• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jay Smith, surplus to requirements

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
you play that clueless unbalanced clown Clarke in midfield having persisted with Guttridge out of form for months and now offload the best potential at the club when we are in dire straights as you did with Cole. What chance has he had to adapt to 1st team football, if we had stars all around midfield then yes offload him but with this pile of sh!te you have assembled i am now convinced the crab style routine of our team is down to you. Good luck Jay our present manager don't like people setting up attacking chances and chipping in with a few yourself, get back up the ladder while he is coming down!

The Jay Smith pre Cambridge Utd injury yes, but the injury prone excuse of a professional footballer who cannot dominate reserve league games NO!

Face it, the old Jay, the Canvey Island goalscoring Jay is gone!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Nov. 01 2006,10:25)]The Jay Smith pre Cambridge Utd injury yes, but the injury prone excuse of a professional footballer who cannot dominate reserve league games NO!

Seen the reserve games have we? Passing and vision playing alongside Gutts was different class, scored last week as well. Obviously you come down for the reserve games from Glasgow as you would not comment without seeing him for yourself, surely? Don't go just by Tilsons judgement as we all know the state that's in at the moment!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 01 2006,10:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Nov. 01 2006,10:25)]The Jay Smith pre Cambridge Utd injury yes, but the injury prone excuse of a professional footballer who cannot dominate reserve league games NO!

Seen the reserve games have we? Passing and vision playing alongside Gutts was different class, scored last week as well. Obviously you come down for the reserve games from Glasgow as you would not comment without seeing him for yourself, surely? Don't go just by Tilsons judgement as we all know the state that's in at the moment!
Wiggy,

Why does this have to be a have you seen the reserves game debate. Fact is Glasgow SUFC proably hasnt seen them but I can bet you Tilly has and deems that Jay Smith is not fit for the first team !!!!!!

The side is crying out for a decent midfielder and instead of Jay rising to the challenge he is out manoved for a subs spot by Franck Moussa......??? Does that not tell you something.

Jay Smith is a hero of mine and I would LOVE for him to come  back and show us the class we know he once had. Sadly it is HAD and not HAS.

DtS  
mad.gif

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 01 2006,10:33)]Why does this have to be a have you seen the reserves game debate. Fact is Glasgow SUFC proably hasnt seen them but I can bet you Tilly has and deems that Jay Smith is not fit for the first team !!!!!!

The side is crying out for a decent midfielder and instead of Jay rising to the challenge he is out manoved for a subs spot by Franck Moussa......??? Does that not tell you something.
Yes it does tell me something, Tilson is getting this very wrong

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Nov. 01 2006,10:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 01 2006,10:33)]Why does this have to be a have you seen the reserves game debate. Fact is Glasgow SUFC proably hasnt seen them but I can bet you Tilly has and deems that Jay Smith is not fit for the first team !!!!!!

Rusty mate....

Tilson see's Jay Smith in training, games etc etc every week. Now we are either saying that he knows less than us as fans or you dont trust the man that has taken us up twice in two season's judgment?

A big call in my book.
suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 01 2006,10:31)]
[b said:

If that was indeed the case then why was he shipped out to Notts County?

Don't tell me, it's purely because Tilson just has got it in for Jay and wouldn't play him even if Clarke was one-legged!

You cannot honestly tell me 100% he would single-handedly turn this team around? What we need right now is a no-nonsense ball winner who can maybe create too (somehow I don't think Inter Milan would let us have Vieria) but "little" Jay was never this, even in top pre-injury form!

Oh & as for the reserve game comments, no, maybe due to geography & work, I do not get to see reserve games, but I still do get opinions of people who go who are NOT Steve Tilson!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 01 2006,10:31)]Seen the reserve games have we? Passing and vision playing alongside Gutts was different class, scored last week as well.
Saw the Northampton one and he looked poor first half, better in second but no where near worth playing.

Admittedly that was a while back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Nov. 01 2006,10:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 01 2006,10:31)]Seen the reserve games have we? Passing and vision playing alongside Gutts was different class, scored last week as well.
Saw the Northampton one and he looked poor first half, better in second but no where near worth playing.

Look, he aint exactly pulling up trees but the touch and vision are still there. All i am saying is that with our current predicament of having the two most invisible midfielders in the history of SUFC, surely he should be given a run out, yes or no, it is impossible to do any worse! Tilson in my opinion is a negative dinosaur that relies on a good team spirit and when that wains he is dumbstruck for managerial ideas!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 01 2006,10:38)]Rusty mate....

Tilson see's Jay Smith in training, games etc etc every week. Now we are either saying that he knows less than us as fans or you dont trust the man that has taken us up twice in two season's judgment?

A big call in my book.  
suspect.gif
Who knows why Tilson will not play Jay?. Just as Tilly and co never officially commented on Ricketts, we had to find out from a rival site that Jay had gone to Notts County in the first place and then read that the player is surplus to requirements. The OS is cyclical reporting:

A) Your chance to question....
B) Tickets are available for.....
C) We wuz robbed................
D) The unnamed player chose not to join us...
E) We will have a new stadium....
F) Your chance to question.....
G) Tickets are available for....
H) We wuz robbed......
I) The unnamed player chose not to join us....
J) We will have a new stadium.....

That is not the fault of the lad that writes the OS stuff before anyone bleats! He can only tell us what he is allowed to or privy to. As a fan for decades I accept some details are not for the public domain but also many are and for the thousands of squids I and many of you have chucked their way they could at least realise that the fans have a vested interest and if nothing else it would be courteous to let us know more and preferrably before we read it elsewhere.!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 01 2006,10:55)]
[b said:
[b said:

Look, he aint exactly pulling up trees but the touch and vision are still there. All i am saying is that with our current predicament of having the two most invisible midfielders in the history of SUFC, surely he should be given a run out, yes or no, it is impossible to do any worse! Tilson in my opinion is a negative dinosaur that relies on a good team spirit and when that wains he is dumbstruck for managerial ideas!
Look, Look, Look. I dont actually disagree with you.

I agree its odd that he isnt even getting a chance, and personally would be happy to give him a chance.

Not seeing the whole picture there must be something Tilly sees or thinks that stops him getting a game.

My guess is he wants someone to win the ball and make the midfield more solid hence Clarke. Personally dont think its working and a midfielder who can help us retain the ball more via passing etc would be just as useful. Would be nice to see if Smith is that person.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Nov. 01 2006,11:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 01 2006,10:55)]
[b said:
[b said:

Look, Look, Look. I dont actually disagree with you.

I agree its odd that he isnt even getting a chance, and personally would be happy to give him a chance.

Not seeing the whole picture there must be something Tilly sees or thinks that stops him getting a game.

My guess is he wants someone to win the ball and make the midfield more solid hence Clarke. Personally dont think its working and a midfielder who can help us retain the ball more via passing etc would be just as useful. Would be nice to see if Smith is that person.
Even the Jay Smith, he'll never get back his old form brigade i am sure would like to see him make a start so why not Tilson?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 01 2006,10:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Nov. 01 2006,10:35)]
[b said:

Rusty mate....

A big call in my book.  
suspect.gif
Tilson has done a fantastic job but this season its not working.

Yes i am now questioning he's tactical awareness
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 01 2006,11:13)]Even the Jay Smith, he'll never get back his old form brigade i am sure would like to see him make a start so why not Tilson?
Like I say, Tilson might be looking at it from a different angle. He sees a team that is not defending as a unit and is conceding 3 goals a game. Putting a creative midfielder inwont fix that when putting Clarke in might (although think we know now that doesnt work)

Personally I want to see a midfielder who can pass the ball and keep hold of it. When Mahers passing isnt working as it wasnt last night our whole passing game dies a death.

Getting the midfield stonger defensively is one thing, but theres no point having someone like Clarke there to win the ball if he gives it straight back to them.

Smith may not be defensive enough so fair enough, however if he helps us retain the ball and use it more effectively that could be better than what we have now.

Jay Smith , even a pre injury Jay will not fix the current problem.
He has not got the experience we need.

Tilly does not seem to be the sort of manager to slag he players off in public. We never hear the sort of comments like "I have players here who are just not good enough" etc etc in the media like we do from other players , a quiet "sorry son" and then assistance in finding football elsewhere does seem more like his style. Perhaps that is why player reports on the os are often not there.
(BTW I prefer that style to the public humiliation method a number of managers seem to employ)

I;d put Che in the centre alongside Maher. He can tackle, pass and head the ball. No pace, mind, but never stopped Maher.

Back