• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

John Nielsen

I remember he got a great volley against Bolton in the season we went down (Custard Splat).

Sadly that footage has not turned on YouTube.

He's not a name I recognised at all and there wasn't anything with the link to show who he was! Obviously from the era when the ex kept me away from football.
Sadly for you Kay, this means you missed one of the single greatest strikes in Southend United's history*. As someone who missed Freddie's debut versus Swansea and the Man United game (the only two home games I missed in years), I can only empathise!

What. A. Strike.

* Rose tinted nostalgic vision may have played a part in this description.

John Neilsen - AKA The Vodka Monster

Used to be one of the regulars we'd bump into in Churchills on a Saturday night, could drink with the best of them that went out as a group. Often ended back at my (parents) house at the time for after closing drinks. Could sniff out an opened bottle of vodka from 300 yards but a top guy

I would love to see the goals from that 5-2 hammering of Bolton again.

Probably my favourite game. I was buzzing for days.

John Neilsen - AKA The Vodka Monster

Used to be one of the regulars we'd bump into in Churchills on a Saturday night, could drink with the best of them that went out as a group. Often ended back at my (parents) house at the time for after closing drinks. Could sniff out an opened bottle of vodka from 300 yards but a top guy

JN used to be a regular with the Pizza Hut delivery too. Whelan's team were such a bunch of **** artists weren't they?

I would love to see the goals from that 5-2 hammering of Bolton again.

Probably my favourite game. I was buzzing for days.

Still got the VHS of that season at my Mum and Dad's house. That was about the only game I watched - it had Keith Dublin on the cover. I recall that Essex were getting smashed by Lancashire in the one day final as the game went on and the announcer kept talking about the score, giving the Northern monkeys something to be excited about while they were getting taken apart by Mike Marsh.

Still got the VHS of that season at my Mum and Dad's house. That was about the only game I watched - it had Keith Dublin on the cover. I recall that Essex were getting smashed by Lancashire in the one day final as the game went on and the announcer kept talking about the score, giving the Northern monkeys something to be excited about while they were getting taken apart by Mike Marsh.

Unfortunately I was at Lords watching Essex get smashed that day and missing the biggest victory, including Johny's thunderbolt, in the process.

My mates didn't allow me to forget this for many years, probably up until I missed the Wembley play off final, now there's another game of which they will not let me forget....

Unfortunately I was at Lords watching Essex get smashed that day and missing the biggest victory, including Johny's thunderbolt, in the process.

So was I! :Cool:

The only good thing was we had some Lancs supporters sitting with us, so we were giving them stick that Southend were thrashing Bolton!

Back