's blown it. In fact, he's also tied us in to long term deals for some old players - if we drop this season, they'll take up the budget next season too and we risk dropping out of the league. Stick by him though, he won't make this mistake again in this transfer window.

Its not about whether PB stays or not I'm just pointing out the difficulties that any manger would have at our club if only promotion to the Championship is deemed a success.

If you look at L1 at the moment its just like the PL. The 5 clubs with the biggest budgets are in the top 6 and the next 5 are in the top 11. Even with the worst season in 20 years , clueless Brown in charge and players who are stealing one last pay day we are about 4 points below our budget....Had we scored our penalties we would be above it.

Sorry to p*** on everyone's bonfire but the football world has moved on financially in leaps and bounds since the Dave Webb days. The season in the Championship under Tilson must of taught you something and we have gone backwards compared to others since then.

9k a week. A number you pulled from thin air or more information you have, like Scunthorpe and Bradfords transfer budgets?

Other posters have told you that if you care to look.

I don't need to invent figures. Anyone would know that Charlton are a far bigger club than us, unless of course they spend time trying to troll people like Leoblue off of the zone.

Other posters have told you that if you care to look.

I don't need to invent figures. Anyone would know that Charlton are a far bigger club than us, unless of course they spend time trying to troll people like Leoblue off of the zone.

I am interested to know where you get your info on Holmes being on 9k. Not trolling, genuinely interested

I am interested to know where you get your info on Holmes being on 9k. Not trolling, genuinely interested

From someone who knows him personally and is involved in Football on the commercial side of things. He has no reason to make that up, neither do I.

As I have said on another thread whatever happens I can't see PB being here next season so even if you get one of the 200 names I've seen mentioned on here over the last few years (some have been sacked 2 or 3 times since) Then what would be your realistic target for next season if FF is still on hold.

Lets just get a few things factually accurate shall we.

Of the majority of signings in the window the majority have been loans and frees. There are about 42 signings to date. We are one of only 3 clubs not to have made a move
By the 3rd day from the opening already 9 loans had taken place

I do not believe for one minute in the perspective that we are completely dependent on waiting foe every club with money to move before we can . This is nonsense as just a cursory look at the transfer window confirms how straightforward it seems to be for other clubs to plan ahead and move quickly on the loan front.
Neither do I believe we have no money given the sale of Leonard. This concept that we are unable to do anything or compete until everyone else has is either daft or dangerous
Neither do I believe the club determined to Not get any loanees because of the fans didnt want this. I dont remember being consulted. This was clearly a Management decision as stated by them. I believe a goodly proportion of fans would like to see loanees. The issue is about our poor ability as demonstrated consistently in the past to recruit decent ones, and many of our opponents are doing extremely well from it. Phil even said it added to difficulties in managing the squad and the decision was made to have a smaller squad with m ore quality
Dont be taken in by too much desparate propaganda

Apparently we can only take risky dregs , effectively that no one else wants, because we are so poor , and occupy such in such a naff place, so we have to take the very risky, with potential injuries or people who cant tell the time or need to be out on the town

Great picture of our club there Riggers and our Community

Lets just get a few things factually accurate shall we.

Of the majority of signings in the window the majority have been loans and frees. There are about 42 signings to date. We are one of only 3 clubs not to have made a move
By the 3rd day from the opening already 9 loans had taken place

I do not believe for one minute in the perspective that we are completely dependent on waiting foe every club with money to move before we can . This is nonsense as just a cursory look at the transfer window confirms how straightforward it seems to be for other clubs to plan ahead and move quickly on the loan front.
Neither do I believe we have no money given the sale of Leonard. This concept that we are unable to do anything or compete until everyone else has is either daft or dangerous
Neither do I believe the club determined to Not get any loanees because of the fans didnt want this. I dont remember being consulted. This was clearly a Management decision as stated by them. I believe a goodly proportion of fans would like to see loanees. The issue is about our poor ability as demonstrated consistently in the past to recruit decent ones, and many of our opponents are doing extremely well from it. Phil even said it added to difficulties in managing the squad and the decision was made to have a smaller squad with m ore quality
Dont be taken in by too much desparate propaganda

Then why moan because we haven't signed anyone on loan. Lots of people have said they would rather we develop our own players like Kyp or Norman Wabo than develop someone from Spurs or West Ham.

If fans want PB out then he won't be spending any of the Lenny money and makes it difficult to sign anyone if they think the manger might not be here in a week. So lets hope some of the targets do arrive this week and cheer everyone up.

What we do know for a fact is signing the first players you can for the sake it is guaranteed failure. You praised Bury this summer for signing 15 players and Port vale the season before for another 15. So out of those 30 players signed to our rivals which ones would you recommend ?

I see Jack Payne has been recalled from his loan with Oxford.
Been OK there but sometimes not started/subbed early- doubt Huddersfield are recalling him to play in the Premier so maybe a loan somewhere else?

Been OK there but sometimes not started/subbed early- doubt Huddersfield are recalling him to play in the Premier so maybe a loan somewhere else?
We should sign him, he'd love playing on our deck and would be majestic given the long balls he'd receive

Har har Lenny!

What we need are some heavy duty cloggers to fit with Phils kick and rush brand of football. If we’re going to do the 1980s justice we may as well go all out and do it properly. Three Akinfenwas one each down the spine of the team would be super.

Last edited:

No thanks. An overrated luxury

From someone who knows him personally and is involved in Football on the commercial side of things. He has no reason to make that up, neither do I.

As I have said on another thread whatever happens I can't see PB being here next season so even if you get one of the 200 names I've seen mentioned on here over the last few years (some have been sacked 2 or 3 times since) Then what would be your realistic target for next season if FF is still on hold.

Fair enough if it's a good source. The only thing I would say on that is I doubt very much that Ricky Holmes wants his salary plastered all over forums, especially if the source is a personal aquaintance

How about Jay Emmanuel-Thomas?
QPR will all but give him away; he's a big brick s***house of a striker; he's fit; he's 27, and he scores against us! Maybe, he could do a similar job for Blues as he did Gillingham last season where he averaged a goal every three games.
If you're going to hit it long, why not to someone where the ball is going to stick?

Yep, gifted players with the ability to create chances and hurt teams in the final third are not welcome here.

He won't create chances for us though because we just play it long and Payne is tiny, it's not like we have anyone that will be able to feed him either. He'd be completely wasted in our team and just make us concede even more goals since he is a purely attacking midfielder.

How about Jay Emmanuel-Thomas?
QPR will all but give him away; he's a big brick s***house of a striker; he's fit; he's 27, and he scores against us! Maybe, he could do a similar job for Blues as he did Gillingham last season where he averaged a goal every three games.
If you're going to hit it long, why not to someone where the ball is going to stick?

Another risky signing, as he hasn’t played a competitive league game since he left Gills last season as far as I’m aware.

QPR are desperate to get rid of him, and also a Polski International midfielder called Ariel Borysiuk, I know nowt about him, but he could put a few hundred on the gate considering the large Polish community in Southend.

Fair enough if it's a good source. The only thing I would say on that is I doubt very much that Ricky Holmes wants his salary plastered all over forums, especially if the source is a personal aquaintance

Maybe if some of you didn't spend every week slagging all things SUFC and claiming we have one of the biggest budgets in L1 then I wouldn't have to mention poor Ricky's wages. Some of the claims in past posts (not you Dave) like £5,000 per week for Barnard or Eastwood were damaging and utter bull s***

By the way in the football world away from the fans they all know who is earning what so its no secret. We were having the very conversation about what clubs are paying for X and Y, so it wasn't told to me in confidence. They even know what pundit earns what. Some of those presenters and pundits get very bitchy behind the scenes.

Some of you need reminding that we have had players in L1 in the PB era on £1,000 per week. That's not enough to be told to F*** off when you come over to clap the fans, nor to be targeted on twitter or have to hide your family in one of our sterile boxes because of ignorant foul mouthed idiots in the stands.

Another risky signing, as he hasn’t played a competitive league game since he left Gills last season as far as I’m aware.

QPR are desperate to get rid of him, and also a Polski International midfielder called Ariel Borysiuk, I know nowt about him, but he could put a few hundred on the gate considering the large Polish community in Southend.

Be a BOLD signing.

Back