• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question JD or GSM

JD or GSM

• Total voters
Third option for me: get a loanee in whilst Gus’ knee recovers.

I noticed Saturday GSM looked out of sorts

I actually think the issue is the right hand side.

Bridge often occupies two defenders. Why aren’t we making more of the space that leaves for others?

Gus seemed a little off the pace Saturday. Is he carrying a knock?

That Sandat shot that flew over the bar was a great chance but yes I’d like us to create more clearcut chances.

I thought Demi was the weak link last night. I’m not knocking his effort but we desperately need a more dynamic player down that side. Bridge and Fonguck suck in defenders down our left leaving loads of space on the right but Demi just didn’t have the pace to exploit it. We need someone who can knock it either half a yard or ten yards past the defender and go because there was acres of space out on that side. Sadly Demi just doesn’t have the legs any more so he either cuts back or the defender recovers. It’s reminiscent of our struggles under Brown and early Maher when we were so slow down our right side. That’s not all on Demi - Crowther looks slower than Taylor, Waldron whilst not a slouch is slower than Powell and midfield seemed more pedestrian - but he’s the slowest out there and is replacing a usually dynamic player in Gus. On one occasion his lack of pace helped us - he was so slow to a through ball the defender eased up which allowed Cardwell to overtake them all.

Plus defensively I think it was Demi who gave away the freekick they scored from as well.

He can fill in a one-off basis but if Gus is out for more than that it is imperative that we get a more mobile replacement in that can run onto some of those passes that were going his way and with more short area quickness.

Someone with some pace down that flank like Jayden Richardson - who we were after on loan 2 years ago - would transform this team. Sadly he’s on loan at the farmers.

From memory watching the game I don't think it was jd that gave the free kick away. Others can probably clarify, but thought it was husin!
if there was a weak link, id have gone for wes, who seemed a bit positionally lost at times.
I though jd put in some great early balls with both feet which gus rarely can do. Thought his positioning easily dealt with any potential pace issues (didn't see any).
i like gus for his desire and enthusiasm but his first touch isn't in the same league as jd, and this gives him time to pass and move more efficiently.
Gus for the future for sure, but for now I feel the team benefits with jd still able to easily do the roll.

Last edited:
From memory watching the game I don't think it was jd that gave the free kick away. Others can probably clarify, but thought it was husin!
if there was a weak link, id have gone for wes, who seemed a bit positionally lost at times.
I though jd put in some great early balls with both feet which gus rarely can do. Thought his positioning easily dealt with any potential pace issues (didn't see any).
i like gus for his desire and enthusiasm but his first touch isn't in the same league as jd, and this gives him time to pass and move more efficiently.
Gus for the future for sure, but for now I feel the team benefits with jd still able to easily do the roll.
Wes didn't seem balanced for some reason. Kept losing his footing

So i think this is a classic example of Kev having a bit more flexibility in his selections and formations , for me we need some experience in away games where we may end up soaking up pressure and ball retention is key .
GSM has bags of energy as stated but there will be games when Kev may have to look at the opposition, the conditions , the formation and their threat on the left side and go with JD over GSM

both are cracking players in their own right but a big game like last night was made for JD and by the sounds of it made a huge contribution to us winning the game

Good points I think. Gus certainly a better attacking threat heading at goal and more match fit currently but both as you say bring stuff in their own right.
Historically it appears kev only makes changes as a necessity rather than employing flexible tactics from the start so would probably stick money on JD starting the next game and waiting until an enforced change brings his back. He's got a tough call on Ralph starting. We did better when he was long term injured and won last night but he's so good in the air at the back and going forward into the box, but that's probably for a different thread !

The most sensible thing is to bring a loanee in to cover Gus, if he is ruled out for a while. We are already short of Harry Taylor, JD can cover either position, but with the number of games we have to play in such a short space of time, it is asking too much of even JD.

Good points I think. Gus certainly a better attacking threat heading at goal and more match fit currently but both as you say bring stuff in their own right.
Historically it appears kev only makes changes as a necessity rather than employing flexible tactics from the start so would probably stick money on JD starting the next game and waiting until an enforced change brings his back. He's got a tough call on Ralph starting. We did better when he was long term injured and won last night but he's so good in the air at the back and going forward into the box, but that's probably for a different thread !
Ralph has to play, he is too good to leave out.

Back