• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours John McGreal...is our man?

Well, no doubt our mutual friend will have great expectations - however the hard times we're going through RM must feel like the haunted man......

However, back on topic, I reckon JMcG might just be worth a shot :Footballer:

I heard a rumour it might be Graham Parker (*)

(*) one for the over 50’s

Interestingly since Barnet just got knocked out of the play offs by Notts County, Darren Currie has jumped to favourite with the bookies.

I still believe its John McGreal's job though.

I sincerely hope that it isn't McGreal. Hasn't a particularly good track record of bringing the younsters through. Clearly. Cowling thought he wasn't the right man to align the Col U 1st team more closely with the Academy. Exactly the sort of job, he would have to do with us.

Should Ron move away from Craig Fagan, Kevin Maher etc, then Darren Currie has to be worth a punt. He is used to working on a shoestring.

Would only take a few poor results and the support will turn very quickly .Still think it will be a big mistake and underwhelming if he is the choice.

I think there will be a section of supporters no matter who is in charge who will be vocal if we had a few poor results, that’s just the nature of some football fans. The new man, whoever it is will need time to turn us around, I’m almost half expecting some poor results.

What makes him an underwhelming choice?

Could do a lot worse than McGreal. I'll get behind anyone we appoint and don't have an issue with him being ex-Col Ewe.

Reactions: GBJ
I sincerely hope that it isn't McGreal. Hasn't a particularly good track record of bringing the younsters through. Clearly. Cowling thought he wasn't the right man to align the Col U 1st team more closely with the Academy. Exactly the sort of job, he would have to do with us.

That’s not really a fair statement / assumption to make.

McGreal and Colchester have one of the best records for minutes played for academy products over the last few seasons.

Recently I believe they were 6th in a list nationally for minutes given to academy products and this list for league 2 last year has them at 4th in the division.

He took over in 2016 so alongside the academy minutes given, in his 4 full seasons he finished 8th, 13th, 8th and 6th.

On Colchester’s crowds / budget that’s not too bad at all to be fair?

For the record I’m favouring Currie or Fagan so I’m not calling for McGreal at all. Just didn’t think that’s a fair criticism.18C4E9D9-3500-4811-8FF7-A895D517F149.png

No he isn’t, keep it with a manager that knows how to get the best out of the youngsters and that cares for the club please.

No he isn’t, keep it with a manager that knows how to get the best out of the youngsters and that cares for the club please.

Generally confused by this "cares for the club" requirement. Chris Powell cared for the club, that went well didn't it? Phil Brown and Paul Sturrock had no affiliation with the club before they took charge and both did good jobs. Whilst it's a bonus if you find someone ala Barrett or Maher who have the club at heart, it doesn't always mean they will do a good job.

John McGreal is coming off the back of a good season at this level, some might say he was unlucky not to get his team to Wembley. He had a young side who he got the most out of. Apart from his Colchester connections, what else puts you off appointing him?

Reactions: GBJ
Back