• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Joe Gubbins has joined SUFC on loan until the end of the season

I think CP said something like, his contact at the club says no truth in the rumour. He didn’t say it’s a definite no. His tweet was a defensive one in that he knows sometimes things change.

There is a continued dislike towards the echo or CP from pockets on here, which I find distasteful tbh. Chris seems like a good guy with problems similar to most of us, maybe worse than some lucky people. I don’t get why people want to see him get tripped up.

The echo is a business which pays people salaries. I doubt it make millions. But people find it ok to copy the stories and paste them on here so that people don’t have to suffer the annoying adverts that pay those salaries. But there have been times when similar has been done to a casual supporters blog and posters were outraged about the theft!

At the end of the day, the echo is a business which employs some local people and delivers some journalism to a local community who otherwise wouldn’t get that info. Chris is one of the journalists who is a mad Southend fan doing his best with the information he is given. He is clear when it is news from a source, in other words, may be rubbish.
At the end of the day, Chris Phillips is the best things happened to Echo, if he ever get poached by The Sun, Mirror etc it’s be an massive loss for Echo. Without Southend Utd, plus rumours of new stadium plan, Echo have nothing to report and not worth reading!

When it's about rumours yes it is ok to "lie" occasionally (if you can even call it that, it sounds like from Stan that it may have been the truth at that point), "never lie" is something we tell small children because they don't have the nuance to understand the difference between a white lie and a serious one. Hell even with children we lie to them every Christmas.

Lying when it harms someone is bad, "lying" to keep something under wraps until it's official isn't. I don't know why people are having a go at CP for reporting what he was told but I also don't see what the club did wrong here.
Sorry, have I reached Russia Today, by mistake?
It's OK to 'lie' occasionally? Forget whether CP was told a falsehood or not; you're saying it's OK to lie?
A lie is a lie whether it's white, grey, or pink with sky-blue spots that light up at night!

I think CP said something like, his contact at the club says no truth in the rumour. He didn’t say it’s a definite no. His tweet was a defensive one in that he knows sometimes things change.

There is a continued dislike towards the echo or CP from pockets on here, which I find distasteful tbh. Chris seems like a good guy with problems similar to most of us, maybe worse than some lucky people. I don’t get why people want to see him get tripped up.

The echo is a business which pays people salaries. I doubt it make millions. But people find it ok to copy the stories and paste them on here so that people don’t have to suffer the annoying adverts that pay those salaries. But there have been times when similar has been done to a casual supporters blog and posters were outraged about the theft!

At the end of the day, the echo is a business which employs some local people and delivers some journalism to a local community who otherwise wouldn’t get that info. Chris is one of the journalists who is a mad Southend fan doing his best with the information he is given. He is clear when it is news from a source, in other words, may be rubbish.
Never a truer word, except there are some sources more reliable than others.
There are some, or maybe not, that appear rock solid!

Sorry, have I reached Russia Today, by mistake?
It's OK to 'lie' occasionally? Forget whether CP was told a falsehood or not; you're saying it's OK to lie?
A lie is a lie whether it's white, grey, or pink with sky-blue spots that light up at night!
If you seriously think all lies are equal to each other I don't know what to say, to say it's comparable to Russian propaganda is ridiculous.

If you seriously think all lies are equal to each other I don't know what to say, to say it's comparable to Russian propaganda is ridiculous.
Are all lies equal to each other? Of course, they are - by definition. Do you have a word for nearly-a-lie. Please don't offer 'white'.
Do some lies have more serious consequences when told or found out. Yes, again!
The RT reference was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but you got that, didn't you?

At which point I remind everyone that this is about Joe Gubbins signing. So lets ease up completely on al the other off topic stuff now occurring. Many thanks all.
Quite right, point taken. I had almost forgotten about him.

To try and get this back in topic can I say how refreshing it is to be signing someone who meets our requirements. From what I can find he’s left-footed, he’s described as cultured and capable of playing our from the back and even as athletic. He’s also captain of their B team so hopefully has some leadership skills as well. That’s a great fit for what we need and a refreshing change from previous deadline day deals like when we needed a striker and ended up with Mellish or we needed some quality in midfield and got Josh Wright or when we threw everyone by signing Theo Robinson and then spent the next two and a half years trying to off-load him and his contract. Too often we seem to have signed someone for the sake of signing someone. This however is someone who it is obvious where they fit in the plans. No square pegs in round holes.

I know the drill, Stan.

Chris is a journalist, he reports what he either believes to be true ( sources) or knows to be true ( club officials).

When he was told "absolutely no truth in", that was factual.

When the football department worked through potential incomings, there were names on the list yesterday that weren't in there a day or two or three before. That happened even in longstanding transfer plans nevermind a deadline day coming after defensive performances recently that dictated that an emergence loan or two was needed.

The nub of many of the posters in this thread seems to be that Chris Phillips, a well respected journalist was lied to by the club. Not only is that absurd but it goes against the grain of a message I sent Chris and the BBC Essex guys when I joined. That at every opportunity, the club would give good and clear information where possible in the spirit of local journalists being the most important media to the club.

So the notion that with the evidence above being crystal clear about deadline day-constant names coming up -dealing with clubs- negotiating the deal -needing bodies in the building quickly was some sort of exercise to stitch up Chris Phillips is nonsense.

The club official gave the "absolutely no truth" comment to Chris, Chris reported it and then the football department which was going through every available name, speaking to clubs ( I spoke to QPR, asked about Gubbins, who was due to play in a game against Ebsfleet 2 days ago, a game where he played a half. They were then prepared to loan him out on the back of their in house analysis of his fitness, which only would have concluded yesterday) had Gubbins as a live option.

This is how football works.

Chris posted "absolutely no chance" 3 days ago? Gubbins played 2 days ago. Other clubs may or may not have been interested from Wednesday night to Thursday morning QPR decision on loan. We then, on QPR assessment of his status ( he had an injury) made the call.

No smoking gun, no disrespect shown to local journalists, yet again a coherent process that makes sure we are armed with every piece of information we need to get what we want.

No more running commentary from me, uou all should know how football deals are done now and more importantly you should all know that not one person in the new set up has a history of stitching up supporters or journalists.

The "club lied" line is absurd. It just is.

PS, Chris just messaged to say thank you for setting the record straight. Doesn't exactly come across as a fractured relationship...
Once again thanks for taking the time out to go into so much detail to set the record straight.

This is so far and above what has gone before AND over and above what supporters of other clubs get. Just another demonstration to the Zone, or it should be, that you are delivering open, coherent updates, when appropriate, just as you said you would when you were coming onboard.

Once again thanks for all you and the management team are doing and trying to achieve, so that we can all move on together.

UTB

Thanks Stan for the feedback and clarification. I will now take my tongue out of my cheek as my post was purely in jest. It does happen sometimes on Fans Boards.:Winking:
Just like my post, hence the laughing rolling about emoji. Begining to think the Zone is getting too serious

It's quite nice to sign players on loan and believe they're going to benefit us.

Brunt, Lopata, Neal. None of them have been loans for the sake of it, for the need to fill a shirt like it has been in the past. With the structure that's in place is see no reason why Gubbins wouldn't be the same. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Blimey we have just signed a player that could prove to be a fantastic signing and I’m hearing people are up in arms over a story that was unfortunately not 100% .

Surely Stan or any club official has better things to do than spend time having to justify what went on

Welcome aboard Gubbins

It is testimony to our new set-up that we are actually signing specific players to suit our requirements, rather than our old habit of desperation signings.

Back