• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours John McGreal...is our man?

Really hope it’s not Mcgreal. The last thing we need is a manager that we can’t all get behind.

Yes, I think the majority of the crowd will be on his back after a few bad results, I doubt that would be the case if it were Fagan or Maher - they will get the support that Sol & Chris enjoyed for the majority of his time.

McGreal might have done an ok job up the road but he is not the man for us.

Really hope it’s not Mcgreal. The last thing we need is a manager that we can’t all get behind.

Yes, I think the majority of the crowd will be on his back after a few bad results, I doubt that would be the case if it were Fagan or Maher - they will get the support that Sol & Chris enjoyed for the majority of his time.

McGreal might have done an ok job up the road but he is not the man for us.
The people that post on here all have differing opinions on who we should appoint. I don’t believe there is one manager, if appointed everyone would be behind. Some will be happy, some won’t. It will be results that matter at the end of the day.

Reactions: GBJ
Generally confused by this "cares for the club" requirement. Chris Powell cared for the club, that went well didn't it? Phil Brown and Paul Sturrock had no affiliation with the club before they took charge and both did good jobs. Whilst it's a bonus if you find someone ala Barrett or Maher who have the club at heart, it doesn't always mean they will do a good job.

John McGreal is coming off the back of a good season at this level, some might say he was unlucky not to get his team to Wembley. He had a young side who he got the most out of. Apart from his Colchester connections, what else puts you off appointing him?
Just going what RM said, this one has to be the right appointmen, can’t see this being right one and don’t see many being happy if he gets job, I’d still go for Fagan or Maher if he’ll come.

Whoever we appoint will be in for a rough ride. There’s no two ways about that. Barrett, Maher, Fagan, Currie, McGreal, they’ll all get the treatment if/when we start losing games.

It’s all about expectations really. Anyone expecting promotions next season, should think again.

Next season will be all about staying in the football league.

Whoever we appoint will be in for a rough ride. There’s no two ways about that. Barrett, Maher, Fagan, Currie, McGreal, they’ll all get the treatment if/when we start losing games.

It’s all about expectations really. Anyone expecting promotions next season, should think again.

Spot on that.

Totally agree. Survival first, anything else a bonus. Because of our current situation we are not going to be a big fish in a small pond. Next season is a pivotal season, we survive and hopefully go on from there.

Totally agree. Survival first, anything else a bonus. Because of our current situation we are not going to be a big fish in a small pond. Next season is a pivotal season, we survive and hopefully go on from there.

Precisely.

Unfortunately, we’re already behind some teams too. As of tonight, the players still haven’t been given a date to return.

Interestingly since Barnet just got knocked out of the play offs by Notts County, Darren Currie has jumped to favourite with the bookies.

I still believe its John McGreal's job though.

I do not think McGreal's track record is good enough. He had four years at Colchester where he was better supported by his Chairman than most managers, but the club remain in Div. 2. I think the manager must go for someone who has exceptional promise and experience with youngsters like Craig Fagan or someone like Darren Currie who has done wonders in a very tough situation at Barnet.

Do we know if Darren Currie is interested in the job or is it all just speculation?

Needs to be a manager who stands a chance of uniting the fans behind him and the team. I don't believe McGreal would be that man.

It’s a fair point Kay, but I don’t think there’s anyone that will unite the fans, in truth.

Some people are already against the likes of Barrett & Maher, because they’re not experienced enough. If we went on a three or four game losing streak, the threads would start appearing on here saying how it was a mistake & we should have gone for someone with more experience.

It still worries me that the Col Utd scout said "prepared to be surprised" when Chris Phillips suggested he would be surprised if Mcgreal got the job.
CP was obviously itching to reveal that Currie was a strong contender on Friday night ahead of Barnet's play off semi final. I'm hoping his sources are more reliable.
We desperately need an announcement this week.... I just hope it's Currie.

It still worries me that the Col Utd scout said "prepared to be surprised" when Chris Phillips suggested he would be surprised if Mcgreal got the job.
CP was obviously itching to reveal that Currie was a strong contender on Friday night ahead of Barnet's play off semi final. I'm hoping his sources are more reliable.
We desperately need an announcement this week.... I just hope it's Currie.

I mean, CP's source is Ron Martin. Ron Martin has told CP "no" to McGreal as recently as last week.

Please not McGreal....plays crap football and interviews are terrible.....Currie sounds perfect for us

Back