• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

John Cooper Works Mini

Bielzibubz

President
Well, after much deliberation the boy racer, mid life crisis part of my next car choice won and this afternoon I pick my John Cooper Works Mini. I know some of you will consider this foolhardy but to tell the truth...........I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FEK :D

With 211 bhp under my right foot, the blip blip sound coming from the race exhaust, the crisp ultra responsive handling coming from the uprated suspension and brakes I KNOW it's going to take a long long time to wipe the grin off my ugly mug :finger:

I test drove a number of cars, Lexus IS220D, Audi A4 1.8T, Audi A3 TDI, Mercs, BMW's but nothing came remotely close to giving me the same thrill factor.

0 to 60 in 6.4 secs, stunning mid range torque, 142 top end........what more could you ask for with no wife to try and please and no kids to keep quiet in the back?

So, if at the next game you see a middle aged loony with a constant grin on his face you'll know why :p

Phil

Well, after much deliberation the boy racer, mid life crisis part of my next car choice won and this afternoon I pick my John Cooper Works Mini. I know some of you will consider this foolhardy but to tell the truth...........I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FEK :D

With 211 bhp under my right foot, the blip blip sound coming from the race exhaust, the crisp ultra responsive handling coming from the uprated suspension and brakes I KNOW it's going to take a long long time to wipe the grin off my ugly mug :finger:

I test drove a number of cars, Lexus IS220D, Audi A4 1.8T, Audi A3 TDI, Mercs, BMW's but nothing came remotely close to giving me the same thrill factor.

0 to 60 in 6.4 secs, stunning mid range torque, 142 top end........what more could you ask for with no wife to try and please and no kids to keep quiet in the back?

So, if at the next game you see a middle aged loony with a constant grin on his face you'll know why :p

Phil

Good luck with those run flat tyres at £280 a pop when they go

An excellent choice.
I loved my plain old Cooper so can only imagine was an S-Works would be like to drive.
As said though, I'd try & offload the runflats, they were a right pain in the a*se!

After reading numerous forums that's exactly what I'm going to do. Everything I've read about them points to them increasing hardness of the ride and road noise. As soon as I get the first go on me it's a change of all four to standard.

photos please

Went for black wheels instead and still got a few carbon bits and bobs of body parts to fit but........................

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Phil

Last edited:
Nice, I used to have one of the limited edition JCW GP's and that was intense. I got rid of it early this year and have replaced it with a Porsche Cayman S. But I tell you what I really enjoyed owning the Mini it was great fun, just like a little go kart. Handles well and certainly had some poke to it.

Hmm dunno Scott. With the ASC (Automatic Stability Control) turned off, which stops the power dropping if the front wheels start to lose grip and gives an extra 10% at the turbo, believe me.......it shifts :) I've not really given it the big heave ho yet but if you floor it at 4000rpm in either second or third the kick in the back is unbelievable.

Hmm dunno Scott. With the ASC (Automatic Stability Control) turned off, which stops the power dropping if the front wheels start to lose grip and gives an extra 10% at the turbo, believe me.......it shifts :) I've not really given it the big heave ho yet but if you floor it at 4000rpm in either second or third the kick in the back is unbelievable.

That's strange I thought the 2003 model had a supercharger? They didn't change to Turbocharger's untill when they facelifted it in about 06.

I thought it was early 2003 with the change in 2006 being to a smaller but just as powerful Garret ?????? Now I assumed, because I aint read the handbook or nowt, that the shell shaped thing on the right of the manifold under the bonnet was the turbo, maybe not, maybe it's a supercharger. Either way The Mini Register forum says turning the ASC off gives an extra 10% power, doesn't mention whether turbo or supercharger though, which I assume is why when reading certain blogs some state the JWC power output is 196bhp and some say 211bhp.

That would also explain the 'whine' when flooring it rather than a breathing sound coming from under the bonnet ;)

Need to have a drag somewhere then

The Wolfrace Asia-Tech Kendo's I do believe.

The exact same as what i have on my Focus Black

You believe right my friend. Rochford Tyres had this little computer programme, much like the BMW Mini site does, that lets you look at what your car would look like with different wheels before buying them. That's why I plumped for gloss black instead of white.

Phil

You believe right my friend. Rochford Tyres had this little computer programme, much like the BMW Mini site does, that lets you look at what your car would look like with different wheels before buying them. That's why I plumped for gloss black instead of white.

Phil

How much did they cost you? I got mine from Rochford Tyres aswell. Had mine when they were brand-new out, about 3-4 years ago. The rims cost me £320 and I bought the low-profile tyres from Chadwell Tyres, which cost me £205. So £525 in total. I'm interested to see if, and by how much the cost has dropped

Back