• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours John McGreal...is our man?

As someone mentioned the other day, this is not the right time to be appointing an ex Col Utd manager. When Steve Wignall was appointed, a couple of poor performances saw the fans turn very quickly.
We need someone who can provide a feel good factor from the outset. Be that Fagan, Maher or Peter Butler, all would be better alternatives in the current climate imo.

Genuinely wouldn’t be unhappy about this at all. We could do worse

I hope this rumour is not true. It seems like a Steve Wignall appointment to me, except that Wignall had a much better track record than John McGreal did at Colchester. Besides, the Chairman at Colchester said one of the reasons they were saying goodbye to McGreal is that Colchester were relying much more on their Academy and young players, and McGreal, in the words of Robbie Cowling, was not the right person to oversee that new strategy.

I think Southend can do much better than McGreal. I like the look of three possibilities - Craig Fagan, Darren Currie (although it may be he has already turned the opportunity) and Michael Jolley. I know the last name is a bit controversial but I believe he is a young manager with a lot of potential. He is intelligent, worked very effectively with young players at Burnley and Crystal Palace and is desperate to do well.

My absolute first pick would be Fagan. He knows our young players and comes across as an intelligent, balanced person who knows how to get the best out of Southend's young players. I also think Fagan is a disciplined but approachable person that is very knowledgeable about the game.

If the Chairman preferred McGreal to Fagan, I think we would be blowing an opportunity to appoint someone who has already made a very big impression at the club amongst staff and players.

I don't see the problem with an ex-Colchester United manager.

Anyone that manages us is going to have ambitions to manage at a higher level.

if it is with us or someone else we still reap the benefits if it comes to fruition.

I hope this rumour is not true. It seems like a Steve Wignall appointment to me, except that Wignall had a much better track record than John McGreal did at Colchester. Besides, the Chairman at Colchester said one of the reasons they were saying goodbye to McGreal is that Colchester were relying much more on their Academy and young players, and McGreal, in the words of Robbie Cowling, was not the right person to oversee that new strategy.

I think Southend can do much better than McGreal. I like the look of three possibilities - Craig Fagan, Darren Currie (although it may be he has already turned the opportunity) and Michael Jolley. I know the last name is a bit controversial but I believe he is a young manager with a lot of potential. He is intelligent, worked very effectively with young players at Burnley and Crystal Palace and is desperate to do well.

My absolute first pick would be Fagan. He knows our young players and comes across as an intelligent, balanced person who knows how to get the best out of Southend's young players. I also think Fagan is a disciplined but approachable person that is very knowledgeable about the game.

If the Chairman preferred McGreal to Fagan, I think we would be blowing an opportunity to appoint someone who has already made a very big impression at the club amongst staff and players.

That is an interesting point to note. He wouldn’t really have much choice here.

McGreal thought he was holding all the cards when he had the infamous meeting with Cowling on 03/07. Tranmere wanted him, so he was more confident than usual in his demands for next season.
Cowling was already tempted to get shot of him as a cost cutting exercise, he then spotted an opportunity to get some compensation from Tranmere. The two clubs could not agree on a fee, only when it became apparent (two weeks later) that Tranmere were going to appoint an internal candidate instead, did Cowling announce that McGreal would be leaving.

If thats true then i wonder about Craig Fagan will he stay or leave ,i for one hope he stays as assistant manager to learn more in view of being our next manager.Would be good to have a succession plan put in motion.
Hes the 23s manager of course he will stay.

Could be a wind up from a fan who didn’t like his playing style and wants to take the opportunity to **** stir with the local rivals..
His scouse accent annoyed me every time I heard it on BBC Essex after games. I was hoping never to hear it again
No objection whatsoever to his accent but as for the drivel he continually spouted......

Reactions: ace
Very uninspiring if true .....having suffered hearing Col U fans constantly moaning about his style and tactics for the last few seasons would rather gamble with Fagin
Haha football fans are in general idiots, there’s a lot of Southend fans that will tell you Phil Brown was a crap manager, he took us up and nearly made league 1 play offs in his time here. League 2 play offs is good for them

In this league, one thing counts
In the bank, large amounts
I'm afraid these don't grow on trees,
You've got to pick a youngster or two
You've got to pick a couple of new boys
You've got to pick a youngster or two

Why should we break our backs
Stupidly paying tax?
Better off waiting to be wound up
Better to pick a youngster or two

Back