• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeff King

The Elements Armband

Loads of Rumours going round at the moment that Jeff today has pulled his money out of Canvey FC.

They'll have until the end of the season to sort something out otherwise they may well be back where they belong in the Essex Senior League.

A few clubs have been mentioned as to where Jeff and his money may end up. chelmsford, braintree and southend have all been mentioned

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Elements Armband @ April 09 2006,20:41)]Loads of Rumours going round at the moment that Jeff today has pulled his money out of Canvey FC.

They'll have until the end of the season to sort something out otherwise they may well  be back where they belong in the Essex Senior League.

A few clubs have been mentioned as to where Jeff and his money may end up. chelmsford, braintree and southend have all been mentioned
Southend ? Does that mean he could be the next manager after Tilly gets the England job ?

Personally I think Chelmsford is a more realistic suggestion. Or even Braintree, as he is good friends with Borg.

check this out

Marsh rats forum

gotta laugh, one of my workmates has a huge Canvey tatoo on his leg, sounds like it might need erasing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (silentshrimper @ April 09 2006,21:02)]Funny chelmsford dont have a big club
Dukes is quite big.
tounge.gif

Way back when in the early 70's Chelmsford were a quality non-league side. The year Hereford were elected in to the league for the 1973/4 season (?) they actually finished second in the Southern Premier League (in those days there was no Conference - just a Southern and Northern Premier League). Who won the Southern Premier League? Chelmsford City. However, Hereford had made all the headlines that season by beating Newcastle in the FA Cup third round, and taking West Ham to a replay in the fourth round. Therefore, they received more votes in the election/re-election process than Chelmsford, and resultantly replaced Barrow in the Football League.

Damn king still on the circuit then, guy is scumbag imo some of the stuff that has gone on
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ April 09 2006,21:04)]check this out

Marsh rats forum

gotta laugh, one of my workmates has a huge Canvey tatoo on his leg, sounds like it might need erasing!
I think I might have met him on Saturday, believe it or not.

I live in Watford and stopped at the Hatfield services on the M25 on my way home from our game and there were a coachload of Canvey fans there. He saw my Southend shirt as I walked into the gents and asked me how we'd got on. At the time I didn't realise he was a Canvey fan as I didn't recognise his shirt so I asked him who he supported. He told me and lifted up his trouser leg to reveal a Canvey tattoo.

Assuming that's the same guy he seemed OK, bit of a character I guess.
biggrin.gif

I really don't hate Canvey and wouldn't wish for any club to go under. However it is just Jeff King's money that has lifted them to a false position and if without that cash they drop to their true level (lower levels of the Ryman?) then is that such a bad thing?

As much as I will and have taken the pi$$ out of Canvey I wouldn't want to see any club go under, MK Dons excepted. In fact I think it would be a very sad day if Canvey went under with or without Jeffs money.
Jeff's a chairman/director who will big up his club and we can laugh at the times he's put his foot in it with some strange comments and lofty ambitions.
I met him in the local vets once, he's a decent bloke who loves his football, like the rest of us, and how many of us, giving his wealth would plough so much time and money into a local football club, where the locals rarely visited?

It wasn't that long ago on cold winters night, midweek game, bareley 2000 versus Rochdale or someone and Canvey were snapping at our heels, Delancey could have pulled the miniscule funding and where would we be? I don't want to be like the west ham fans looking at Southend and sneering at our lofty ambitions or snippets of glory wondering why we don't support "a proper team like west ham", so, with that in mind and as much as they are our rivals I wish Canvey the best and I have to acknowledge and praise the supporters they have for following them through thick and thin.
Real football supporters, grass roots level.

I'm sure Tilson would be devastated if Canvey went into freefall or went under?

Whilst they may not be my favourite club, I would not like to see them go under. Without Canvey Tilly may have gone farther afield and IIRC they were very accomodating when we wanted him back as coach.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ April 10 2006,07:02)]Another thought, if King pulls out of Canvey will that raise the island above sea level now?
rock.gif
Only if I get off at the same time, cue a huge sigh of relief on the Island.

Really I can only echo what Artful Shrimper & Firestorm have said, with the possible exception of MK Dons nobody wants to see a club go under.

spoke to my Canvey supporting mate this morning,

he confirmed Jeff King definately pulling out at the end of this season and then after that the newly born supporters trust will be running the club. They will be restarting from scratch in the Essex Senior League for next season

It's all a bit sad - seems they just don't have the support to survive in the Conference. I don't want them to go under, but maybe they'll be better off in the Conference South or Ryman Premier, where crowd levels are similar to what Canvey get at the moment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ April 10 2006,10:27)]It's all a bit sad - seems they just don't have the support to survive in the Conference. I don't want them to go under, but maybe they'll be better off in the Conference South or Ryman Premier, where crowd levels are similar to what Canvey get at the moment.
The point is that Canvey can progress no further than the conference, firstly without a new ground and secondly while they are part time. And that will cost a lot of money and it appears from the earlier posts this money will not be forthcoming from the King family.

I think Canvey have come a long way in quite a short time , mainly due to the King's investment. Imagine what the balance sheet would look like without that investment. Rumour has it the players are on good dough (alledgedly some more than SUFC) and it is a commercial disaster to carry on just pumping money into such a loss-making venture , hobby or not.
I can see them going backwards from now on , lesser money - lesser players , watch the other Conference clubs gather like vultures picking the bones.

Back