• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

John McDonnell

On Tuesday evening John McDonnell came to my work and did a speech on Labour's economic policy.
The oddest thing was that it was basically a social democrat speech. It could have been given by Ed Miliband, Gordon Brown or Tony Blair.
There wasn't a lot that he said that I or any other centre left, and some on the centre right, could really disagree with: productivity is a problem, inequality is a problem and inefficient, we need to be more like Germany etc etc.

occasionally the mask slipped and the Trots selling their Marxist paper outside would have been happy with some of what he said in the Q&A.
you could tell he's been a backbencher coz he can't resist going on about he's always right and sniping at anyone who's disagreed with him or those in the PLP who don't agree.

finally, he seems to have completely missed the irony that he's a life-long rebel who's now criticising people for speaking their minds and not agreeing with the leadership on everyone

On Tuesday evening John McDonnell came to my work and did a speech on Labour's economic policy.
The oddest thing was that it was basically a social democrat speech. It could have been given by Ed Miliband, Gordon Brown or Tony Blair.
There wasn't a lot that he said that I or any other centre left, and some on the centre right, could really disagree with: productivity is a problem, inequality is a problem and inefficient, we need to be more like Germany etc etc.

occasionally the mask slipped and the Trots selling their Marxist paper outside would have been happy with some of what he said in the Q&A.
you could tell he's been a backbencher coz he can't resist going on about he's always right and sniping at anyone who's disagreed with him or those in the PLP who don't agree.

finally, he seems to have completely missed the irony that he's a life-long rebel who's now criticising people for speaking their minds and not agreeing with the leadership on everyone

Remember he was Jeremy Corbyn's campaign manager and the hard man of the left in JC's team.

Also, that unlike JC he has experience of actually running things when he was Red Ken's finance minister at the GLC.

A brilliant man apparenly.

Remember he was Jeremy Corbyn's campaign manager and the hard man of the left in JC's team.

Also, that unlike JC he has experience of actually running things when he was Red Ken's finance minister at the GLC.

A brilliant man apparenly.

i know, Ken sacked him for making gestures rather than doing the job.

i know people who've known him professionally for a long time and have also heard many things said about him but brilliant has never been one of them

i know, Ken sacked him for making gestures rather than doing the job.

i know people who've known him professionally for a long time and have also heard many things said about him but brilliant has never been one of them

It was a direct quote from Rosa Prince's new biography of JC Comrade Corbyn.

I'd describe him as highly intelligent with a good grasp of left wing economics,myself.

I'd describe him as highly intelligent with a good grasp of left wing economics,myself.

I wonder if there is a left- wing government in power in any nation where there is success for all its people. These guys aren't left wing they are far left wing. The politics of envy and revenge. I'm all for centre left.....but that is not what jezza and his momentum cronies are after. They have now filled all the seats in the youth wing of the party with less than 4% turn out. The swing to the far left is well underway. Any within the party who wish to challenge will be ostrasized. Which as another poster has said is hypocrisy from those who constantly rebelled under previous labour leaders. Time for a new centre left party.

Macca and Jezza are dinosaurs from an era long forgotten and buried forever,they IMO have set the LP back at least a decade.

Yeah let's build nuke subs without the missiles:hilarious:

They are barmy.

I haven't read the book but the author did a launch at my work recently. Recording if you're interested: http://www.lse.ac.uk/government/research/resgroups/BGatLSE/Home.aspx#tabbedarea_L14_4

from the event on Tuesday i'd say that he's a competent oppositional politician. he hasn't convinced me i'd trust him to run anything

I wonder if there is a left- wing government in power in any nation where there is success for all its people. These guys aren't left wing they are far left wing. The politics of envy and revenge. I'm all for centre left.....but that is not what jezza and his momentum cronies are after. They have now filled all the seats in the youth wing of the party with less than 4% turn out. The swing to the far left is well underway. Any within the party who wish to challenge will be ostrasized. Which as another poster has said is hypocrisy from those who constantly rebelled under previous labour leaders. Time for a new centre left party.

Remember that Jeremy Corybn won the ballot for the leadership ion the first ballot with 59.5 % of the vote.Personally,I think that indicates he has a mandate to now re-shape Labour.

I haven't read the book but the author did a launch at my work recently. Recording if you're interested: http://www.lse.ac.uk/government/research/resgroups/BGatLSE/Home.aspx#tabbedarea_L14_4

Cheers.:thumbsup:

Back