• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Joe Sibley v Harry Threadgold 1:4 - poll now added

Who was the greater Southend legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I remember watching Harry in goal when I was a boy and my Uncle Cricko used to take me to Roots Hall. As previously stated he was probably the most fearless keeper ever --- Harry, not Uncle Cricko--- but had bad eyesight when floodlit football arrived. Brave does not come into it, heroic is the best word to use to describe him.
His son John was kit-man till the Dave Webb cull of large earners a few years ago.

Has to be Harry as I never saw Joe - remember Harry at the Ship as well - probably went there with Barna leading me astray. Remember Harry as an `entertaining` goalkeeper.

Before my time but Joe Sibley was my mates grandad and seeing as my season ticket seat is next to his that sways my vote.

Bout time i posted after lurking for so long so here goes, would have to be Joe Sibley due to also being my mates Grandad and also my wife was his carer.
I have read a scrapbook on his life and it was fascinating reading

Bout time i posted after lurking for so long so here goes, would have to be Joe Sibley due to also being my mates Grandad and also my wife was his carer.

Welcome to the Zone bigjay.

Blues player Joe dies, aged 86

Friday 29th February 2008

joesibley.jpg

In action - winger Joe Sibley, left

FORMER Southend United winger Joe Sibley has died aged 86.

Mr Sibley, of Lyme Road, Southchurch, made his debut for the Blues in 1937 and went on to make 226 appearances for the team, scoring 44 goals.

The Second World War halted his career and he served in the RAF at Ruislip until he signed for Newcastle in 1947.

A right winger, he rejoined the Blues in 1950, before retiring in 1955.

Former Echo editor Jim Worsdale has vivid memories of Mr Sibley and his wife, Phyllis, who were married for 66 years.

Mr Worsdale said: "Joe was from the era of long shorts, leather footballs and steel toe-cap leather boots.

"He played for Southend before and after the war, at the old Grainger Road stadium."

Mr Sibley met his wife when they were teenagers, as they both went to the same school in Thurrock.

Mrs Sibley said she was proud of her husband's footballing career, adding: "He also played with the Robledo brothers at Newcastle.”

Here is some Pathe newsreel film footage of Granger Road Stadium, the match is Southend Vs Bristol Rovers F.A. Cup 4th Round http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=29727

Listen out for “Bristol taking free kick. Ball out to Sibley he is heavily charged over by Lambden. They shape up, referee intervenes”.

Joe Sibley was indeed Football and Cricket master at “Eton House” Southchurch Lawn, he was a great character, and used to tell us boys about his time as a pro footballer. He was still quick into his forties, and could put in a crunching tackle, I still have the scars to prove it.

So my vote has to go to Joe, great player and master. RIP Joe.

Incidentally headmaster at “Eton House” in my time was Ian Tomlinson (Bubbles).

Here is some Pathe newsreel film footage of Granger Road Stadium, the match is Southend Vs Bristol Rovers F.A. Cup 4th Round http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=29727

Listen out for “Bristol taking free kick. Ball out to Sibley he is heavily charged over by Lambden. They shape up, referee intervenes”.

Joe Sibley was indeed Football and Cricket master at “Eton House” Southchurch Lawn, he was a great character, and used to tell us boys about his time as a pro footballer. He was still quick into his forties, and could put in a crunching tackle, I still have the scars to prove it.

So my vote has to go to Joe, great player and master. RIP Joe.

Incidentally headmaster at “Eton House” in my time was Ian Tomlinson (Bubbles).

great post that.

Finishes in a tie!

Any last minute pleadings, especially from anyone who saw both play? Am finding it quite hard to separate these two legends.

about time you posted on here.

Have seen reports/footage of Joe Sibley play and have heard many good things about him from his grandson, who is a season ticket holder at SUFC so is carrying on the family tie to the club does that sway it?

I saw both players throughout their playing years with the Blues and am happy to give my casting vote to Joe, because as popular as Harry was with the fans, he didn't have the skills and playing ability that Joe had.

I saw both players throughout their playing years with the Blues and am happy to give my casting vote to Joe, because as popular as Harry was with the fans, he didn't have the skills and playing ability that Joe had.

Oi, it's my casting vote:thump: :smile:

but that seals it for me and Joe Sibley is through to the next round. Draw to take place shortly.

Back