• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jay Smith

phil08

I cant belive jay hasnt started a game yet this league suits him down to the ground and we have been playing with 2 defensive midfielders for ages. I f you watch when we attack normally one midfielder should go we have none. Smithy should get a chance!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phil08 @ Sep. 22 2006,17:27)]I cant belive jay hasnt started a game yet this league suits him down to the ground and we have been playing with 2 defensive midfielders for ages.  I f you watch when we attack normally one midfielder should go we have none.  Smithy should get a chance!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif
I like Smithy but everyone that has seen the reserves says he has been well off the pace.

I agree that he was a classy player but if he cant do it in the reserves he isnt a first team player for my mind.

down.gif

I hope he gets hes chance soon, it will be good to see him back at hes best, running at defenders again.

I feel that the best part of Jay's game is his vision and passing which is even better than Gower's. I think his game is too similar to what we have int he team already thoguh and I would be surprised if he made as much of a difference as you think

I'm a big fan of Jay but I think we have to trust Tilly's judgement on this one. Tilly obviously rates him as he'd never have offered Jay a new contract otherwise but he sees Jay every day in training and he obviously doesn't think he's done enough to warrant a start - or even a role as a substitute (where he looked class at times last season) - so far this season.

But if Jay keeps working hard on the training ground and plays better in the reserves, I'm sure he'll get a chance at some stage.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Sep. 22 2006,17:50)]surely Jay will be the next one shipped out on loan?
not so sure because cole has gone on loan. if he hadn't then smith might have. even with loaning out players you still need cover!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 22 2006,17:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (phil08 @ Sep. 22 2006,17:27)]I cant belive jay hasnt started a game yet this league suits him down to the ground and we have been playing with 2 defensive midfielders for ages.  I f you watch when we attack normally one midfielder should go we have none.  Smithy should get a chance!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif
I like Smithy but everyone that has seen the reserves says he has been well off the pace.

I agree that he was a classy player but if he cant do it in the reserves he isnt a first team player for my mind.

down.gif
Pretty much seen most of the home reserve matches and agree he doesnt look upto the pace (sorry Wiggy!). To be fair he hasnt played properly ie. regular league matches for a few years now and is a big step up to when he was playing well for us before. Think a loan out to a 1st or 2nd div team again like he did with Oxford would help him but to be honest doubt he will be seen much in a Southend 1st team shirt again.

I am starting to think hes wasting his career at southend. Its been stop and start at the moment. Hunt Gutts and maher are all in front of him in the pecking order, all defensive minded midfielders as well. I like him as much as anyone, but maybe its time for a new club and challenge.

Maybe its time to get him in the team, someone who can create and attack and actually score goals. I cant see why we have a right back playing centre mid?
rock.gif
?
Oo.gif

Smith was well off the pace today and i'd be more inclined to "Feed the Mouse" and let him have a couple of games although the chances of either of them playing are slim to none ...

He didnt play well against Northampton reserves, he was poor 1st half and better 2nd.

Doesnt seem to be justifying 1st team.

Jay Smith has had plenty of chances in the reserves to impress this season and last but has yet to show me anything (or more important the manager) that he is worth picking. Lets not go on about his goals against Canvey...we've slightly moved up since those days

I actually didn't see anything wrong with Jay's play today that a couple of matches wouldn't sort out. He was moving about the pitch, making tackles and linking play well with the other midfielders and the frontmen.
Then again I also felt that Gutteridge was much restored and back to biting the ankles of any opposition player who had the ball

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andu @ Sep. 26 2006,19:23)]Then again I also felt that Gutteridge was much restored and back to biting the ankles of any opposition player who had the ball
Only when he jumped
biggrin.gif

I've said elsewhere this week that CM is the one weak area of the squad. Gutts was still a pale shadow of his former self today and it's painful to see when you know what he is capable of. The same could be said of Jay Smith though if the pace of all reserve games are like those I witnessed today that's not an ideal vehicle for match fitness.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 26 2006,20:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andu @ Sep. 26 2006,19:23)]Then again I also felt that Gutteridge was much restored and back to biting the ankles of any opposition player who had the ball
Only when he jumped
biggrin.gif

I've said elsewhere this week that CM is the one weak area of the squad. Gutts was still a pale shadow of his former self today and it's painful to see when you know what he is capable of. The same could be said of Jay Smith though if the pace of all reserve games are like those I witnessed today that's not an ideal vehicle for match fitness.
Its hard to judge real form from the reserves because neither team are really playing flat out. The only thing that gave me hope was that we were playing a team from the same league while their manager was watching (Newell was in the directors box at the start of the game), and we managed to look comfortable doing it.

Its true Jay had a quiet first half in the reserves today, but produced the sort of defence splitting passes in the second, that we haven't witnessed coming from the first team centre mid for some time. Sure the pace of the reserve game is different to first team action, but Jay can only work within the confines of the game he's in, and the Luton reserve team were no mugs. It would be actually refreshing to have a midfielder that is connected to the front-runners. Remember, he's not even making the bench, so were is there an option for genuine creativity to come from? Oh, and Hooper is definitely worth a run out on today's performance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ace @ Sep. 27 2006,08:09)]so were is there an option for genuine creativity to come from? Oh, and Hooper is definitely worth a run out on today's performance.
I think you just mentioned the attacking option yourself

Hooper had an excellent game, but a gun has to be loaded before it fires, and that was being done by Gutts and Smithy.

Back