• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jay Simpson and Ricky Holmes training with Blues

Physical fitness must be a concern with Ranger (out of the game for a while), Ricky H (a history of injury) and Simpson (aged 32 and out of league football for three seasons or so), and, I do not see it all strange that MM needs their fitness proved to him beyond reasonable doubt. I did not think it at all strange that recent weather could have interrupted the making of these judgements.
That to me seems quite clear and logical. Other matters seem less clear. For instance we were definitively told that the club had not been in contact with Ricky H just a few days before we discovered he was training with us. What was that all about?
Our interest in these players would have been prompted by our desperate situation in trying to stave off relegation. I would think had we lost to both Newport and Cambridge last week the pressure for us to sign either Holmes or Simpson (or both) asap would be almost irresistible. On the other hand, if things have been stalled by the demands of the players the surprise acquisition of four unexpected points last week might cause the club to feel that there is less urgency to 'do something' than there was when we were occupying position 92..
I would love to see Ricky H in a Southend shirt but the idea of offering him a multi year contract does cause me some apprehension. One of the reason we are in trouble is the fallout of during the past five years or so of having signed too many players in decline on multi year contracts.
It is a paradox of all sports that players can often expect to earn most when they are older and their skills are in decline (and often when they are more injury prone). In short, they are being paid for their name and reputation. This reputation is built on their achievements earlier in the career when they were at their physical peak. If your manager has an eye for a player (as I believe MM has) it should be more cost effective to keep the money for the signing of younger players rather using it to sign an ex superstar and then have to watch his decline. And only if and when his injuries allow him to play!
As long as one two or all of them are fit and the cost is not excessive signing them until the end of the season seems to be good idea. Multi year deals? That would concern me.

Hart was out of the game as was maccer and simion accer .BUT MMand the club gambled so why not Holmes and ranger .Not so sure about simpson but short term contracts cant do to much damage .

But doesn't this rely on Ranger, Holmes and Simpson asking for longer term (going into 2021/22) contract lengths? Would RM really be worried about getting burnt on until the end of the season deals? That is if Ranger, Holmes and Simpson would take short term deals.
There's a difference between existing players getting injured long term and those not yet registered. Insurance pay outs can assist where applicable for existing players but I'm unsure on what ges paid for those not fully registered etc

Have wondered what has happened to Kyps, can you enlighten us more on what's happened with him?
[/QUOTE
I cant, because I don't know! But I do know RM got quite fed up with his circumstances when injured and made it known to him. He's played for us since then though then went on loan, but I don't know the latest thoughts on him

Struggle to believe anybody in their right mind would offer any of the 3 Amigos a contract beyond this season
Agree, bit this is sufc we're talking about, ron'll probably out them all on 4 year deals. Ranger tenure.

A little bird tells me that Ricky signed yesterday.

Can't reveal source so don't ask. But watch this space.
I heard similar but was also told he wanted a 2 year deal but we didn’t want to commit to that, so god knows what’s the truth.

I heard similar but was also told he wanted a 2 year deal but we didn’t want to commit to that, so god knows what’s the truth.
I expect either we will have an option or a deal for next year is triggered based on appearances. Both parties want it to happen so be very surprised if it doesn’t.

So from Ron to Echo

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin insists he is willing to back Mark Molesley in the transfer market once again.

Blues have signed 16 players already this season but remain short of attacking options.

And Martin would therefore allow Molesley to add to his squad.
“We have players training with us at the moment who are free agents and if Mark wants to sign them I will back him,” said Martin.
“I will talk to Mark again this week to see what he’s thinking and we will take things from there.”

Blues currently have strikers Jay Simpson and Nile Ranger training with them along with winger Ricky Holmes.

I can't believe he would say this unless he already knew MM was keen to take a couple on. Else it looks like Ron was prepared to bring them in but MM decided to pass and continue with what we have (or haven't got). Pretty sure now we will see a couple of signings before Sat.

It’s all up to you then Mark ?
Ron wouldn't say this unless he knew one or more of them were happening- I suspect a couple are already signed or very close to. Otherwise to an extent its throwing MM under a bus if the goal drought were continue.

I expect to see ranger/holmes in the squad for Saturday. I personally would start ranger ahead of acquah if fit to play.

I expect to see ranger/holmes in the squad for Saturday. I personally would start ranger ahead of acquah if fit to play.

Very much doubt Ranger would be able to play more than 20 minutes. Long way off match fitness... However, a fired up Nile against tiring defenders? Sim did rather well coming off the bench - he could do the same.

(If he signs, of course).

Very much doubt Ranger would be able to play more than 20 minutes. Long way off match fitness... However, a fired up Nile against tiring defenders? Sim did rather well coming off the bench - he could do the same.

(If he signs, of course).
I think ranger has already signed! Suppose you got point in regards to his fitness..... I would like to see sim on the left of 3 instead as the main man up top.

I think ranger has already signed! Suppose you got point in regards to his fitness..... I would like to see sim on the left of 3 instead as the main man up top.
If Emile can duplicate his performance from Saturday, where he 'worked his socks off' and no doubt caused defenders to tire, 15-20 minutes of Nile after that could be very effective.

Back