• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

With Dan Jarvis ruling himself out I would suggest the fight would be a three way affair with Burnham, Umunna and Cooper going for the top job. The dark lord himself seemed to be comfortable sitting on Marr's couch yesterday with Umunna but he is still under 40 so I think he will be seen as just too young.
I don't think Andy Burnham would be popular with the voters and surely to god the labour party aren't going to elect someone called Tristam to be leader? Lammy and Creasy for me are destined for top jobs in the shadow cabinet so that leaves Yvette Cooper.
She would be popular and a good choice - Dan Jarvis would have been a rereshing change as well but even more refreshing to hear that he is putting his family first and won't be running.
I was going to run a LibDem leader thread but then thought, Who gives a F***?

Interestingly, the bookies have not given up on Miliband Major making a late bid.

Interestingly, the bookies have not given up on Miliband Major making a late bid.

He's generally around 20/1. So not totally given up, but that is implying his chances are less than 5%.

Umunna looks a live runner of course - and it would be good to see a major UK-wide party not lead by a white male for once - but there is something about him, maybe a certain metropolitan haughtiness, that might not chime with enough of the electorate. I've seen it written of him that he is a 'human man bag', which about sums it up.

Substance should always come before style of course - so let's listen to what he has to say in the coming weeks and months.

He's generally around 20/1. So not totally given up, but that is implying his chances are less than 5%.

Umunna looks a live runner of course - and it would be good to see a major UK-wide party not lead by a white male for once - but there is something about him, maybe a certain metropolitan haughtiness, that might not chime with enough of the electorate. I've seen it written of him that he is a 'human man bag', which about sums it up.

Substance should always come before style of course - so let's listen to what he has to say in the coming weeks and months.

Well, the ink is hardly drying on Millibands resignation letter and he's been carving up the previous leaders policies.

Chuka/Flint would be very Blue Labour. Wouldn't at all surprise me if they get the nod.

Flint's in the good books as well as having trebled her majority in Don Valley. A notable result given the travails of some other senior Labour figures.

Had 10 minutes on the phone with Flint in the build-up to the election to discuss Labour's green energy pledges and she came across as a genuinely good egg. Matt Hancock, on the other hand, was your quintessential slippery, snidey, career politician Osborne Minion, and he's just about to get the Chief Sec to the Treasury gig.

Shame Dan Jarvis has ruled himself out though, for completely acceptable reasons. Perhaps in another 10 years or so, with a decent amount of time as a shadow minister to refine his politics/edge.

David Lammy's ruled himself out of the leadership race to run for Mayor.

Which will also be an interesting race. Labour regained a lot of ground in London in the GE, I'd assume whoever runs on the red ticket will get in. But there are plenty in the running...

The suggested chaps and chappesses so far appear to be:

Andy Burnham; Chuka Umunna; Yvette Cooper; Dan Jarvis; Tristram Hunt; Liz Kendall; Rachel Reeves; Stella Creasy & David Lammy.

As Labour now has 232 MPs, this means prospective candidates must get at least 34 signatures. That means the maximum size of any field is six contenders, so obviously that can't won't all be at the races, although they could stand for deputy leader.

Although some of the boys in that list could be seen as favourites, I would not be surprised if the eventual winner is female.

I read that as Rachel Stevens!

Which will also be an interesting race. Labour regained a lot of ground in London in the GE, I'd assume whoever runs on the red ticket will get in. But there are plenty in the running...

Sadiq Khan another one to throw his hat into the ring this afternoon. Two fairly strong candidates there for starters.

Sadiq Khan another one to throw his hat into the ring this afternoon. Two fairly strong candidates there for starters.

I know we are moving off topic a bit here, but much like my earlier post on the Labour leader, it would be preferable if London's next mayor wasn't a white male.

David Lammy's ruled himself out of the leadership race to run for Mayor.

Interesting. He was pushing quite hard for that.

Liz Kendall seems to be making a good impression on people.

She's also less tainted than most of the others (ie people haven't heard of her).

Any likelihood that Lamy fancies his chances to replace Boris as mayor?

Interesting. He was pushing quite hard for that.

Liz Kendall seems to be making a good impression on people.

She's also less tainted than most of the others (ie people haven't heard of her).

She went to a Grammar school for girls, and is married to Mr Gilbert from the inbetweeners.

Hope that helps.

Chuka/Flint would be very Blue Labour. Wouldn't at all surprise me if they get the nod.

Now Sadiq has put his name in the frame then surely the dream ticket would be:

Chuka/Khan

What do you think?, could even make a record if it didn't work out.

(Yeah I know, pathetic.)

Back