• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Century United

Firewalking for HD
Daily Express (Scottish Edition) 15-3-07

Shrimpers Want Jason

Southend want to sign St Johnstone striker Jason Scotland.

The struggling Championship side, who also have former Motherwell players Stevie Hammell and Richie Foran, have already spoken to the the frontman's agent and are trying to convince him to move to Roots Hall.

The Trinidad and Tobago international has already netted 20 goals this season and is certain to quit McDiarmid Park in the summer.

The Ex-Dundee United player caught the eye of the Shrimpers when he helped knock Motherwell out of the Scottish Cup to earn a semi-final slot against Celtic, and is waiting for them to finalise their offer.

Scotland has also been linked with a move to Aberdeen, but it's likely the Pittodrie outfit will be priced out of the market.

The player's agent, Mike Berry, said :"Several clubs have spoken to me about Jason.
"I'm not suprised there is a lot of interest because he is scoring goals for fun and everybody knows he's out of contract in the summer.
"His Scottish Cup heroics have also not done him any harm and if he can do well against Celtic it will make his situation even stronger."

With thanks to Derek Martin who spotted that.

Very interesting post . Would my line of thinking be going too far if I said..

Jason Scotland do do , do do

We will end up with more strikers than a box of Swan Vesta...Maybe he is for the future.:confused:.. surely he wont want to come on loan and I doubt St Johnstone would want that either.

But who knows in this mad world

Last edited:
Would be a brilliant signing always seeing his name flash on soccer saturday on sky sports news. Maybe a better option than some of the strikers we currently have.

dont think he can really be one for the future i think hes 27 according to the last time i looked on my FM game but not sure!

I saw him play for Dundee United before his move to St Johnstone. Basically a tricky forward in the mould of Andy Ansah.
Blimey. I saw him last year playing for St. Johnstone against Airdrie, and thought he was a big bloomin' lump. Reminded me rather of Jason Lee in his, err, prime.

Can't say I'd be dancing in the streets of Galashiels if we did sign him. Scottish League One is basically English League One / Two (eg Kenny Deuchar, who has gone to play for Northampton and seems to be fitting in well).

If we want Championship class players, we shouldn't be looking any lower than the SPL, IMHO.

Matt

Went to see Cobblers play a few weeks ago and in my opinion Deuchar was brilliant on the day, great hold up player. Would be happy if scotland is as good.

Blimey. I saw him last year playing for St. Johnstone against Airdrie, and thought he was a big bloomin' lump. Reminded me rather of Jason Lee in his, err, prime.

Can't say I'd be dancing in the streets of Galashiels if we did sign him. Scottish League One is basically English League One / Two (eg Kenny Deuchar, who has gone to play for Northampton and seems to be fitting in well).

If we want Championship class players, we shouldn't be looking any lower than the SPL, IMHO.

Matt

Spot on there MtS.
I can understand where these rumours have come from, but the times I've seen Jason Scotland play he has been far from impressive. Nothing like the legend that was Andy Ansah either!

OK, he's a Trinidad & Tobago international & was in their World Cup Squad but we should only consider him if we go down!

Wiki entry has the background to his World Cup fame (the song despite it's ABE sentiment was very very funny): -

Jason Scotland wiki page

Matt

Matt he's 5ft 9ins? Are you thinking about the same player. I remember him running Dundee ragged when he came on as sub (he's been injured and there was some problem with his registration IIR) and he loked sharp. Mind you Sutton's brother was also playing and I thought he was rubbish. He's doing quite well now I believe and was touted at one time on SZ. Just goes to show you can't judge on one game. As you might say, if someone not in the know saw one Gordon Connelly against Brighton they'd think he was a world beater. :)

Went to see Cobblers play a few weeks ago and in my opinion Deuchar was brilliant on the day, great hold up player. Would be happy if scotland is as good.

Scotland is in no way as good as Deuchar.
If Dr Ken fancies a crack at full-time Championship (we all hope) football next season, get in there Tilly, Brush & Uncle Ron!

Matt

All that may be true, but you're forgetting the most important point for me. And that is that Tilly must have seen something that makes him think the player is a) good enough and/or b) worth trying to improve.

Or it could be a case of agent thinking ..."player out of contract, who in England have been in the market for Scottish based strikers recently"

2 + 2 = 7,238

agent thinks "i'll link him to Southend, that should get a bit more interest going and earn myself a bit more cash out of the deal"

ps... i don't like agents very much !!!

"Super" J's forum

They seem to think he's signed a pre-contract with Cardiff City, despite interest from Swansea & Aberdeen. We get a solitary mention at the ned as the Daily Star have picked up yesterday's story. Few good posts about the sort of player he is.

Back