• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Joe Gubbins

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
Former loanee, Joe Gubbins misses out on the match day squad for QPR’s 3-2 victory over Boro.

To be fair, Coulson fitted that bill perfectly and he didn't work out.
We need to be a bit more careful about who we pick then, and try to identify someone a tad younger and less injury-prone. That doesn't change what we need! We have enough "cultured" defenders who can bring the ball out and are good with their feet. We need someone to dominate in the air and do the dirty work. At the moment we are just getting bullied.

We need to be a bit more careful about who we pick then, and try to identify someone a tad younger and less injury-prone. That doesn't change what we need! We have enough "cultured" defenders who can bring the ball out and are good with their feet. We need someone to dominate in the air and do the dirty work. At the moment we are just getting bullied.

I agree. We appear to be “too nice” to play against our back 3/5.

Not seen Lomas or Gus yet, so can’t judge them, however the others are all neat and tidy, comfortable in possession, but none of them organise the others, drag them into position, give them a bollocking if their man scores etc.

We need someone to go and stick his head on everything. We are vulnerable at set pieces, and not a threat on our own set pieces. How we could do with a Adam Barrett, a Mark Phillips, a Efe Sodje, a Spinner, a Eagle, a certain Pole…

Gubbins would be a nice to have, and would fit in with our other defenders, but doesn’t solve the problem. In an ideal world, we get Gubbins to fill the LCB role, with Ralph moving to LWB. A dominant centre half in the middle, then Lomas/Kensdale/Hobson fighting over the RCB position.

Not seen Lomas or Gus yet, so can’t judge them, however the others are all neat and tidy, comfortable in possession, but none of them organise the others, drag them into position, give them a bollocking if their man scores etc.

From the 45 minutes I saw of Lomas against Concord he struck me as a very similar player to Kensdale. Definitely more him than Lopata like anyway.

From the 45 minutes I saw of Lomas against Concord he struck me as a very similar player to Kensdale. Definitely more him than Lopata like anyway.

That was the impression I got from reading about him, but didn’t want to pigeon hole him as that without seeing him play.

Kev & co know we need to strengthen in both boxes, and are working round the clock to make that happen. Hopefully some of our issues are dealt with before the weekend.

Well of course. But we are in division 5. I was just making the point that a dominating, ugly slab head of a CB is only half the ticket. Getting one that is also quick and can turn more quickly than the QE2 who also is within our budget AND who happens to be available and wants to play in division 5 may be a lot trickier.

But as with others, I agree with the sentiment. We are too nice at the back and need a bit of strength and dominance.

Former loanee, Joe Gubbins misses out on the match day squad for QPR’s 3-2 victory over Boro.
How comes Gubbins is on ex shrimpers and we are still interested in him but Lapota is not on ex Shrimpers and we are still interested in him?

How comes Gubbins is on ex shrimpers and we are still interested in him but Lapota is not on ex Shrimpers and we are still interested in him?

Because I started a thread on Gubbins here, because I hadn’t seen it mentioned anywhere else.

It can be moved to the transfer thread if the mods wish.

He's also someone who can take a long throw , none of the others playing on Saturday could.

Then we definitely need to be going all out for someone more in the mould of Łopata.

Yes, without doubt but I guess more easily said than done - the difference KL immediately bought to the team and the organisation and confidence was immense.

Back