• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
It is with deep sadness that I have heard of the death of former Shrimper John McKinven on July 25th.aged 73. He was one of my early hero's who joined Southend from Raith Rovers as an inside left. It was however when he switched to outside left that he became a real crowd favourite. His nickname was "skinny" due to his build with his hair always Brylcreemed down. He also liked a drink(what player didn't) as well as being a smoker. He went on to play over 300 matches for our club scoring over 60 goals. In the 1968-69 season John broke his leg against Lincoln City in a challenge with Graham Taylor(who later became England Manager) and did not play again that season. The following season John was unable to regain his place in the 1st.Team making only a couple more appearances, the last one being in the 2-2 draw against Aldershot in a snow storm in November 1969. He joined Cambridge United in December 1969 and helped them get into the Football League, and the following August John played in Cambridge United's first ever match in the football league against Lincoln City(including Graham Taylor again) alongside former Southend players Trevor Roberts & Melvyn Slack.

If you have any memories of John please share them with us and they will be passed on to his two children. "THANK YOU"

Sad news. Tricky winger, and as you say, a crowd favourite. I was there when he broke his leg against Lincoln. It was a Monday night game and we won 3-0. Cant be sure, but i was in the East Stand, South Bank end, and think it was in that half of the pitch.
RIP 'Mac'

That is really sad news.

My first ever Southend game as a kid was against Bristol Rovers in 1962 with McKinven scoring a hat tick in a 3 - 2 win, been following ever since.I vaguely remember the match he broke his leg, some said they head it crack from the terraces.

RIP Johnny Mac

A great servent of the club , perhaps one of the best wingers this club has had , hope the club give him a minutes silence against Walsall .

R,I.P. John. You along with Roy Hollis,Harry Threadgold and Sam McCrory are one of the reasons i follow SUFC. I hope SUFC at the first home game wear a Black Armband in memory of one of its finest.

Sad to hear this news, RIP John.

One of my all time favourite Blues player. Like others I was there the night that he suffered his broken leg, unfortunately he was never the same player again.

A true Blues legend, if you never saw him play you really missed a treat.

Sad news as in some of my earliest memories of attentending matches at Roots Hall we had John on one wing and Derek Woodley on the other as I recall.
Although John was quite slight for his height he was certainly brave as this was when it was ok for full backs to let the wingers 'know they were there' by giving them a kick but this never seemed to lessen his appetite to take his man on to try to create a chance for his team mates.

RIP John
(Thanks for the memories)

"There he goes down the wing,
Scores a goal now we'll sing,
Johnny Mac, Johnny Mac,
We're going back,
To Division Three"

Sad loss

Well before my time, but stories of the great players get passed down through the years so I'd heard plenty about him and am sad to hear this news.

RIP Johnny Mac

Bugger - my alltime favourite Blue - who used to work with my Dad building and decorating - good memories of a marvellous player - RIP John :sad:

A fantastic player and servant for SUFC.He ended up playing for Ferndale in the Southend Sunday League,along with Bobby King,Malcolm Slater,Mickie Wright and Derek Ewing.RIP "skinny John".He would be in my all time favourite team of SUFC players.

Probably my favourite player. Was also at Roots Hall on the South Bank the day he broke his leg. We used to call him "Spindly" McKinven. His goal scoring from the wing was excellent. Thanks for the memories Johnny Mac.

I remember John well, very skilful old-fashioned winger, accurate crosser, excellent ball control one of the best players the club has ever had, gave great service to the various centre-forwards he played with. He seemed a quiet guy on the pitch no histrionics always conducted himself well. Can't remember him being booked that often. Sadly missed.

I remember Johnny McFagAsh well - and am saddened to hear of his passing away. He was always a quality player that had so much time for the fans. R.I.P. John

I was also there the day John Mk broke his leg-or rather Graham (Reckless) Taylor went in too carelessly.
John was a smashing player and a nice chap that I remember meeting a couple of times.
Very sad news
RIP John

My earliest hero and the man who I modelled my tricky wing play on, except he had the talent and I didnt. A naturally gifted player for whom a fag and a drink was as important as a goal. I remember him hiding behind a Salvation Army Band player and drawing down on a ciggy just before running back onto the pitch after half time. A great player and a gentle easy going guy.

Another true blue leaves us.been a real crap year all round,just got worse..may have been at the game when john broke his leg,not sure,but was at his last v aldershot..think they closed off the southbank.may have even been Bill Garners first home game-game for us??? very sad news,he will be having a beer with boss Ernie now then, rip mac

Another true blue leaves us.been a real crap year all round,just got worse..may have been at the game when john broke his leg,not sure,but was at his last v aldershot..think they closed off the southbank.may have even been Bill Garners first home game-game for us??? very sad news,he will be having a beer with boss Ernie now then, rip mac
Spot on "Ozzie" Bill Garner made his league debut in a 1-0 defeat at York City on Sat. 22/11/69, the following Wednesday Blues travelled to Chester but left empty handed with a 2-0 loss. Then onto Saturday 29th. Garner made his home debut in the 2-2 draw with Aldershot (South Bank was closed due to snow) with goals from Billy Best & Eddie Clayton.
Due to the weather the attendance was only 2887, I believe it was the lowest gate since we moved to Roots Hall in 1955.

Back