• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy Burnham might do well to withdraw his intension to stand for the leadership until he learns to cross the road. Nearly had the twonk at Millbank yesterday afternoon.

The same Andy Burnham who rejected a public enquiry into the Staffordshire hospital fiasco, and probably helped cover up lots of other failing hospitals. Yet apparently its the Tories who are killing the NHS.

Realistically, I'd've thought that both Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper carry too much pre-2010 baggage to be serious challengers for the leadership.

That would appear to leave the field clear for Chuka Amunna.

Realistically, I'd've thought that both Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper carry too much pre-2010 baggage to be serious challengers for the leadership.

That would appear to leave the field clear for Chuka Amunna.

What's your opinion of him? Seems young and charismatic which could prove beneficial to the party.

What's your opinion of him? Seems young and charismatic which could prove beneficial to the party.

I've been impressed whenever I've seen him on the box.

He's certainly bright,pro-business and has made all the right noises about it being possible to turn Labour's defeat around by 2020.

Also, he'll only be 41 by the time of the next election.The parallels with Cameron are fairly obvious.

As for Liz Kendall,while she comes across as personable enough,frankly I'd be suprised if she got the requisite number of PLP votes (35)to allow her nomination to go forward.

Which is probably why Tristram Hunt's been reluctant to throw his hat in the ring (so far).

I've been impressed whenever I've seen him on the box.

He's certainly bright,pro-business and has made all the right noises about it being possible to turn Labour's defeat around by 2020.

Also, he'll only be 41 by the time of the next election.The parallels with Cameron are fairly obvious.

Yep. Pretty much as I see it. The country always benefits from a strong opposition and he seems to have a bit of sense about him. My first impression of him has been positive.

At the moment, I'd say a Umunna/Flint ticket would give Labour the strongest chance of winning, or at least significantly denting the Conservative's lead at, the next election. Obviously a lot can happen between now and August, but they certainly seem to fit the current idea of a panacea of being more centrist than Miliband and appealing to the working middle class. My one concern about Umunna is a slight lack of substance, but four years of work will refine those edges. If he can get Dan Jarvis a senior role in the shadow cabinet, then Labour's beginning to look strong and combative again.

At the moment, I'd say a Umunna/Flint ticket would give Labour the strongest chance of winning, or at least significantly denting the Conservative's lead at, the next election. Obviously a lot can happen between now and August, but they certainly seem to fit the current idea of a panacea of being more centrist than Miliband and appealing to the working middle class. My one concern about Umunna is a slight lack of substance, but four years of work will refine those edges. If he can get Dan Jarvis a senior role in the shadow cabinet, then Labour's beginning to look strong and combative again.

One week since the election and you are already talking about trying to win the next? So nothing about holding the government to account or asking some serious questions about why the message punted by Labour failed so dismally? All that's on your mind is winning the next election?

One week since the election and you are already talking about trying to win the next? So nothing about holding the government to account or asking some serious questions about why the message punted by Labour failed so dismally? All that's on your mind is winning the next election?

There will be an inquest over the summer and a change of direction.

SBH is right:- "The country always benefits from a strong opposition."

I also make ESB right, (not often I've said that), that Umunna/Flint would be the dream ticket.

There will be an inquest over the summer and a change of direction.

SBH is right:- "The country always benefits from a strong opposition."

I also make ESB right, (not often I've said that), that Umunna/Flint would be the dream ticket.

Yeah, but another point you continue to miss is, I couldn't give two ****s what you think. I'm sick to the back teeth of your selectiveness so forthwith you will receive the contempt you deserve. Enjoy.

I thought that was fairly clear in my post. Umunna/Flint would be very much the 'Blue Labour' movement that many (myself included) think would've fared much better as a message at this election than Miliband's, and one that ultimately Labour should move to if they're to deliver on the needs of the country at this moment in time. That ticket would deliver a change on the message that failed during this election, while bringing in Jarvis would serve as something of succession plan as I definitely see him as future leader material. The Tories, by all accounts, are scared ****less of Jarvis.

Yeah, but another point you continue to miss is, I couldn't give two ****s what you think. I'm sick to the back teeth of your selectiveness so forthwith you will receive the contempt you deserve. Enjoy.

It's interesting that you're quite happy to sound off about Labour's leadership contest but have nothing to say about UKIP's own manifest problems, on a day that its leader has been heavily criticised in a Times article (by a fellow UKIP MEP) and UKIP's two most prominent advisers have bitten the dust.

(Rather obvious) diversionary tactics perhaps?

Last edited:
Back