• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was at the lincon game the day John broke his leg . I thought it was a sat game .And I rember it started a near riot at what was the railway end which housed both Southend and Lincon fans .The pack at that time was lead by the onces famous Ozzie . Sad to hear johns passing RIP super blue .

Spot on "Ozzie" Bill Garner made his league debut in a 1-0 defeat at York City on Sat. 22/11/69, the following Wednesday Blues travelled to Chester but left empty handed with a 2-0 loss. Then onto Saturday 29th. Garner made his home debut in the 2-2 draw with Aldershot (South Bank was closed due to snow) with goals from Billy Best & Eddie Clayton.
Due to the weather the attendance was only 2887, I believe it was the lowest gate since we moved to Roots Hall in 1955.
No the Southbank was open and three lone Southend supporters stood there , one of them was a boy called Derrick Brittian who was in my class at school .

Another true blue leaves us.been a real crap year all round,just got worse..may have been at the game when john broke his leg,not sure,but was at his last v aldershot..think they closed off the southbank.may have even been Bill Garners first home game-game for us??? very sad news,he will be having a beer with boss Ernie now then, rip mac
And Trevor Roberts .

Sad news. Tricky winger, and as you say, a crowd favourite. I was there when he broke his leg against Lincoln. It was a Monday night game and we won 3-0. Cant be sure, but i was in the East Stand, South Bank end, and think it was in that half of the pitch.
RIP 'Mac'
Yeah I was at that match in the North bank, and he broke his leg where you said

Devastating news. I met John many times and enjoyed his company. He was a truly great winger and will always be remembered. RIP wee man.

Sad news as in some of my earliest memories of attentending matches at Roots Hall we had John on one wing and Derek Woodley on the other as I recall.
Although John was quite slight for his height he was certainly brave as this was when it was ok for full backs to let the wingers 'know they were there' by giving them a kick but this never seemed to lessen his appetite to take his man on to try to create a chance for his team mates.

RIP John
(Thanks for the memories)

I can only re-iterate all that has been said. I've followed the Shrimpers since 1965 and remember that team well. Such good memories.

Great player. I remember a fantastic goal he scored against Crewe, fist time from outside the box.Also a goal when we beat Workington 7-0, beat three players and thumped it into the roof of the net. Very skilful. RIP

John Mckinven RIP

In my local paper( I live in Scotland) it was announced a local man who played football passed away . John Mckinven played for Raith Rovers 1957-58 then moved to Southend the following season scoring 66 goals in 306 appearances. Player of the year in 62 he was a left winger. Died due to complications from hip surgery

In my local paper( I live in Scotland) it was announced a local man who played football passed away . John Mckinven played for Raith Rovers 1957-58 then moved to Southend the following season scoring 66 goals in 306 appearances. Player of the year in 62 he was a left winger. Died due to complications from hip surgery
Supporters of a certain age will tell you he was one of greatest wingers Southend United have ever had . RIP John .

I think it might have been Alf Smirk writing in the Southend Standard that called him Kipper McKinven, presumably because, when he ran, he looked to have kipper feet. Good player, though, who provided telling crosses into the box for the likes of Ray Smith, Andy Smillie and Billy Best to put in the back of the net.​

One from my era too and 73 is no great age these days. Used to love watching him turn full backs inside out and, as has been mentioned, he cracked a few goals in too. RIP John.

Johnny Mac & king Billy Best,would get into Scottish team now, no probs

Back