• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Joe Sibley v Harry Threadgold 1:4 - poll now added

Who was the greater Southend legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Sibley v Threadgold.

Post your stories and the poll will follow tomorrow.

I'm sure BlueBloodUSA will be relieved that this isn't a night fixture for his man.

Joe is my selection and I have to own up to personal interest.
He was a speedy and skilful right winger who played over 200 league and cup games in two spells with Blues .
He made countless goals with his amazing ability to cross the ball and still found time to help himself to nearly 50 goals himself.
He got transferred to Newcastle in 1947 (big money deal in those days) but couldn't settle up North and came back to us to finish his career in the mid 50s.
After that he became a Sports Master and he attempted to teach me & 1000s of others how to play football properly .He wouldn't accept poor attitude on the pitch and would rather have a limited player with the right approach than a talented pillock in his teams.
He was also the straightest bloke you could ever hope to meet.He passed away a couple of years ago - aged nearly 90 - and a significant number of ex Blues players turned up to pay their last respects at the funeral (including some who had never played with him) - such was the manner of the man.

These 2 are a bit before my time , but I do seem to recall Joe Sibley being the sports master at Eton House for awhile.

Great post Distant Blue, Sibley was before my time so that's very enlightning.

I remember Harry Threadgold at the tail end of his career, he was a great character and Blues stalwart, I'd wager by his own admission that he wasn't one of the greatest keepers we've had at Roots Hall.

Looks like I'll be voting for Joe Sibley.

Joe Sibly was before my time so can't comment. Harry Threadgold I do remember, a great club man but as Canveyshrimper says not the best gaolkeeper we ever had by any stretch of the imagination. Like CS I'll therefore vote for Joe.

joe sibley all day long as heard many stories of this bloke and he was me mates grandad who passed away a couple of years ago.

Harry Threadgold I certainly remember as quite a character in goal for us.He also IIRC took over as the manager of the Spread Eagle on Southend seafront.Seem to remember going there for lunchtime stripshows in the 6th form!
Jo Sibley was before my time but I was interested to hear that he was games master at Eton House.I nearly ended up going there after Highfield College closed down.

Again Joe Sibley was before nearly everyones time,but his credentuals have been explained above. Harry Threadgold on the other hand i new quite well, harry always had problems once the floodlights were switched on, his eyesight wasnt all it should have been, but had a decent career, without being Southend greatest keeper. Got to no him after he retired when we both played for Southchurch Rovers, he played centre forward, and he wasnt to shabby. He later run the Ship pub on the front. Will always have fond memorys of Harry, but must go for Joe Sibley.

Harry Threadgold I certainly remember as quite a character in goal for us.He also IIRC took over as the manager of the Spread Eagle on Southend seafront.Seem to remember going there for lunchtime stripshows in the 6th form!
Jo Sibley was before my time but I was interested to hear that he was games master at Eton House.I nearly ended up going there after Highfield College closed down.

Good grief you went to Highfield College so did I and from there went to Eton house after it closed down......Mr Steggles I think was the head master.

Harry Threadgold I certainly remember as quite a character in goal for us.He also IIRC took over as the manager of the Spread Eagle on Southend seafront.Seem to remember going there for lunchtime stripshows in the 6th form!Jo Sibley was before my time but I was interested to hear that he was games master at Eton House.I nearly ended up going there after Highfield College closed down.

The usual story that you were young and needed the money?

Just to clear up this Ship pub and Spread eagle. Harry def run the ship which is next door to the Foresters on the sea front, now most likely called something else. The only Spread Eagle i no is outside the ground, but il stand to be corrected, its been a while since i have stepped foot in Southend

These comparisons and polls are right up my strasse!! Brings back so many memories. All I know about these two is that Harry Threadgold was the bravest, most fearless goalkeeper i ever watched play the game. Ok he wasn't the best but those who saw the horrible back injury he suffered diving at the feet of Ron Saunders against Yeovil in the FA Cup, and then for him to carry on outfield, will never forget it. Many a time I stood behind his goal and cringed as he dived in where most would fear to tread. A lovely man to boot, as deaf as a post but always spoke and always had time for the fans. My dad always raved about Joe Sibley but sadly I never saw him play. So it's Harry for me!! One of the match report headlines soon after his arrival from Sunderland read..."They are (SUFC fans) so wild about Harry!

Again Joe Sibley was before nearly everyones time,but his credentuals have been explained above. Harry Threadgold on the other hand i new quite well, harry always had problems once the floodlights were switched on, his eyesight wasnt all it should have been, but had a decent career, without being Southend greatest keeper. Got to no him after he retired when we both played for Southchurch Rovers, he played centre forward, and he wasnt to shabby. He later run the Ship pub on the front. Will always have fond memorys of Harry, but must go for Joe Sibley.

You're right of course,it WAS The Ship!

Tough one for me as I saw both play @ Grainger Road before Joe Sibley retired in 1956. Harry went on to Roots Hall until he retired in 1963. Several tributes have been written on Joe's behalf, so here's my brief offering on behalf of Southend goalkeeping legend Harry Threadgold.

Harry signed for us in 1953 from Sunderland as a highly rated keeper. He made almost 350 appearances in his 10-year career @ Southend. Harry was a good all-round keeper who commanded his penalty area. He was absolutely fearless, often diving at oncoming forwards' feet to deny them goalscoring opportunities. A feat he repeated to his cost in 1958 against Yeovil Town in a 1st Round FA Cup tie @ Roots Hall. Harry was heavily concussed and suffering from double vision, yet bravely appeared in the 2nd half. Taking regular whiffs of smelling salts whilst trying to make a contribution from the unlikely position of right wing, he was unfortunatley little more than of nuisance value. In my view, he was never the same keeper after that incident. He was particularly vulnerable under the glare of floodlights, yet he was still good enough to retian his place in the side.

Harry was a useful cricketer and used to turn out for Prittlewell CC along with Blues forward Kevin Baron. Harry ran The Ship on the seafront for many years after his retirement before he passed away in 1996.

A true blue legend, it's Harry Threadgold for me.

Tough one for me as I saw both play @ Grainger Road before Joe Sibley retired in 1956. Harry went on to Roots Hall until he retired in 1963. Several tributes have been written on Joe's behalf, so here's my brief offering on behalf of Southend goalkeeping legend Harry Threadgold.

Harry signed for us in 1953 from Sunderland as a highly rated keeper. He made almost 350 appearances in his 10-year career @ Southend. Harry was a good all-round keeper who commanded his penalty area. He was absolutely fearless, often diving at oncoming forwards' feet to deny them goalscoring opportunities. A feat he repeated to his cost in 1958 against Yeovil Town in a 1st Round FA Cup tie @ Roots Hall. Harry was heavily concussed and suffering from double vision, yet bravely appeared in the 2nd half. Taking regular whiffs of smelling salts whilst trying to make a contribution from the unlikely position of right wing, he was unfortunatley little more than of nuisance value. In my view, he was never the same keeper after that incident. He was particularly vulnerable under the glare of floodlights, yet he was still good enough to retian his place in the side.

Harry was a useful cricketer and used to turn out for Prittlewell CC along with Blues forward Kevin Baron. Harry ran The Ship on the seafront for many years after his retirement before he passed away in 1996.

A true blue legend, it's Harry Threadgold for me.
Nice one Westie, good to hear your memories.

Harry was a legend and I saw him at the Stadium and RH. His deafness was caused by his time in the navy in the wartime if I remember correctly. Was he a gunner? Does anyone remember how he would watch his goal kicks soar away with that slightly crouching stance, with head tilted to one side? His daughter Helen was a PE teacher at Sweyne School, Rayleigh if memory serves. Harry for me.

Back