• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think the issue with this kind of statement is not that there is any chance it will actually happen (it plainly won’t - whether Labour wanted it to or not). It’s more what it says about the mindset of the hard left militant unionists who believe it is acceptable to to, in effect, stage a coup against a democratically elected government just so they can get into power. It’s an approach you might justifiably use where a revolution is needed to remove a tyrant - like in Venezuela - but it is abhorrent in a democracy. This is a window into the mindset of members of Parliament in HM Opposition. If anything remotely similar had been said by the Conservatives when Labour was in government - I.e. using force to try to ‘bring down’ a government - there would, justifiably, have been a huge outcry from Labour, the Graun etc. Probably with lots of nasty sweeping accusations of nazism, racism, imperialism you name it.

Please. It's like tarring all Tories as sexist xenophobes due to the actions of the former Home Secretary. Every party has it's outspoken elements, but tarring an entire party due to the actions of one MP (who most of us have never heard of) is laughable.

And your point is?

Comparing Catalonia's and the effects of a general strike on that region and the effects of a general strike on the UK is like comparing a Phaal and a Korma.

I assume that's what you were alluding to.

It's a more recent precedent than the 1926 General strike in the UK.It didn't stop me going to work,either.

It's a more recent precedent than the 1926 General strike in the UK.It didn't stop me going to work,either.

I asked what your point was. Time frame is irrelevant. How do the consequences of a general strike in a region of Spain with a population of 7.5 million and a GDP of 223M Euros compare to the consequences of a general strike here in the UK with a population of 66 million and a GDP of 1.7 trillion Euros (estimate) The two aren't comparable.

I asked what your point was. Time frame is irrelevant. How do the consequences of a general strike in a region of Spain with a population of 7.5 million and a GDP of 223M Euros compare to the consequences of a general strike here in the UK with a population of 66 million and a GDP of 1.7 trillion Euros (estimate) The two aren't comparable.

Actually, you're way off with your figures.The population of Catalonia is now officially over 9 million.Dunno about the current GDP.

In any case, we both know that calling a General Strike is not official front bench, Shadow Cabinet Labour policy and as such will never happen.

My point, (as I made clear) in my previous post, was that last year's general strike here didn't actually prevent me (or lots of others ) from going to work.

Please. It's like tarring all Tories as sexist xenophobes due to the actions of the former Home Secretary. Every party has it's outspoken elements, but tarring an entire party due to the actions of one MP (who most of us have never heard of) is laughable.

I’m not sure whether you noticed the standing ovation the suggestion got MK? ‘Not helpful’ (Tom Watson) seems to be an understatement when Labour under Corbyn/Momentum are trying to convince people they would be a responsible, sensible government.

If there s a GE in the near future I think it may be the lowest turnout in living memory. With parliament doing it's utmost to betray the referendum result and Labour and Tory parties going back on their brexit manifesto promises,
a large percentage of the population have lost faith in those parties. The only reason I would vote would be to keep Labour out as I think their economic policies will bring the country to it's knees.
It's a pity UKIP self destructed, as at least they offered an alternative, or should I day they they were more like a true conservative party.

Multi-national tax dodgers like Amazon/Google/Apple etc etc?

If he did, that would be a paragraph of his manifesto I would wholeheartedly support. However the fact the this goal has eluded the best brains non-US governments can find over the past decade doesn’t dim anyone’s faith in John McDonnell?

I want to know where the money is going to come from for what Labour are proposing.

Borrow it, of course. McDonnell was espousing in November '17 that this was the way to go with interest rates being as low as they were. He claimed that they - Labour - “.....puts more people back into work. They pay their taxes and as a result of that you are able to cover your cost. Simple as that."

Yes, as simple as that. If only every other Chancellor had thought of that - of any party - all, or most, of the U.K.'s debt problems would be solved in one fell swoop (well, over a number of years, I suppose). Maybe the threat of fluctuating interest rates deterred them, who knows ?

Still, couldn't be any worse an idea than the gold sell-off back '99 when prices were at their lowest in twenty years :Facepalm:

Multi-national tax dodgers like Amazon/Google/Apple etc etc?

Will never ever happen no matter what government is in power. You talk about Brexit encouraging an exodus of firms to the continent. Can you imagine what would happen if a government in power went after the multinational billion pound tax dodging companies trading here in the UK. Besides which they aren't breaking any laws and no government would ever be able to pass a bill to make what they do illegal. That horse has well and truly bolted. Me thinks you underestimate the lobbying power and influence corporate entities have over the UK political system.

Will never ever happen no matter what government is in power. You talk about Brexit encouraging an exodus of firms to the continent. Can you imagine what would happen if a government in power went after the multinational billion pound tax dodging companies trading here in the UK. Besides which they aren't breaking any laws and no government would ever be able to pass a bill to make what they do illegal. That horse has well and truly bolted. Me thinks you underestimate the lobbying power and influence corporate entities have over the UK political system.

And I think you underestimate Labour's determination to tackle the problem of tax dodging by predatory companies like Amazon, Google,Apple etc.

Actually, you're way off with your figures.The population of Catalonia is now officially over 9 million.Dunno about the current GDP.

In any case, we both know that calling a General Strike is not official front bench, Shadow Cabinet Labour policy and as such will never happen.

My point, (as I made clear) in my previous post, was that last year's general strike here didn't actually prevent me (or lots of others ) from going to work.

And your point is irrelevant and meaningless for the very reasons I gave in my previous post.

And your point is irrelevant and meaningless for the very reasons I gave in my previous post.

Having checked, it would appear you're right after all about Catalonia's current population.It is 7.5 million after all.Sorry.

Reminds me of a rather good joke from back in the day, when the population was around 6 million.Jordi Pujol (the now disgraced ex-President) went to China (this was back in the 80's/early 90's) on a trade mission.He said proudly to the Chinese PM. "We're 6 million" To which the Chinese leader replied."Oh yes.Which hotel are you staying at?" :Winking:

Last edited:
Back