• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Joey Barton

sufc_dave

Manager
What does everyone think of Barton being allowed to go on a free? Personally I hope he doesn't find another club. He is a TERRIBLE role model and is very arrogant with his twitter rantings, some saying how he is the best English midfielder. I would choose Wilshere, Lampard or Gerrard anyday other him.

How does everyone else rate him?

I think he's a quality midfielder. Complete **** off the pitch though and some of his actions have been disgusting.

However, on twitter I think he's good value... and it's plain to see that there's some bad stuff happening behinds the scenes in Newcastle and he hasn't been the only player to speak out about it.

I think he's a quality midfielder. Complete **** off the pitch though and some of his actions have been disgusting.

However, on twitter I think he's good value... and it's plain to see that there's some bad stuff happening behinds the scenes in Newcastle and he hasn't been the only player to speak out about it.

Er, he's a complete **** on the pitch aswell!

Decent enough player but he's a thug.

It's not his job to be a role model. It's his job to be as good a player as possible for his employers.

While much of what he has done off the field is reprehensible, that doesn't preclude him from being one of England's leading midfielders.

I assume he'll end up at one of the bigger 'middle tier' Prem clubs, e.g. Villa or Everton. I think the latter would be a particularly good fit, I'd imagine Moyes getting the best out of him.

He seems a less than pleasant bloke at best as some of his off the pitch shenanigans have been well reported.

But a half decent player who even with a signing on fee will surely seem a risk worse taking for another Premier League manager.

It's not his job to be a role model. It's his job to be as good a player as possible for his employers.

While much of what he has done off the field is reprehensible, that doesn't preclude him from being one of England's leading midfielders.

I assume he'll end up at one of the bigger 'middle tier' Prem clubs, e.g. Villa or Everton. I think the latter would be a particularly good fit, I'd imagine Moyes getting the best out of him.

It might not be his job to be a role model, buts let be honest not many modern day footballers are nowadays. Would you want someone like him playing for the mighty Blues though?

Barton is a quality midfielder who really showed what he can do on the field last season. Seems like he's managing to reign in his off the field antics (and on-field ones too) and if being arrogant on twitter is his worst crime at the moment then there's plenty of other footballers who should be arrested too. If it wasn't for his past he'd be a shoe-in for the England squad right now.

It might not be his job to be a role model, buts let be honest not many modern day footballers are nowadays. Would you want someone like him playing for the mighty Blues though?

You mean someone arrested, tried & found guilty, we've got one of those haven't we? I know the circumstances are totally different but let's not be hypocrites. If a lg2 version of Barton became available I'd hope we'd look at him, as I imagine alot of premiership managers are this morning.

Barton is a quality midfielder who really showed what he can do on the field last season. Seems like he's managing to reign in his off the field antics (and on-field ones too) and if being arrogant on twitter is his worst crime at the moment then there's plenty of other footballers who should be arrested too. If it wasn't for his past he'd be a shoe-in for the England squad right now.

You mean someone arrested, tried & found guilty, we've got one of those haven't we? I know the circumstances are totally different but let's not be hypocrites. If a lg2 version of Barton became available I'd hope we'd look at him, as I imagine alot of premiership managers are this morning.

Fair enough. I wouldn't say he's cleaned up his act completely, remember him punching someone off the ball last season and getting sent-off. He's a still a bit of a loose cannon IMO. Of course he will find another club there's not of a question of that not happening.

Exactly.

Barton himself? I'd be delighted if he signed for Southend, not that it'd ever happen of course. Lest we forget, one of our all time greats (Collymore) slapped his girlfriend around and we'd all have welcomed Stanley back at any point in his playing career.

Fair enough. I wouldn't say he's cleaned up his act completely, remember him punching someone off the ball last season and getting sent-off. He's a still a bit of a loose cannon IMO. Of course he will find another club there's not of a question of that not happening.

I'm not saying he's turned over a new leaf but he's improved his behaviour alot, and that despte the fact alot of players try to provoke him knowing his reputation, I seem to recall far more instances of him being wronged rather than being the aggressor last season.

While he'll most likely end up at a Villa or Everton, it wouldn't suprise me if someone like Spurs or even Arsenal were interested. It's a massive mistake by Ashley to let him go for nothing, but then he is a total tool.

He HAD to improve his behaviour otherwise who knows where he'd be now (probably inside!).

Can maybe see Spurs taking a punt, agreed that the Toon shouldn't have let him leave for nothing especially after letting Nolan go aswell!

I can't see Arsenal or Spurs taking him (unless Modric does go in that big fiasco). It would probably be a team like Stoke or Sunderland where he would fit in quite well. I don't think many of the big teams can be bothered to deal with all the hype surrounding him

Overrated, overpaid, delusional. And thats just his agent- 'inundated' with interest- yeah right! Says Arsenal wouldve won the title if he had been there last season- ha! Hes an arcehtypal spoilt brat, a complete thug, who can perhaps express himself a bit more coherently than some footballers so that makes him worth writing about? Do me a favour, he will end up at Wigan or Blackburn and will never play for England thats for sure.

Good midfielder and Newcastle are stupid to let go of him, as they were of Nolan. What is going on in that club? Just when you think they're getting back on track and getting some stability to the club their owners go and let arguably their 2 best players and 2 of the biggest characters in their dressing room last season leave. Ridiculous. However, I'm not sure if he's international standard and he obviously comes with a lot of baggage. I follow him on Twitter and he's put a lot of statuses about the riots which are a bit self-righteous coming from him but he does seem to have improved himself off the field and at least he cares about what's going on and isn't afraid to speak about it (this goes for him criticising the Newcastle leadership and insulting journalists too). As has been said, he'll probably get a mid-level Premiership club, although I read rumours today that Zenit St. Petersburg are interested.

Good to see this reformed character on his best behaviour yesterday. That slap must have been really hard for him to go down like he did.

5284d7bb-b7d6-d267.jpg

Back