• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Michael Branch!

I remember when he was banging in a couple of goals for Everton! He'll definitely be one to watch.

I think it stands to reason that Jay Smith is quality and deserves recognition for it... I hope he gets into the first eleven soon rather than later!
cool.gif

I would suggest that Lawrie Dudfield or Mark Gower will make more of an impact this year.

Just my opinion though.

Interestingly, with the quality and strength in depth of our squad at the moment, they will all be worth watching at some stage...

Tilson obviously knows what his starting XI will look like come Saturday and those that aren't chosen will need to be on their toes to ensure they get a fair crack of the whip [and thigh length boots!
tounge.gif
] as the season progresses.

If we have fewer injuries and suspensions this season, It'll be a cracker! Does anyone know what Tilson is proposing to do to limit disciplinary problems this year? [fines? walk home on away matches? clean the toilets after home matches?
biggrin.gif
] I seem to remember we had about 70+ yellows and 5-6 reds, which was not good!.

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Technician: Jay Smith
Tilson obviously knows what his starting XI will look like come Saturday

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The General: Team for Saturday
Good to see some competition for places but i dont think Tilly knows what his strongest XI is ...
You gotta love this board.
Vive la difference!

Although the bunch he played alongside at MTBD did look a bit tired!!!
rock.gif
sad.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Aug. 03 2004,11:56)]My one to watch is Bentley.
Help! I’m in danger of agreeing with Napper.

However this depends on the exact question being asked. If the question is what player could make the biggest impact, I’d go Jay Smith – of all our squad, he is the one with that extra class who could be one of the stars of the division. IMHO he has the most potential, but needs to show he can stand up to the rigours of the division.

If the question is who do I expect to be our best player over the course of the season I’d tip Bentley as I think he will be one of our best performers and will have an excellent season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 03 2004,12:35)]Does anyone know what Tilson is proposing to do to limit disciplinary problems this year? [fines? walk home on away matches? clean the toilets after home matches?  
biggrin.gif
] I seem to remember we had about 70+ yellows and 5-6 reds, which was not good!.

cool.gif
Any player who gets done for dissent (Maher!!
mad.gif
) should get done for a week's wages, that'll learn 'em.

Cleaning the toilets would also be suitable
smile.gif

I'm agreeing with ole Hong Kong Phooey here!

Jay Smith has got the goal-scoring ability from midfield that could take us up a flight.

If he stays injury-free, he will have the biggest impact on the team. If he doesn't, then it'll be one of Kevin Maher or Mark Bentley.

Is anyone else relishing the prospect of Bentley, Smith and Maher slugging it out for the two places in the centre of midfield?! Finally, competition for places.

If it brings out the best in Maher (e.g. his performances against Col Ewe in the LDV - the finest performance I've seen from a Southend player since our Div 1 days; he was totally awesome that day), then we'll really be going places this season.

Interesting that the Beeb should pick out those players, though. My two more to watch in midfield:

Thomas Pinault (Grimsby)
Ben Smith (Shrewsbury)

I think either or both will have a big impact on the Div; Pinault is in a better side overall, IMHO (the Shrews look great going forward, but dodgier at the back).

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Any player who gets done for dissent (Maher!! ) should get done for a week's wages, that'll learn 'em

But isn't it Maher's responsibility of being captain to talk to the ref's during the game? And with football being a game of emotions surely Maher is within his right to question a ref's decision, especially some of the ref's we have seen down at the Hall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Aug. 03 2004,21:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Any player who gets done for dissent (Maher!!  ) should get done for a week's wages, that'll learn 'em

But isn't it Maher's responsibility of being captain to talk to the ref's during the game? And with football being a game of emotions surely Maher is within his right to question a ref's decision, especially some of the ref's we have seen down at the Hall.
Not when his decision is final... The only people who have any influence on the referee are the referee's assistants and even then the referee's decision is final.

Even when a player asks the referee to consult with his assistant, he is running the risk of a booking... or worse! I hope we don't go down that route this year.

With the elder statesmen we have at the club, I hope they have a calming influence over the younger players.

Back