• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
I am currently off work having had a knee op and to pass the hours of mind numbing boredem I have watched the Blues 03/04 DVD.

Few things struck me such as Connies goals really did keep us up, the defence was shocking and Gower should shoot everytime he gets the ball...However.....

Watching the DVD it amazed me how well Jim Corbett did last season in the few games he actually played in. I know the DVD dosent give a true impression but from what you see and as I didnt miss a home game last season from memory the bloke was quality.

At this time when we need a bit of strength in depth its a shame that Jim cant seem to lose the 8-10 stone that is needed for him to be an average weight again and hence play pro football again.

8-10 stone?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
??? he aint that big!

To be honest being a second year sports science student I have the ability and know how to make a decent exercise and diet program to get in top physical shape so im assuming someone at Southend also has that know how, therefore if Jim Corbett can't get fit and in the team it is his own fault and his own problem. Unfortunately he is probably one of the most talented players in the squad but his attitude obviously stinks.

I thought Corbett looked ok in pre-season, but maybe he's not one of Tilly's favourites.

Actually Corbett's attitude doesn't stink, he was fit enough to be on the bench against Wycombe and he was more than happy to get in the squad, and is fighting to get back in contention.

Also, didn't he have a viral injury that kept him out, as opposed to just lack of fitness? I wish we were slightly better informed on the matter though. Would be nice. Every match preview mentions Jay Smith is a long term absentee and includes medium to short term injuries but never has anything about Corbett. Bizarre.

Sadly, at the moment, the only retained memory of Corbett I'll have in future years is going to be the winning pen at Col U.

Thing is with Corbett, he hasn't played for so long that even if he is fit, he's going to lack match fitness, so will at most be a sub. To get first team football, there are going to have to be more injuries because at the moment I can't see a place for him in the team.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 12 2005,09:06)]I thought Corbett looked ok in pre-season, but maybe he's not one of Tilly's favourites.
Maybe Corbett and Bramble should go into the rag & bone trade.

dave the shrimper Just read your thread. Im also off work had a knee op on Monday so cant go the match tonight. Did think about it but worried about getting a knock on the knee and stitches bursting but gutted cant be there. As to Corbett soneone saw him the other week and thought he had swallowed a sofa. We just call him five bellies. He remonds me pf a certain Mr Byrne who was winger a few years ago at southend

Fat Man Dancing - Hope the knee is well mate. I had a lift both ways if I could get to Southend but didnt fancy doing my knee in either...

Think Jim is a good player but he is desined to be another could have been.

Back