• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In a week that 8 MPs leave the party over his leadership and other major issues associated with his personal beliefs you ask what baggage he has in 2019 that he didn't in 2017? Seriously? ?
I only can have 1 vote and I won't vote for JC, nor will I vote Tory so I can't give an answer to the "what is it" question.
you are reacting to news that is 2 days old, most of those MPs were subject to votes of no confidence by their local parties so have jumped before being pushed. They have now been joined by 3 Tories, one of which was defending austerity at her leavers speech. I'm predicting that once this settles it will not have a big impact and they will take a few votes (but not a significant amount) off Labour, Tories and LibDems.

You are in the same situation as me - can't think of any reason why floating voters would go to the Tories, so if the situation is the same for Labour that nets off so won't be their downfall.

renationalisation is very popular with the public though so for that reason it seems mainstream.

In terms of the cost it's buying an asset. If those industries are paying dividends to shareholders they are making a profit and that can go into public coffers.

Rail franchises will be allowed to end and not renewed, so no compensation needs to be paid.

Anyone who uses Southern Rail or Northern Rail or East Coast won't be scared of stories of BR not being great as they have seen services in recent years as bad as it's possible to get.

In terms of unions - all of those industries are unionised whether in public or private hands.

Some people would claim it's buying a headache. :Smile: I'm not, per se, disfavourable to renationalisation but, for me, it would have to be done on a purely pragmatic consideration for each case. It would have to be assessed both socially and economically to see whether it's likely to be viable and beneficial. The fear I have with Labour is that it would be done as political dogma rather than based on practical or economic good sense

Ha! I saw that you could read one article free. Anyway, hasn't Corbyn insisted we need to abide by the referendum result, hence the presenation of his prefered ideas for Brexit, submitted to May.
I must have used my freebie up at some other point.
Labour accepts the referendum result but with numerous add ons that I've quoted 100 times. They aren't pro-Brexit, just dealing with the situation as it is.

renationalisation is very popular with the public though so for that reason it seems mainstream.

In terms of the cost it's buying an asset. If those industries are paying dividends to shareholders they are making a profit and that can go into public coffers.

Rail franchises will be allowed to end and not renewed, so no compensation needs to be paid.

Anyone who uses Southern Rail or Northern Rail or East Coast won't be scared of stories of BR not being great as they have seen services in recent years as bad as it's possible to get.

In terms of unions - all of those industries are unionised whether in public or private hands.
True but the cost of the asset will be far more than one year's profits so the is an upfront cost. The rail unions have been in conflict with the management over driver only trains, which is currenty regional. With a nationalised railway it would be a national strike affecting the whole country

True but the cost of the asset will be far more than one year's profits so the is an upfront cost. The rail unions have been in conflict with the management over driver only trains, which is currenty regional. With a nationalised railway it would be a national strike affecting the whole country

The outlay will be more than one year's profit sure, but it's an investment. Capital investment.

Currently we pay money to the private companies for no return. We as tax payers even pay compensation to passengers for delays on private rail companies because of the bizarre structure of these deals and we have even paid over hundreds of thousands to companies who have had unsuccessful bids. With nationalisation we stop throwing massive amounts of money into the system with no say on the running of these companies and no cut of the profits.

If you have a national rail system it is still likely to be classed in regional sections. On the tube strikes have massively reduced since Boris Johnson is no longer Mayor and those that have happened are often on one line because the set up is line by line even though it's all TFL. Victoria Line drivers don't want to lose a days pay over a dispute on the Northern Line.

Ins

The railways don't make a profit. They are subsidised by about £2b per year.

To nationalise them would cost about £300b, Its not just another Corbyn promise he cant keep its from the Abbott school of economics.

The Derek Hatton situation is hilarious, you couldn't make it up! George, that letter you sent a couple of days ago, asking for re-admission.................I wouldn't hold your breath! :Smile:
I would expect this kind of continuing chaos with a Corbyn administration.
Yet, I was speaking to a, generally right-wing friend, this morning and I have to say (contrary to everything I've been saying over the past weeks :Smile:) his idea that Britain could actually do with a dose of Corbynism, struck a chord. Even he was disgusted by the inequalities created in UK society.......................perhaps I've been away too long to understand the need for really radical change?

The outlay will be more than one year's profit sure, but it's an investment. Capital investment.

Currently we pay money to the private companies for no return. We as tax payers even pay compensation to passengers for delays on private rail companies because of the bizarre structure of these deals and we have even paid over hundreds of thousands to companies who have had unsuccessful bids. With nationalisation we stop throwing massive amounts of money into the system with no say on the running of these companies and no cut of the profits.

If you have a national rail system it is still likely to be classed in regional sections. On the tube strikes have massively reduced since Boris Johnson is no longer Mayor and those that have happened are often on one line because the set up is line by line even though it's all TFL. Victoria Line drivers don't want to lose a days pay over a dispute on the Northern Line.

http://www.cityam.com/268549/sadiq-khan-slammed-shocking-strikes-record-ahead-central

Are you saying that certain people should be banned from joining an organisation simply because they allegedly support a cause of which you disapprove?

So hypothetically, if Nigel Farage wanted to join the Labour Party, you’d have no issue with that?

I don't think Hatton's case is relevant, he will probably be reinstated as his tweet was a pretty innocuous comment about Israel's treatment of the Palestinians and I believe we are still allowed to criticise Israel's actions without being found guilty of antisemitism. In any case, Hatton is not likely to be apponited to the House of Lords and made a shadow cabinet minister any time soon. You'll have to do better than that.

A week or so ago, you accused @Bielzibubz of “Europhobia”, because he criticised several European Country’s actions.

You can’t have one rule for one & one for the far-left.

Ins

The railways don't make a profit. They are subsidised by about £2b per year.

To nationalise them would cost about £300b, Its not just another Corbyn promise he cant keep its from the Abbott school of economics.

I hear that place is expensive. Some courses can cost upto eleventy thousand pounds.

A Labour report into antisematism was handed into the CPS 5 months ago and is now being investigated by the Met Police. Unlike several people on here, Margrate Hodge thinks there is something to see.

Back